Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Help With Potential DIY Project

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    2420 core with a D16R2421 diaphragm.
    Hey 4313B,
    I just checked JBL parts list (available at the following link: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Tra...rts%20List.pdf ) and it appears that the JBL 2420 and the 2421B use the same exact diaphragm. Are you sure I can simply replace the the diaphragm in my 2420 with D162421 and be good to go (not doubting, just confirming)? It makes sense given the diaphragm number, but that would mean that there is no way to replace a blown diaphragm in a JBL 2420 with the suggested diaphragm per JBL parts list and result in a JBL 2420 (it will always be a 2421). In any case $284 a pop - wow!.

[quote=4313B;271649] . . . . Now I know that some guys couldn't care less and would do it anyway and post that they like it just fine and that's just the way DIY is. . . . quote]

Yeah, stay away from THOSE guys.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Hey 4313B,
    I just checked JBL parts list (available at the following link: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Tra...rts%20List.pdf ) and it appears that the JBL 2420 and the 2421B use the same exact diaphragm. Are you sure I can simply replace the the diaphragm in my 2420 with D162421 and be good to go (not doubting, just confirming)? It makes sense given the diaphragm number, but that would mean that there is no way to replace a blown diaphragm in a JBL 2420 with the suggested diaphragm per JBL parts list and result in a JBL 2420 (it will always be a 2421). In any case $284 a pop - wow!.
    JBL did away with the D16R2420 diaphragm years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Yeah, stay away from THOSE guys.
    I do. I hate being put into the position where all I can say is "Well, at least the veneer looks nice."

Thanks!!!!

I do. I hate being put into the position where all I can say is "Well, at least the veneer looks nice."
    I will post the complete new equivalent filter in my DIY 4345/4345 Mk II thread along with the fix for a 2441.
    Yes - that is certainly not how I want you to feel about my project. Hence, the reason why I waited for you to post new crossovers.

Thank you for posting the new schematics - #149 . Although your changes is red are extremely helpful - I will wait until you post official schematics (I just don't want to make any more mistakes and read something incorrectly once again - my circles on those schmatics are certianly not helping). Lastly, although you highlighted the minimum components I will need to change, it is more than likely I will just return everything and buy everything I need based on the official new schematics.

Once again, thank you for all your help and providing your honest opinion. I much rather have the speaker that sounds as it should as oppose to just looking good.

Obsolete
    Lastly, although you highlighted the minimum components I will need to change, it is more than likely I will just return everything and buy everything I need based on the official new schematics.
    Probably a reasonable idea. I won't sign off on it until I actually build it and try it. I'm ordering all the parts in the next day or two.

Probably a reasonable idea. I won't sign off on it until I actually build it and try it. I'm ordering all the parts in the next day or two.
    Excellent - thanks. To simply things, I am just going to return all I bought and reorder for new parts sometime late december (or whenever you get done with your build/testing).

Thanks,
    D

I will post the complete new equivalent filter in my DIY 4345/4345 Mk II thread along with the fix for a 2441.

I won't sign off on it until I actually build it and try it. I'm ordering all the parts in the next day or two.
    Hey 4313B,

Hope all is well. I just wanted to follow up in regards to the above. I was courious if you had the opportunity to order parts (and build) or post the schematics in your DIY 4345/4345 MK II thread.

Additionally, if you don't mind, could you please provide a link to your DIY 4345/4345 MK II thread? - I can't seem to find it (even after searching through "all threads started by 4313B").

Cheers,
    Dhar

Obsolete
    Hey 4313B,

Hope all is well. I just wanted to follow up in regards to the above. I was courious if you had the opportunity to order parts (and build) or post the schematics in your DIY 4345/4345 MK II thread.

Additionally, if you don't mind, could you please provide a link to your DIY 4345/4345 MK II thread? - I can't seem to find it (even after searching through "all threads started by 4313B").

Cheers,
    Dhar
    I'm in the middle of 4355 builds right now and due to downsizing at work I probably won't get done with them until the end of the year. After that I will start on the 4345 networks. I'm as anxious as anyone to get them done. I just have a time crunch problem at work.

The 4345/4345 Mk II thread was moved and I'm not sure if I will bother finishing it. Maybe I'll feel differently after the New Year.

I'm as anxious as anyone to get them done. I just have a time crunch problem at work.

The 4345/4345 Mk II thread was moved and I'm not sure if I will bother finishing it. Maybe I'll feel differently after the New Year.
    No worries at all. I have plenty to do (cosmetically) before I get to building/installing the crossovers. I am thinking about re-doing the baffle with the textured spray paint. Currently, my baffle is super smooth. It looks nice - but I think I will prefer the textured surface more.

Additionally, I have yet to apply any finish to the raw veneer. I've sanded the veneer already - however, I have not applied anything to protect it. I just recently purchased Waterlox Tung Oil finish. Per the directions, proper ventilation is absolutely necessary - and that is tough to arrange when it is 30-40 degrees outside.

2440 vs 2441

All,

I have an opportunity to pick-up NIB 2440 diaphragms for a reasonable price (not cheap, but cheaper than the price quoted on the JBL parts list).

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I was planning on using a pair of 2441 w/ Smith horns for my DIY 4345 build. I currently have two pairs of 2441. One of the pair has original aluminum diaphragms (don't know how many hours of use one them) and the other pair that has titanium diaphragms (maybe 2445 and am not sure if they are genuine or after market).

I was curious if I should buy the 2440 diaphragms and replace the titanium diaphragms in my 2441 for purposes of this project, or with the frequency extension with the 2440 diaphragms may not be sufficient??

Please share your thoughts.

I stopped reading after the first sentence. If you have the cash, the rest is moot ...

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I stopped reading after the first sentence. If you have the cash, the rest is moot ...
    Haha - Thanks Grumpy - yes - I am definitely buying the diaphragms as I have already committed myself to the purchase (too late to back out now <- I would feel too guilty). Nonetheless, I wanted to confirm whether the 2440 is usable upto 10Kz (which I believe it the x-over point to the 2405 in the JBL 4345??).

Thanks,
    D

Update

Haven't updated this tread in a while, so I thought I post pictures of where the speakers stand right now. (this was my first speaker build so please forgive the mistakes). Structurally, they are beyond solid - overkill on bracing etc.- cosmetically I have made few minor mistakes - but you have to see it up-close in person to find them.

Steps remaining:

1) Building grills - is there a guide on this website on how to build the grills for the 4345 (I see the plans, but I have no idea how I should go on about building them).
    2) Building crossovers (I plan on waiting until the new networks by Giskard are finished - hopefully soon)
    3) Mounting 2122H and 2245H
    4) Building support for the 2426H (although after mounting i feel it is not needed).

Sorry for digging it up

but I just had to say how awesome this thread is just like meany others on this site except I'm also at the point of deciding what to clone for the first time.

Any updates on the thread by chance?

Thread Information