Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Crown Amps

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Crown-question #1.
    Anyone who knows if the power-inlet of the Crown CTs-series is universal, or are there separate 110 and 220 volt versions?
    I can answer this myself now. There are separate versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Personally I like Bryston.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    OK, that is kind of the right page
    So which setting should I use in the Crown and in the DBX?
    It is better to send as high signal as possible (without clipping the crown) from the source (dbx), right?
    So optimal would be 13dBu out from dbx, 26dB position in the crown input, and then set the crown gain to lowest possible setting to reach the max spl I want?
    Sorry to be so slow to respond! I was hoping to do this from a PC but I haven't been in the office.

OK, what you say can be correct but this is where it gets past being a simple answer. I don't know anything about your signal chain so I'm guessing this is your home system and you are likely dealing with a pre of some sort that is likely a one to two volt drive (consumer -RCA cable?) and what dbx unit?

Here is my thinking in a nut shell on the subject:

You only need enough line level voltage to get it as loud as you would ever listen. Your pre might have enough voltage to do this on its own with no additional gain from the dbx if the CTS is set for 1.4V and if that is the case run the dbx at unity gain and you could be done.

If this is not the case then to keep the noise floor as low as possible, you want to get all the additional gain in as early in the signal chain as possible ie the input side of the dbx and run as much down stream at unity as possible. This will preserve the maximum amount of headroom for dynamics as well.

Unless you are in an extremely hostile electrical/magnetic environment this should work. Adding the additional gain in the dbx to output +13dBu only to pad it back down in the amp input is not the way I would do it unless you were really fighting noise.

I have made many assumptions here. If the above isn't helpful, fill in some equipment blanks and we can go on.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I use my dbx 4820 as preamp you can say.
    I send 4 channels (L, C, R, and LFE) of digital AES/EBU in to it from a modded Oppo BDP-103 (using a Vanity103HD-card).
    Volume-control I do with a dbx zc-2 knob.
    From the dbx I go analog xlr to the Crown CTs-600 amp.
    My oppo then has 2 hdmi-inputs, so it is preamp in that sense of input selection. But it is all digital in to the dbx 4820.
    The dbx-4820 does my volume control, and is my DAC, and will do EQ and delays, etc.

I consider Crown iTech amps for sub duty but fan noise is a huge problem... Have anyone replaced the fans in iTech with silent ones??

Santa came a little late this year
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like your santa better than mine.

You are in for some fun!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I like your santa better than mine.

You are in for some fun!

Barry.
    I guesst I must have been a nice boy this year

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Santa came a little late this year
    Nice

26db

Hi bubbleboy76,

I just wanted to clarify the 26db setting. This is only incoporated to match the CTS multi channel amps CTS4200 & 8200 as they are 26db native voltage gain. If used in the same system it makes life easier if basic gain is the same. I always use 4/8 ohm settings and and compensate in the DSP for the gain difference.

Native gain 4/8 ohm operation:
    CTS600 35:1 31 db
    CTS 1200 50:1 34 db
    CTS2000 63,9:1 36db
    CTS3000 71,4:1 37db
    CTS4200 20:1 26db
    CTS8200 20:1 26db

Regarding voltage there are both 220v and 110v CTS units. They are internally different and not easy to rebuild. Parts are available from Crown but rather expensive.

Happy New Year
    //Rob
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Santa was also good to me this year:
    Name:  14832917050161450801453.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  75.9 KB

The CT4150 will be used to drive the HF and MF of my three-way build. Cannot wait for the dbx Venu360 to arrive so I can get my system re-wired.

I picked these up in the fall from Harman auction, 5 CTS1200 at a bargain price, when I was planning a power-hungry vintage clone. Not sure if these will work with the current plans, M2 components + DSP.

Name:  IMG_0701-3.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  160.9 KB

Hi DES-1

Your CTS1200's will do just fine with M2. That is what I use for my M2 Clowns (not real clones ). You need an outboard DSP to run them.

I suggest finding a used BSS BLU50, 16, 80,160, 800, 100, 101, 102 or 103 on Ebay and just fire away.

If you use a BSS you can just download a macro from JBL into the BSS with all the factory seetings you need.

Or you get a different brand DSP to your liking and use the settings kindly shared by member 4313b here on LH. They are also available in the excellent "primer" by member POS. Find one of his posts and look at the bottom, there is a link there.

I don't think 2216Nd would mind more power than 600W RMS but for domestic use that is plenty. I will swap my CTS1200/CTS600 combo for a CTS4200 in my system as I very rarely use the power.

Kind regards
    //Rob
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

I have been using cts1200 on 2216nd now since early summer, and for domestic use in a 40sqm room it can tear off the wallpaper.
    In addition it sounds excellent and run silent after seapping fans for noctua

Good information, thanks gents, I'll definitely go DSP and will do more learning and reading per suggestion especially on BSS. So far I did read the google doc authored by POS plus a couple of the clone build threads.

My main concern with the cts1200 was regarding the hf section, driving the d2430k with a channel of the cts1200...is it safe to do so? I'll be building and running the protection networks for the D2's but isn't 600 watts entirely too much power?

Thread Information