Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B460 Repair Project

My memory is not what it use to be. I do remember I got it for around $200 to $250 less than the asking price. BTW what was the asking price in the AD?

MB
    Last edited by mbottz; 07-26-2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    My memory is not what it use to be. I do remember I got it for around $200 to $250 less than the asking price. BTW what was the asking price in the AD?

MB
    Here's the ad copy. I think the seller was a little optimistic about the original selling prices.

JBL B460 Home Subwoofer - $750

Date: 2008-03-29, 2:55PM CDT

This is the top of the line for JBL and retailed from $2100 to $3000. It is a 800 watt 18" die cast aluminum frame driver with an edge wound voice coil. You will not be disappointed. It reaches down to 16hz. Even underpowered it shakes the house. Cabinet has some corner damage as seen in pic and the grill clips need to be replaced.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Back at it !!

Well the week end was free and I had some time to get back to fixing the B460. The base was chipped up bad from all the moving around, so I had an idea to fix it that should help eliminate future chips and make it a bit easier to move on the carpet. I got out my laminate router and rounded the bottom corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Next it was time to start the Venier lamination process. Out with the bondo to square up a few corners and smooth some surface imperfections. Then a heavy dose of contact cement on the subwoofer and venier. I left about 1/2 inch overlap all around. Then trimmed with my laminate router. Next I routed out the ports and a bit of finish sanding and one side is complete. I am using the laminate router because this venier is wood backed and is thicker than the paper backed type. This is my first experience with this type and so far it is working very well.

The opposite side venier is is in good shape, all that was required was to remove and replace the edge band venier. This was acomplished with a hot iron and a sharp putty knife. The iron makes quick work removing old edge banded venier. I also use it to make sure the new venier is stuck down smooth and tight.

Then the snag !

Well here is something I was not ready for. To venier the front curved panel the wood backed type does not bend easily. So I had to build a special jig that would allow me to pre-bend the venier prior to applying. Once built I wet each area to be bent with a wet rag and used my hot iron to steam penetrate the water into the wood. When good and wet the venier was clamped to the form and allowed to dry. The form was made to bend the venier farther than needed so it would spring back into place and be very close. dont need the wood pulling itself off while drying. Adhesive was applied and behold the curved surface glued down without any issues. The venier was smoothed down with the hot iron and using the laminate router the edges were trimmed carefully and all sanded smooth to get ready for the next piece.
    Last edited by mbottz; 08-23-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling

After laminating the other sides and reworking the edge banding on the oposite side, here is the finished result. Ready to sand and stain. Stay tuned for the finishing. Hopefully work will allow me to finish it in the coming weeks.

Nice work!! Looking very good and I'm having a lot of fun following your progress. Thanks for sharing your work with us!!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Morning, MBottz,

Yes, very nice work, indeed!! Well done! It's been fun watching you turn a sow's ear into what will become a silk purse!! Thanks, very much, for sharing it with us, and I look forward to seeing how it all turns out, when you have time to get back to it. Time is the one thing that most of us need, and few of us have, unfortunately. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (Texas born)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

At last !!!

Well here are a few pictures of the finished product. From finish sanding, to a bit of stain for color, and Oil to round out the project I think it came out well. I installed this in place of my B380 and WOW what a difference!! this thing really shakes the house. If only I had two..

Beautiful - excellent work!

Congrats / Mike

Wanna sell it?

Hi, MBottz,

Super-duper, fantastic, and outstanding, Sir!!! Well done, Mate!! I would think that, after all the blood, sweat, and tears, such a fine subwoofer would not be for sale, but that's just me! In any case, you did a wonderful job on that old, much maligned B460, and should be very roud of your work! Thanks, again, for sharing it with us, and enjoy that neat old JBL sub of your's: You've EARNED it!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

B460 Updates

Boy how time flies, Two houses later, 3 grandchildren, and almost retired, These have been in my media room for about a year now. I never built the mirror image mate but acquired another original. The two are connected to my surround sound and if you have never experienced an 18"sub, it is absolutely phenomenal. 2 are definitely overkill, but the effect is so realistic in action scenes and explosions, you can feel the debris as it flies past. LOL Just wanted to share the final results! Maybe in retirement I can get my Media Room finished. Its all about the Sound, Right!! Life sure gets in the way of your hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    Boy how time flies, Two houses later, 3 grandchildren, and almost retired, These have been in my media room for about a year now. I never built the mirror image mate but acquired another original. The two are connected to my surround sound and if you have never experienced an 18"sub, it is absolutely phenomenal. 2 are definitely overkill, but the effect is so realistic in action scenes and explosions, you can feel the debris as it flies past. LOL Just wanted to share the final results! Maybe in retirement I can get my Media Room finished. Its all about the Sound, Right!! Life sure gets in the way of your hobbies.
    Wow and wow! I know how well one B460 works in a home theater, I can only imagine a PAIR of them!
    They look GREAT! Kudos on your great work!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information