Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help With Potential DIY Project

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Hi dkalsi

I am not sure the t-amp is the best candidate for this. Its noise floor is too high for such a high sensitivity driver.
    I used to use one of the original sonic impact t-amps on 2407s and 2406s and the hiss was really annoying. Plus it emitted a pop when switched on...
    If you plan to run the 2405 directly from the amp as GT suggest then you also have to check the DC offset of the amp. It can be quite high on some of these chip amp if they do not have protection caps on the output.
    Ok - I will look into this. I was planning on using the Trend 10.1 - but I will for the DC offset issue.

construction question

Quick question,
    When building the enclosure, how do you guys (those who have build the 4345) construct the frame around the grill (not the grill it self), but the molding (for lack of a better work) on the front of the speakers.

Member saeman has posted detailed construction plans for some of his 43XX projects which included the grille frames... if you do some searches you should be able to find them.

I just reread your query... you are actually interested in the front edge molding... he has posted about that as well.

Widget

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hey Rob,

Thanks for the link to the plans. I was able to locate them earlier but found no guidance regarding the molding on the face of the speakers. Thats what I was hoping to find.

I will search the forums once again to locate the tread that Mr. Widget alluded to.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=314

Start around post #105... that may be what you're after. (?)

Thanks Grumpy... post 106 has a great drawing showing the detail.

Widget

Baffle Question

All,

I am planning on using 1" MDF for the construction of th 4345. Per review of most of the 4345 constructions threads on the forums, everyone seems to use 3/4" Baltic Birch ply for the baffle.

I wanted to ask whether it would be a problem using the 1" MDF for the baffle as oppose to the Baltic Birch. Would there be a problem painting the MDF?

Please share your thoughts.

Update

1 - pair of 2245H baskets sent in for recone to authorized local JBL dealer
    1 - pair of 2123H baskets sent in for 2122H recone to authorized local JBL dealer

I tell you all - these happen to be some of the most expensive drivers to recone. What gives???

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    1 - pair of 2245H baskets sent in for recone to authorized local JBL dealer
    1 - pair of 2123H baskets sent in for 2122H recone to authorized local JBL dealer

I tell you all - these happen to be some of the most expensive drivers to recone. What gives???
    In the scheme of things they are quite inexpensive and the bang for the buck is astounding. I personally find it incredible that we are still able to service these now ancient transducers.

mdf

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    All,

I am planning on using 1" MDF for the construction of th 4345. Per review of most of the 4345 constructions threads on the forums, everyone seems to use 3/4" Baltic Birch ply for the baffle.

I wanted to ask whether it would be a problem using the 1" MDF for the baffle as oppose to the Baltic Birch. Would there be a problem painting the MDF?

Please share your thoughts.
    My views (and others ) on MDF are documented in the posts here. Yes it is good acoustically and yes it is easy to machine but the dust is just horrid and bad for you also. Baltic ply is a joy to work with and is as near to MDF in general but without the cons.
    You will thank me for this advice , been there done that !

I don't know what you paid for your 2245 baskets, but even with the ~$250 cone kit + labor + shipping I bet it's a lot cheaper than buying a NIB 2242H at full retail.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    My views (and others ) on MDF are documented in the posts here. Yes it is good acoustically and yes it is easy to machine but the dust is just horrid and bad for you also.
    Here are my MDF monstrosities. Dust management and a mask are absolutely mandatory when working with this junk!

Someday I might actually finish them.

The goal is to at least have the boxes finished before it gets too cold to work in the detached garage. They have a long wait for networks since I am currently backlogged on building those.

The bottom brace in the top photo is just sitting in there and is never actually implemented since the base provides all the necessary bracing. I also removed all the "select pine" stickers after the photo was taken.

That isn't some new kind of aquaplas on the back of the 2245H, the cone is missing. I was told that it wouldn't affect the sound but will probably recone it anyway someday .

I snapped the three bottom photos minutes ago.

I really like the textured paint Saeman suggested I try as a base coat. The baffles will be the usual blue and the back and base will be black. The ten mil veneer is from everyone's favorite veneer place - Walnut - Flat Cut
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Here are my MDF monstrosities.
    Beauties. Makes me hungry just looking at them...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    That isn't some new kind of aquaplas on the back of the 2245H, the cone is missing.
    Darn - I thought we had a new invisible aquaplassed cone to talk about!

Hey - is that a teeny nick I see in the veneer? :shock:
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Beauties. Makes me hungry just looking at them...
    You already have some!
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Hey - is that a teeny nick I see in the veneer? :shock:
    I used nickbegone (aka another $100 sheet of veneer) on it and it disappeared. :dont-know Cool eh?

Thread Information