Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible Jazz Guitar

Incredible Jazz Guitar

Hi Guys & Gals, I know there are quite a few jazz fans here in this forum & I was wondering if you could share some of your favorite guitarists of the genre, new & old.

Based on the title of this thread it is only fitting that I start it with the man himself & the following offerings (Impressions, probably my favorite song of his I love the version on Smokin' at the Half Note).... Dig!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvdU7f-q7I

Just Play Music.

Kessel / Burrell / Green - Blue Mist

I also like Kenny Burrell & Grant Green, though not familiar w/Mr Kessel this video is quite impressive. I found this while trying to find some clips of Gran Green but there does not appear to be too many of them (& thats an understatement!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKW40...eature=related
    Just Play Music.

The best CD recording of Wes' is the "Goin' Out of My Head" remaster...listen to that on a decent stereo...it's just amazing. I just picked up "A Night at the Vanguard" with the Kenny Burrell Trio...cool as h e l l. I listened to a lot of Charlie Christian, Grant Green, Tal Farlow, Jim Hall, Barney Kessel, Howard Roberts, Kenny Burrell, George Benson and Johnny Smith growing up...but mostly it was Wes.

Thanks for the suggestions Steve, sounds like you got a well rounded foundation there

Joe Pass anybody, I have a couple of cds by him, I've had a hard time finding something of his that I can really sink my teeth into.
    His Duets cd with John Pisano is one of my favorites by not his typical ensemble I would guess? can anyone chime in with some suggestion on this giant of the guitar.
    Just Play Music.

J.A.F.S.

Lenny Breau (NT)

Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

One of my all time favorite albums:

Quote Originally Posted by toobwacky View Post
    Oh yes, he sure can play. I have seen him live with Chris Botti.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Joe Pass anybody, I have a couple of cds by him, I've had a hard time finding something of his that I can really sink my teeth into.
    not a direct JP recommendation, but i know that Steve Masakowski has been quoted saying he was heavily influneced by Joe Pass... I think there may even be a tribute album, "for joe" or something...

found the tribute album info...
    The resulting album, For Joe, includes a mixture of originals and standards recorded in a trio setting, featuring Bill Huntington on bass and Astral Project bandmate Johnny Vidacovich on drums. The sparse setting allows or Masakowski's seven string guitar and formidable technique to shine as he pays homage to Pass on tunes like Falling in Love With Love, Pass Presence and For Django, the title track of Pass' 1964 album.
    Last edited by louped garouv; 07-17-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: *added tribute album info

SUPERB GUITAR and Ribbon Microphone.

ZREMEN
    Quote Originally Posted by toobwacky View Post

__________________________________________________ ___________

That MIcrophone is An RCA "Model 44-A" Ribbon Microphone used exclisively by NBC, many Radio Stations, Recording Studios & Hollywood Studios Starting in 1930, and it is still the most beautiful "True -To- Life -Smooth"- Sounding Microphone ever in the industry. The classic new "44-BX " You-Are -There" Sounding Ribbon Microphone yields 6-db more sensitivity than 44-A. Both are very highly prized in the recording industry.
    ---------------------------------------
    Cheers......herki the cat
    Last edited by herki the cat; 07-23-2009 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Spelling Erorr

I've seen many great guitarists over the years here in London including John Scofield many times, John Abercrombie, Pat Metheny, Mike Stern. Unfortunately I've never seen George Benson, would love to have seen him.

These are some of my favourite guitar albums

John Scofield - Loud Jazz, Stillwarm, Electric outlet, This meets That, Out like a light, Shinola

Mike Stern - Time in place, Odds or evens

Emily Remler - Transitions, Catwalk

Steve Khan - Arrows

George Benson - Bad Benson

Melvin Sparks - Sparks, Akilah

Scott Henderson & Tribal Tech - Spears, Dr Hee

Carl Verheyen - Slang justice

Pat Metheny - American garage

Brad Buethe - Sidestep

Thank you for the suggestions guys!
    some of the names I have heard of, some are quite new to me but I look forward to sampling some fo their material.

Louped, I just found a copy of For Joe for $1.15, & after listening to the samples on amazon how can I not pull the trigger?! Thanks!

Mr. Loach, that Lenny is one bad ass on the guit, good stuff!

Hello Steve Mac & thanks fot the tip on those two albums. For me at least, the problem with some of these giants is that they have soo much material that its easy to get dissoriented, hence this thread, much appreciated!

Hello Toobwacky, I knew of Mark but never heard any of his recordings, I had a chance to sample this particular recording & thats right up my alley, very nice! Thank you!

Hello herki the cat & Laurie, welcome to the forum!
    Just Play Music.

one more

Quote Originally Posted by laurie View Post
    I've seen many great guitarists over the years here in London including John Scofield many times, ...
    First I read Matt Schofield (from Manchester), he is worth to listen to.

Look at YouTube and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schofield
    "Matt Schofield (born 21 August 1977)[1] is a UK blues guitarist and singer whose music blends blues with rock and funky jazz rhythms. His band, The Matt Schofield Trio, play their own material, which is a blend of blues, funk and jazz, along with covers of blues classics"

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions guys!
    some of the names I have heard of, some are quite new to me but I look forward to sampling some fo their material.

Louped, I just found a copy of For Joe for $1.15, & after listening to the samples on amazon how can I not pull the trigger?! Thanks!
    no worries, he's been on my list for quite awhile...

it's nice to share!

i dig the 'astral project' he's been involved with also....
    http://www.astralproject.com/old/
    (the other players are no slouches either!)

certainly not traditional jazz though....

but i'm OK with that....

No discussion of current guitar virtuosity should leave out Frank Vignola. He has a number of CDs and DVDs out now. One of the most amazing is a DVD:
    Bucky Pizzarelli - Favorite Solos featuring Frank Vignola. Bucky is no slouch either.

Joe Pass is the master, but Herb Ellis shouldn't be forgotten. Pass and Ellis were about the only 2 guitarists who could keep up with Oscar Peterson.

An amazing recording that should be part of any collection is "Skoll - Petterson - Grappelli - Pass" Available on CD and SACD. There you can hear Pass keeping up with 2 of the finest in the world.

Thread Information