Thread: Original L65 owners

Original L65 owners

Am new to the Forums. I have owned my L65's since I purchased them new in 1977. My local audio store had most of the JBL line in their demo room and while the L300 was my first choice I just did not have the budget or room for them at the time considering I was just out of high school. I have enjoyed them ever since. Everything is original and mint from the cabinets to the drivers. I just had the woofers re-foamed for the third time. They still amaze me to this day with their wide open sound and tight but not overly punchy or boomy bass. I still remember hearing The Doobie Brothers "Captain and Me" album and the tune "Long Train Runnin" in that demo room when I was hooked on the JBL sound.

Hi Hertzz,

Welcome to LH! You're certainly a keeper of the Flame for your L65's. Meitculous care is rewarded by longlasting performance, although some may say that the spiders and even the cones can't last forever. Might be worth looking into a recone (if available) or possible upgrade to the L65A woofer.

I liked the L65 also when I heard a set at Unversity Stereo in Westwood when I was attending UCLA in the 70's. Couldn't afford them either as a starving college student, LOL!

Be careful though of wanting the L300's. They do have some seductive qualities, as have later generations of the larger monitors that many on this board have or crave. I eventually was able to buy L300's later in life to satisfy, temporarily, that JBL itch!

I'm sure other L65 lovers will pop in. You might also consider posting similar sentiments at Audiokarma.org where there are also a bunch of JBL and L65 fans.

Again, welcome!

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Smile

Congratulations on making two smart decisions :

1. Buying quality in 1977.

2. Keeping them for a long time and taking care of them.

L112 compared to L65

Thanks for the great feedback gents. My L65's are the L65A with the 122a woofer. I purchased a pair of L112's back in 1981 and never liked them nearly as much as the L65. The tweeter in the L112 to my taste paled in comparison to the 077. I did swap the woofers for a period of time as an experiment but have returned them to their original configuration.

Morning, Hertzz,

Welcome to LH! Like you, and many others here at LH, I used to love to go visit our local stereo stores, like the old Pacific Stereo, and listen to JBL's that I could not afford! I loved the L65's, too, but more than once heard stupid sales folks over-drive them to the point that their poor woofers would be popping and snapping!! GRRRRR!!! I heard many other JBL's back then, including my favorite speaker, the L300's, and even a Paragon! I couldn't afford to buy any of them, back then,

Fast forward to just last year, and I finally scored a very nice set of L300's!! I have been waiting for these for 40 years, or so, and they have more than satisfied my "JBL itch"!!

Congrats on having enjoyed your wonderful L65's for so many happy years, and here's to many more such years of listening fun for you!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Yep, the 300s are incredible, I had a pair for years. They weren't placement or eq sensitive, provided your other equip was pretty good they just sounded great. I now have some 65s and haven't found the sweet spot for those. Have recently put 15" stands under some 166s and I can hear an improvement. I believe others, on the forum, have insisted that I raise and tilt back the 65s before I pass final judgement on them?

I'm also a happy L65A owner who pines for L300s. Someday, someday...

I'm a lifelong 030 owner who always wanted L300s. But I skipped the L65 in favor of L112s back in 1982, and skipped over the L300 six-months ago in favor of 4345s, because the opportunity presented itself. I'll probably still own the L300s one day, just to check-off that box!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Raising L65's

I've never found the need to raise them off of the floor. They have always sounded perfect to me due to their wide dispersion I suppose. I can understand the opinion of those that find the L65 too strident sounding because of the 077 radiator. Everyone's hearing is different and I find that I like alot of treble which is probably why I have always liked their sound and personality.

Thread Information