Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L96s and L112s

L96s and L112s

Hi!
    I already have some L96s and love them. I have a good shot at a decent price on a pair of L112s that are dirty but intact. Are the 112s as nice? Are they the same in every way except for the woofer and obvious box tuning differences required? I know they were contemporaries. Searching them here yeilds a mixed bag of opinions. Does anyone currently own both? I ask because the only audition will be in a garage and probably only with an ohm meter.
    Any input would be of great help as I need to make a decision today.
    Thank you!
    Thomas

I've owned my pair of L112s since they were new. I bought a pair of L96s from a list-member here because of the praise for them on this site. My impression is that the L96s earned their reputation but if you like a more-robust bass response the L112s will provide the extra punch. Some here complain about the L112 being muddy or over-bearing in the low end compared to the L96 but personally I think that's hogwash and more a result of placement issues (floor versus raised and/or boundary reinforcement). I'd hope to never give up either but if such a choice had to be made the L112s would be the keepers. Just my opinion of course, and colored by enjoying the L112s for something like 28 years. Yeah, I know: all wank and no data! Sue me.

Oh yeah, the MF and HF drivers are identical, if that's what you meant.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Does anyone currently own both?
    Also yes, ... and L150A's. I'll agree that room/placement is key, more so
    for the L112's in my experience. Desert Island pick from the three? L150A
    if I had the room, L96 otherwise. L112's sitting on 15" SUB1500 woofers
    blew them all away, but that wasn't your question

If the price was right, I'd pick up the L112's... in fact I did, and have been
    happy with my purchase.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Some here complain about the L112 being muddy or over-bearing in the low end compared to the L96 but personally I think that's hogwash and more a result of placement issues (floor versus raised and/or boundary reinforcement).
    It is a placement issue to a large degree but also realize that the 128H is nearly twice as compliant as the LE10H. In other words, it isn't all hogwash.
    Oh yeah, the MF and HF drivers are identical, if that's what you meant.
    As well as the network topology. The L96, L112, and L150A all shared a newer, modified version of the 4313 network. 3113 -> 3113B -> N96/N112/ N150A
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Also yes, ... and L150A's. I'll agree that room/placement is key, more so
    for the L112's in my experience. Desert Island pick from the three? L150A
    if I had the room, L96 otherwise. L112's sitting on 15" SUB1500 woofers
    blew them all away, but that wasn't your question

If the price was right, I'd pick up the L112's... in fact I did, and have been
    happy with my purchase.
    The best of breed tact would be to put the L96 components in a 1.0 to 1.2 cu ft sealed box (4313B size) and then put those on top of the subwoofers of choice. SUB1500's are really nice. I used B212's. I can empathize with some people preferring the 128H (especially in the L150A) if subwoofers aren't involved.

Which reminds me... anyone here upgrade their L150A's to 120Ti components? The 128H definitely likes the larger enclosure volume, vented or passive radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It is a placement issue to a large degree but also realize that the 128H is nearly twice as compliant as the LE10H. In other words, it isn't all hogwash.As well as the network topology. The L96, L112, and L150A all shared a newer, modified version of the 4313 network. 3113 -> 3113B -> N96/N112/ N150A
    Thank you. And thank you all.
    So as far as pieces, an L112 is, in "fact" an L96 with a larger woofer and the corresponding box to go with it, sonic differences due to the woofer and enclosure aside?

I know you can't tell me if I'll like it better or worse subjectively, and obviously placement will have a big impact, but the upper end should have the same "voice", yes?

As to your post, the crossover points for the mids and tweets are the same?

I know this is going to push this towards a marketplace question, but at less than $250 should there be any hesitation? I have learned that the surrounds are most likely the original.

Thank you much.
    Thomas

Obsolete
    at less than $250 should there be any hesitation?
    Probably not. I would think that you could easily get your money back out of them if you don't like them.
    I know you can't tell me if I'll like it better or worse subjectively
    You're right. I can't.

Interestingly, I've noticed over the years that, generally speaking, most women prefer the L96 (it sounds better to them) while most men prefer the L112 (invariably because of the larger woofer in the same size footprint).

Probably not. I would think that you could easily get your money back out of them if you don't like them.
    Interestingly, I've noticed over the years that, generally speaking, most women prefer the L96 while most men prefer the L112 (invariably because of the larger woofer in the same size footprint).

Women

I know the L96 is the cleanest, tightest bass I've ever had in the room, but my wife can't hear the difference between them and a pair of Sonys I literally paid 2 cents for.

The L96s can sound a little smeary when used on the floor here (in the bottom end) but only when I have them in a less than optimum position which is most of the time. Always moving things around. On a good set of stands however, nothing comes close. The L112s would most likely be used on stands, close to a wall, as well.

I love the L96 bass sound; certainly, and by no means, the "deepest" I have had, but surly the most defined and accurate. VERY rarely do they leave me wanting for more at normal levels (and with a minimum of a 100 clean watts).

Thanks,
    Thomas

You're right. I can't.

Interestingly, I've noticed over the years that, generally speaking, most women prefer the L96 (it sounds better to them) while most men prefer the L112 (invariably because of the larger woofer in the same size footprint).

The L112 will at least be tighter in the bass than the L100, yes? We refer to the L100s here fondly as the "fart pumps".

Don't get me wrong, I adore them (especially when drinking ), but they are a little "loose" with the acoustic bass on Jazz and a little overpowering on Rock 'n' Roll!

Thomas

Obsolete
    I know the L96 is the cleanest, tightest bass I've ever had in the room, but my wife can't hear the difference between them and a pair of Sonys I literally paid 2 cents for.
    Tragic!

Are you sure that she can't hear the difference as opposed to she just doesn't care?
    The L112 will at least be tighter in the bass than the L100, yes?
    Yes. Completely different engineering eras. Greg did the L96 and L112. If the old L100 woofer "worked" he'd have used it to save money.

Tragic!

Are you sure that she can't hear the difference as opposed to she just doesn't care?

More likely just easy to please. How you think I got her to marry me?

It's worked out pretty well for the most part, you should see the car she drives!

Thomas

Also have L96, L112 and L150A here. In terms of use and placement, the L112 and L96 should ALWAYS be on stands, minimum 18" and never on shelves, at least 1' from any walls. The L112 will be more appreciated at lower volumes in smaller rooms due to it's punchy bass. The L96 will be more appreciated at higher volume with a lot of power. In a larger room with ample power they will be more alike than different. In terms of imaging, clarity and precision they are the same. In terms of a balanced sound with minimal peaks and valleys in the response curve, the L96 takes the prize. Current resale on nice L112 is around $400-500, so getting an intact pair for $250 seems a no-brainer. All these models are under-valued. I use the L112 in my office, a smallish room, at lower volume with 350WPC power mainly because of the extended bass response at lower volumes.

It is a placement issue to a large degree but also realize that the 128H is nearly twice as compliant as the LE10H. In other words, it isn't all hogwash.
    I appreciate the learned differentiation, really!

I know there are many here who prefer nearly any 10" version of on JBL family over the equivalent 12". Maybe I just don't play mine as loud (unlikely), and maybe it's the damping factor of my Crown amps that controls those compliance issues :dont-know, but I can make direct comparisons of the L96, L112, L80T, and 4412A and in each case my ears prefer the 12" version. This imperfectly assumes the L80t (port and stuffing modded) to be roughly equivalent to the 4410 (closer than the L100t is to the 4412A) in what we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong; I love the L96 and I think the modded L80t is a very competent speaker, too, so I appreciate the 10" JBLs. Plus I have those 2122Hs in my 4345s. But—subwoofers not considered—the 12" "bookshelf" units for me offer a thump I just don't get from the 10" near-equivalents. Maybe that's "fake-but-fun"?

And a lot of this for us amateurs is what we're used to. It'll be interesting to hear the impressions of Wagner as a long-term L96 owner, if he gets the L112s.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I appreciate the learned differentiation, really!

I know there are many here who prefer nearly any 10" version of on JBL family over the equivalent 12". Maybe I just don't play mine as loud (unlikely), and maybe it's the damping factor of my Crown amps that controls those compliance issues :dont-know, but I can make direct comparisons of the L96, L112, L80T, and 4412A and in each case my ears prefer the 12" version. This imperfectly assumes the L80t (port and stuffing modded) to be roughly equivalent to the 4410 (closer than the L100t is to the 4412A) in what we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong; I love the L96 and I think the modded L80t is a very competent speaker, too, so I appreciate the 10" JBLs. Plus I have those 2122Hs in my 4345s. But—subwoofers not considered—the 12" "bookshelf" units for me offer a thump I just don't get from the 10" near-equivalents. Maybe that's "fake-but-fun"?

And a lot of this for us amateurs is what we're used to. It'll be interesting to hear the impressions of Wagner as a long-term L96 owner, if he gets the L112s.

Well, you'll get your wish. I am leaving to pick them up now. If the surrounds allow, I'll have an impression this afternoon.

Thank you all,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Also have L96, L112 and L150A here. In terms of use and placement, the L112 and L96 should ALWAYS be on stands, minimum 18" and never on shelves, at least 1' from any walls. The L112 will be more appreciated at lower volumes in smaller rooms due to it's punchy bass. The L96 will be more appreciated at higher volume with a lot of power. In a larger room with ample power they will be more alike than different. In terms of imaging, clarity and precision they are the same. In terms of a balanced sound with minimal peaks and valleys in the response curve, the L96 takes the prize. Current resale on nice L112 is around $400-500, so getting an intact pair for $250 seems a no-brainer. All these models are under-valued. I use the L112 in my office, a smallish room, at lower volume with 350WPC power mainly because of the extended bass response at lower volumes.
    Did you say never on shelves. I have a room with 18' ceilings and I planned to put my 96s on shelves about 9' up...do you see a problem? And if so my placement for the speakers almost has to be there. Could orientation help a potentially bad location? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    am assuming that this is partially aimed at me,,,, but its not all together true..
    Certainly you are one of many here who have an affinity for the 4410, along with many others, and well-deserved. But the operative words were "many" and "nearly". And it really is personal to a great extent as demonstrated in having heard at least one respected member here pose that that L80T is one of the best all-around JBLs ever, and others who have kicked that model to the curb. I'm pleased I own so many systems that garner words of praise and the consensual validation might just add to the enjoyment! I've heard some clunkers in my time (Klipsch Fortes come to mind, even stacked pairs of them) yet even my lowly L20Ts and the cheapo LX22s aren't slackers when they're connected to a good system.

I must be imaging-challenged, or at least tolerant. I grew up with big JBL two-ways (030s that I still love) and now listen primarily to 4-ways which to me provide the ultimate experience—and I have no imaging complaints with any of the three 4-way systems I currently own. Three-ways either, for that matter, and that includes five-or-more systems. Just dumb luck, maybe compatible room and/or positioning, or just…dumb.

Guilty as charged: fat, happy, and enjoying a good track! A good friend just passed away in his sleep this past week two days after I was with him at a motorcycle rally. He was 59, slim, vegan, and an avid bicyclist and health nut. I'm 56, overweight, somewhat sedentary, with a family history of heart disease, so I'm not going to waste a lot of time complaining when I could be enjoying life.

I hope Wagner will be as smitten by the L112s as many others here seem to be.

Thread Information