Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown Amps

Their counter-offer to me just today was $179 and I countered that (their shipping charge is quite high). We'll see. Apparently ten left still. If you want top dollar for anything on Ebay you don't flood the market with fifteen at one time and certainly not in the same auction.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Greetings, All,

What does the PS-4 offer that the DC300A does not? Since I have two DC300A amps and one old DC300, do I "need" to think about a PS-4? I need to be careful on my spending right now, as we are waiting for a couple of bids for work that needs to be done on our place, and $$ are at a premium. I have a little discretionary money, but I've also been thinking about purchasing a nice 2245H, and can't really buy the amp AND another Crown. Thoughts, please? Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Greetings, All,

What does the PS-4 offer that the DC300A does not? Since I have two DC300A amps and one old DC300, do I "need" to think about a PS-4? I need to be careful on my spending right now, as we are waiting for a couple of bids for work that needs to be done on our place, and $$ are at a premium. I have a little discretionary money, but I've also been thinking about purchasing a nice 2245H, and can't really buy the amp AND another Crown. Thoughts, please? Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The Crown PS-4 offers a bit of newer circuitry then the original D series offered, something called Multi Mode. All the Power line and PS series have it, the amps pre driver stage operates in Class A for the first few watts, and has a sweet sounding midrange and more open and airy top end. havin g used D-75,s and the POWER LINE TWO, ESSENTIALLY THE SAME POWER FROM BOTH AMPS, I KNOW FIRST hand the power line 2 highs just sounded better to me.

I have 2 Power line 4,s, and also a Power line Three, and 5 Crown Power Line 2 amplifiers. In the midrange and hi frequency he DC-300 is said to get a bit grainy, but you won't hear this from a Power Line Four, which is essentially an enhanced DC-300A! At least in my opinion.

Another thing, the powe line and PS amps have the current output devices of their time, said to be better than what they used in the D series, and what was available then, when the D series was designed.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    The Crown PS-4 offers a bit of newer circuitry then the original D series offered, something called Multi Mode. All the Power line and PS series have it, the amps pre driver stage operates in Class A for the first few watts, and has a sweet sounding midrange and more open and airy top end. havin g used D-75,s and the POWER LINE TWO, ESSENTIALLY THE SAME POWER FROM BOTH AMPS, I KNOW FIRST hand the power line 2 highs just sounded better to me.
    I was looking for detail photos of the PowerLine Four and stumbled upon this old thread. I just recently swapped out my DC300A-II and D150A-II for a PS-400 and PS-200 in my bi-amped 4345 system and immediately noticed an improvement in the higher frequencies to the point I turned the L-pads back to flat. I'd love to be able to tell Scotty that his advice was right on the money, once again. Too bad. But I'll crank them up tonight in his memory!

I made the swap for the turn-on delay feature but now appreciate the sonic differences as well. The PS series has always been running under the radar. Paired with the equally-appreciated L7 speakers, they make a fantastic $400 system!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hey, BMWCC,

You are truly a classy Gentleman, Sir! Your thoughtful comments regarding Scotty's recommendations, and his untimely passing, are so nicely phrased, that I had to post a note of thanks for your kindness in doing so.

In reading this informative thread, I have to admit that I've not made any chances in my own amp situation, to date, though I originally had plans of doing so. I've "made do" with my Harman/Kardon 870, and Crown DC300A amplifiers, and am still well satisfied with them. But, in revisiting this thread, I am reminded that some experimentation on the amplifier front is still on my plate of things to do. I'll have to look around and see what's available now, that I can afford to purchase. Thanks, once again, for resurrecting this old information, and for your thoughtful comments regarding Scotty. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Thanks, once again, for resurrecting this old information, and for your thoughtful comments regarding Scotty.
    Scotty and I exchanged many private messages and I promised to get together with him at Coney Island when visiting my two college-grad daughters living in NYC. But we never got the chance to connect in person and I very much regret it. I wanted my kids to have a chance to ride the Scooter Cars and I really wanted to hear the music at Scotty's Eldorado. Like so many here, Scotty really knew his stuff and gladly shared his knowledge with others. It is my pleasure to perpetuate his memory in this small way.

Very interesting topic. Have you guys ever tried the Crown CTs600/1200 amps? They are class a/B and does not seem to have been designed as 'power house' amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Very interesting topic. Have you guys ever tried the Crown CTs600/1200 amps? They are class a/B and does not seem to have been designed as 'power house' amps.
    I too would like to know. I am about to send in 2 DC-300A's for a factory refresh, and wonder what they have new that could compare.
    I plan to bi amp my old A/L 846B's.
    I still even have my old IC-150, DC-150A,DC-300A,EQ-2,VFX2A, and an FM-2.
    Did I say I still like Crown? LOL

I have a new Crown 802XLS. It is a great amp for little money but it is not suitible IMO for home use. It is a pro amp for sound reinforcement. They don;t make consumer amps.

Anyway, the cooling fans on the 802 amps are VERY loud.

An update to this thread which is I think is interesting. JBL Synthesis has introduced the Crown DCi Network amps as their new Synthesis amps. Have any of you guys heard them? BLU-link from BSS/SDEC makes me very interested in them.

And a curious question to those who say that newer Crown amps are only for PA: What makes the older amps more suited for home use than the newer ones in regards to sound quality? Are the older ones more smooth and refined sounding compared to the new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    And a curious question to those who say that newer Crown amps are only for PA: What makes the older amps more suited for home use than the newer ones in regards to sound quality? Are the older ones more smooth and refined sounding compared to the new ones?
    I think it is Crown which identifies some of its products as most suitable for PA use. Certainly some are better than others for different tasks. I'm not going to take the time to look up which is which. I recommend you check out the Crown website for their assessment of their own products. Here's a clue: Price is an indication of value.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I am using a Crown DCi 2/600N with my JBL 4429. Sounds Great!!

Crown amps can be use in homes as well.

As far as I've understood Crown DCI With the DSP/Network module is comparable to iTech but With less Power, the DSP is the same.

iTech 5000 is used With the M2 speakers so my Guess is that a Crown DCi 4/600N would be a great "budget" alternative for those who think 4x600 watt is enough

Mctwins
    Hallo!

For the M2, one can use the DCi 4/1250N, but I would go for either two I-tech HD or one I-tech 4x3500HD.

600Watts is little bit to low power for the M2, my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hallo!

For the M2, one can use the DCi 4/1250N, but I would go for either two I-tech HD or one I-tech 4x3500HD.

600Watts is little bit to low power for the M2, my opinion.
    With 3db amp. headroom, 105db (continous) and 4m from the speakers. Without any room gain included in the calculation: 637w required (if I remember correctly that sensitivity of M2 is 92db).

Source: http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

I think the DCi 4|600N would work fine for normal situations.

Thread Information