Thread: 2123H as vocal monitors?

2123H as vocal monitors?

This is an idea that has been stuck to my head for a while.
    What about using a 2123H as lows in a passive 2-way vocal monitor? It woud be very small, 9liters plus drivers and port. Even the tiny SRX712M would look big and clumsy in comparision with that. The highish cutoff frequency of about 200Hz would not impose any problem since they will be at the front of the stage, close to the main subs.

However, what treble could it be mated sucessfully with? i also have a bunch of (dead) EV ST350A's laying around, would these somehow cut it? Or is there something better that is small enough to keep the total boxsize to a minimum, can accept a crossover frequency low enough to meet the 2123 and can take the beating as a vocal stage monitor for a rockband? (roughly 120dB) while also not being made of unobtanium or pure gold?
    And most importantly: sound good and not being a feedbackproblem.

The microphones this "hifi" monitor would be used with are Milab LC25 and LC28 condensers. Very sweet and natural sounding mics, so it is sad to destroy the sound from them.

Quote Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
    What about using a 2123H as lows in a passive 2-way vocal monitor? It woud be very small, 9liters plus drivers and port. Even the tiny SRX712M would look big and clumsy in comparision with that. The highish cutoff frequency of about 200Hz would not impose any problem since they will be at the front of the stage, close to the main subs.

However, what treble could it be mated sucessfully with?
    If you want to keep it compact, perhaps you could try the 2123H with the 2404 tweeter, if you are happy to crossover at 2.5/3 kHz or one of the larger 2342 or 2344 horns see here for pic:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=2344

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

hello electro!

i thought about the same thing recently (but for home use). i will try to mate the 2123 with the beyma 150h when i can lay my hands on a pair:

specsheet

please keep us informed about your choice!

cheers,
    mikey
    I'm selling a pair of JBL 4435 in Vienna, Austria

short_circutz
    We built 4 small wedge monitors using 2118 with a cheap MG hornloaded tweet and home built passive crossovers. Te smaller acoustic type live acts, as well as some of the theatre groups love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Alesi View Post
    If you want to keep it compact, perhaps you could try the 2123H with the 2404 tweeter, if you are happy to crossover at 2.5/3 kHz or one of the larger 2342 or 2344 horns see here for pic:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=2344

Best
    JA
    The 2404 would be perfect. Unfourtunately i cant find any of them around here so i have to look for other options.
    2342-44 is a bit to big to fit the idea and will most likely be just as hard to get.
    However, i think i can source a bunch of alnico 24xx drivers easily, is there any good solution for that? Maybe even a homemade wooden horn?

Quote Originally Posted by demon View Post
    hello electro!

i thought about the same thing recently (but for home use). i will try to mate the 2123 with the beyma 150h when i can lay my hands on a pair:

cheers,
    mikey
    That beyma looks very nice! But a bit too big for me.
    Unfourtunately, there wasnt any smaller version aviable from what i could see on their webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by short_circutz View Post
    We built 4 small wedge monitors using 2118 with a cheap MG hornloaded tweet and home built passive crossovers. Te smaller acoustic type live acts, as well as some of the theatre groups love them.
    Well, then you also did a great job with their sound, its never equipment alone that makes them happy.
    However, my project is mostly to satisfy me and the audience since i have noticed that when you get over a certain monitorlevel, then the distortion from the monitors will go back in the mic and make a mess of the clarity in the PA. So better monitors will raise the threshold for that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
    Would it be possible to cut out parts of the 2342 horn to make it smaller without degrading its performance too much? If so, what is the best way to cut it? the actual horn will be made of wood.
    Also, what is the difference between 2418 and 2417?

Sorry, i am not a ms-paint artist
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wouldn't do it the way you drew here, mounting the bas underneath one of the wings of the 2342

if you really need them to be close together, I'd take some out of the bottom of the 2342, actually I think I have seen JBL 2342 that had that done to them from the factory

but the 2123 already has a square frame for close mounting, so I'd just stick with the normal setup I think

Thread Information