Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B460 Repair Project

Great work and looks fabulous. You may have to consider strengthening the walls, foundation, joists and windows of your home now! What's the story on where and how you acquired the 2nd B460, did you get as good a deal, and what refurbishment did you do, any veneer work? Did you OCD and put the two sequentially numbered 2245H's in and add the sequentially numbered foilcals? Does this mean you have an extra 2245H, plus original foilcal now? One thing I've really learned is I don't like any "music" with these artificially created low bass or tones that seem to be produced. IMO, for car audio systems, and the constant "brrrrrrrppp, brrrrrrrppp" utterrings of that music and systems. There's no musicality, no reality, and no acoustic reason for it other than for the sake of blaring it out to others. Whenever I hear that music in a passing car, I so wish I could remotely force their windows up and push their audio system to at least 3-6db higher with them in the car. I really don't need to hear that crap. IMO, the use of 18" subs in a home environment enhances the low frequencies in a realistic way assuming no major overkill on the low freq EQ if used. The 2245H has an effortless sound to it when driven properly and is plenty for most homes and reasonably large spaces. I suppose if you're listening area is a small auditorium or a large 20 seat home theater you might need more. It would be curious to try some of the 18" Vertec subwoofer drivers in this configuration, especially when considering there are dual 18" rigged subwoofers available in Vertec systems using the 2269G or 225818" Neodynium drivers. The JBL VT4880ADP powered or VT4880 passive subwooferIs there any reason the forum software isn't accepting carriage returns and paragraph breaks? It's condensing my reply into one long paragraph which isn't particularly easy to read. I'm on my home computer using latest Chrome browser. I'll try to edit from my iPhone in few minutes.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

B460 Before

The second B460 is all original and was in reasonable shape and a great deal when I found it. About the same price as the previous, so I could afford to spend a bit on shipping. Purchased out of Oregon and paid a pack and ship company to pick up and deliver to Texas as the seller would not ship. It has been covered in my bedroom for almost 4 years. The wife reminds me frequently how I promised it would not stay there for more than 6 months. How many of us have had that happen to us?? I carefully stored the 2245 for re-foam, When I got ready to restore it, I could not remember where I put it, It’s around here somewhere. LOL But could only find the 2245 basket saved from the previous b460 that was re-coned as a 2240. I purchased Edgewounds 2245 re-cone kit and turned it back into a 2245. His Kits are perfect, thankfully there is still a path to repair this awesome driver!! Last year I had an unexpected opportunity to bond with my oldest daughter when she asked me to show her how to restore wood furniture. Thinking quickly, I game up with a brilliant Plan. I responded with “let me show you the tricks of the trade with my B460 and you can use the processes on any wood project. My B460 has all the repairs that you may ever need all in one project!! ” The veneer was in fair shape, with the normal scratches, water stains and chipped edge pieces. We bleached out some small water stains and they are barely noticeable. Lifted out several deeper dents and scrapes with steam and heat. Then routed and replaced sections of the veneer with new along the back sides and front edge where needed. Then a Lesson in grain matching for the new veneer to look as close to original as possible. Then finish sanding working up to 2K grit for a silky smooth finish. Finally, matching new wood veneer color to existing aged walnut for that slightly reddish tint was on the agenda. With my inventory of custom color tints, we went to town and custom blended the new veneer areas. All the repairs came out great, and satisfied passing on refinishing knowledge to a new generation. If you did not know there were flaws, you would think it was a well-cared for JBL survivor. I was so Excited my 30 year old daughter was interested in spending time on anything with her father, I totally forgot to document the repair process. I have included a few pictures of the before and after for those interested.
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

B460 After pictures

Here are a couple pictures of the damaged areas after repairs

Excellent.

Heart Warming Story too!

Very, very nice!

Do you use the in-wall center channel speaker for movies or do you go phantom center with the 250Tis?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Great work and looks fabulous... ...One thing I've really learned is I don't like any "music" with these artificially created low bass or tones that seem to be produced. IMO, for car audio systems, and the constant "brrrrrrrppp, brrrrrrrppp" utterrings of that music and systems. There's no musicality, no reality, and no acoustic reason for it other than for the sake of blaring it out to others... ...I really don't need to hear that crap...
    This. Simple minds, simple beats.

The media room serves double duty for both movies and music. Surround sound is all in wall with the exception of the subs. I spent a lot of time fooling with the surround only to determine there is no critical listing needed in surround. Good Subs make all the difference. The 250ti's are for listening only. I have never felt the need to add a sub for the music. IMHO The 250ti's fill the room nicely. I have a separate system for the music and a separate system for surround. All the gear is in wall out of the way with a closet door behind to get to the wiring for convenience, Future plans include dressing up the walls with sound treatment and for fun a remote switch to add one of the subs with a BX63 to the 250ti's on occasion. The most necessary features of the room / man cave are the IR repeater incorporated in the center channel so it can all be operated from the perfect reclining seating position with the remote control, and lets not forget the cup holders between the recliners for a cold beverage of choice!!

Thread Information