Thread: Thiele Small Parameter measurement question

Thiele Small Parameter measurement question

Hi, has anyone taken T-S Parameter measurements of 604Es? I was wondering if one needs to measure TSP for his own set of speakers, or if the variance in TSP measurements among different 604Es is negligible enough that I can use the common measurement when I eventually decide to DIY 604E cabinets... for example, are the TSP data on the following link reliable???

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...ele-Small.html

Asking because of laziness... don't want to go through the lengths of buying a sine-wave generator, frequency counter, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by latestyle
    Asking because of laziness... don't want to go through the lengths of buying a sine-wave generator, frequency counter, etc.

- Well, you're in luck because dogmatically using TS parameters doesn't really help one ( arrive at an obvious choice ) when tuning this class of woofer / assuming you follow standard "tuning" guidelines and choose an alignment number [ Q(tc) ] of .5 or greater / .
    - With a system alignment like this ( Qtc = .5 or greater ) one will end up with a box size that's too small for producing much bass .

- You'll need to ask around some ( including Todds' Altec Forum over at Hostboard) as well as searching all the available forums to find out which box size ( & tuning ) works best for the 604E .
    - See if you can engage GM in conversation to ask him if the 604E is a candidate for one of his MLTL tunings ( Mass Loaded Transmission Lines ) .

- If this is all too much hassle / you might just sell them .

>< cheers

Thanks, Earl... what's strange is that almost everyone that I know (one of them, a very well known speaker designer) has recommended TSP measurements for the 604E & this is the first instance when someone's told me it doesn't matter... hmm...

- Here are two system alignments, as generated by my old MacSpeakerz box tuning software ( using the published TS parameters from Todd ) .
    - The first system alignment has a Qtc of .5 while the second has a Qtc of .342
    - ( ie; it's a small box > then a much larger box / or / 3.2 cu' vs 9 cu' , both tuned to 30 hz ) .

>< cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Earl, thank you so much!

Thread Information