Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BGW 500D Stable to 4 OHMS mono?

BGW 500D Stable to 4 OHMS mono?

Hi everyone. New here. I just purchased 2 Klipche Corner horns loaded with JBL 2225's, 2 BGW power amps: 500d and 250b. Yamaha mains. Samson 2500 digital equalizer and active crossover. Alesis Studio 32 4 bus mixer.

My question is: I am considering running the 500d in mono to push the two corner horns, but I can't seem to find information regarding whether or not my amp can handle that. Does anybody know if the BGW 500d is stable running 4 OHMs in mono mode? I am looking to get more power to my JBL 2225's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

Thank you for the reply. I have heard that BGWs turn into monsters when in mono mode.

Quote Originally Posted by OtherwiseSW View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I have heard that BGWs turn into monsters when in mono mode.
    monster=good ?

I have a BGW 750D,250D and 203 preamp ...never a nanosec of complaint from any of them..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Well......I read a post about the 750c and it stated that for that amp in mono mode at 4 ohms, it put out a staggering 2000 watts with a damping factor of 500.

I love the sound of the 500d, even in stereo mode, but I just need more power. My 250b should be here today (from ebay) and I plan to hook it all up and listen to it before proceeding. I considered running one Klipche in mono at first to see what the change is, and go from there.

Have you tried interesting configurations with your BGW?

Well......I read a post about the 750c and it stated that for that amp in mono mode at 4 ohms, it put out a staggering 2000 watts with a damping factor of 500.

I love the sound of the 500d, even in stereo mode, but I just need more power. My 250b should be here today (from ebay) and I plan to hook it all up and listen to it before proceeding. I considered running one Klipche in mono at first to see what the change is, and go from there.

Have you tried interesting configurations with your BGW?
    If you read the specs...the 750 A,B,C are of 1 class of power output and the D,E,F,G are quite a bit higher..

I run the 203 pre to 2 outputs...one goes to an old NAD receiver (that cant do FM anymore) that runs 2 M&K subs.........the other output goes to the 750D (for the 250ti's) and daisy chains to the 250D that run 4410's.

I dont believe that the 750A,B,C are capable of daisy chaining, but not positive.

Wow, that is interesting. mine is just going from the cd player to the mixer, through the alesis midiverb, through the samson 2500 then the samson 2 way crossover, then to the power amps to the speakers. I really haven't considered daisy chaining, but I am open to anything that will give more punch to the speakers.

Sounds like this is a PA system, except for the K horns.

Hi everyone. New here. I just purchased 2 Klipche Corner horns loaded with JBL 2225's, 2 BGW power amps: 500d and 250b. Yamaha mains. Samson 2500 digital equalizer and active crossover. Alesis Studio 32 4 bus mixer.

My question is: I am considering running the 500d in mono to push the two corner horns, but I can't seem to find information regarding whether or not my amp can handle that. Does anybody know if the BGW 500d is stable running 4 OHMs in mono mode? I am looking to get more power to my JBL 2225's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan
    I have home made K horns loaded with JBL D140Fs and even with my AV receiver that only has 110w channel (I used to have SAE 400 w amp before I went 5.0) the bass will be potent! BGW makes very good amps, but I suggest you try it as a stereo amp first. How big is your listing room?

I found a PDF of the owners manual on line. It says that amp is stable in stereo mode at 2 Ohms or more. But only gives a bridged mono rating at 8 ohms. Running it at 4 Ohms would be at your risk.

Hey, that was nice of you to look that up for me. My room is 13 foot by 16. Kinda small. I too have struck out in finding confirmation of the amps mono operation at 4 OHMS. I don't want to lose the amp, but am willing to get creative. At this point, I am able to turn the volume all of the way up with the subs crossed over at 70 hz. I would rather have the sound that I want at half volume. Thanks again.

I really haven't considered daisy chaining, but I am open to anything that will give more punch to the speakers.
    daisy chaining does NOT boost power, it merely passes the signal thru to the next amp on the line...1st amp can be On or OFF, makes no difference.

My room is 14X17

Hey, that was nice of you to look that up for me. My room is 13 foot by 16. Kinda small. I too have struck out in finding confirmation of the amps mono operation at 4 OHMS. I don't want to lose the amp, but am willing to get creative. At this point, I am able to turn the volume all of the way up with the subs crossed over at 70 hz. I would rather have the sound that I want at half volume. Thanks again.
    The position on the level control is not so important, the balance of the sub to the mains is the important part.

I think I will take your advice and run it in stereo. I am still waiting for my 250 b, so I will spend some time balancing the subs and the mains and go from there. You guys have been a lot of help.

The BGW 500D Will run a 4 ohm load in mono... a 4 OHM load mono is the same as a 2 OHM load per channel Stereo... Playing this game alway's = more heat, so make sure the fan system is perfectly clear, NO blockages in air flow.

I assume the 250B will be for your highs... Thats where upgrades sound the best, IE: New power supply caps with bypass caps installed. Low ESR capacitors. Metal film resistors in place of the drifting carbon film. Metal oxide resistors in place of the carbon composite (they suck). And etc...

Two Time "Kidney Transplant Recipient"

The 500D will run 4 ohms bridged no problem. As has been said already, 4 ohms mono is equivalent to 2 ohms stereo. Bridge mono operation will double your voltage. BE SURE YOUR LOAD CAN HANDLE THE POWER.

Years ago we used to run our Crowns in bridge mono, and it was pretty much the only way to get that kind of power output in 1977. However, in 1986, we reconfigured our system, and wired our amps in Stereo. I found I actually think Stereo operation sounds better, unless the amp is a dedicated mono block.

Crown amps now have 2 mono modes, bridge and parallel mono operation. Parallel mono is for low impedance loads, 1 to 2 ohms, and unlike bridge mono swinging twice the voltage, parallel mono delivers twice the current and I found IF I HAVE TO DO MONO LOADS, I prefer parallel mono.

Of course, for me, now that amps are available with all the power we need and MORE, I have no need to mono amps any more.

I say this BECAUSE I used to to think I would never be able to get into the new crop of amplifiers, as in the early stages, I wasn't a fan of switching power supply, high power, lightweight amps.

But, things have changed, technology evolved and matured, and the new styles of amplifiers outdo the older amps on subwoofer duty, IMO. Bass is tight, these amps deliver power, and have tremendous control over woofer cones.

Watts are more economical these days then they were in the BGW 500D,s days. You can get economically priced high power and value to EXTREMELY HIGH POWERED AND EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.

For subwoofer application, I wholeheartedly recommend looking into a Crown, or QSC!
    scottyj

Thanks Tom and scotty. Tom, did you get your system up and going with the 4 JBL 18's?

Not yet. I have to pick up the one 2242hpl from recone on the 15th. I'm doin some Crazy things over here. I've been working on the new rack system. I'm in the process of isolating every fan. I want to hear a pin drop, not a bunch of fan noise. I have changed all fans to dual ball bearing, and mounted them with rubber gromets, then slowed the fan speed way down. I even have an air filtration system I built for the 500D. I can't stand dust in my amps. I've got hundreds of hours into those things. Pretty cool, I have an isolated intake tunnel that leads to an air box. I use a 12"X12" hepa type filter in it. Can't wait to get it done, then I will post pictures. Lets put it this way, I can wait. I have the patience of the pyramids when it come to doing thing Right...

Two Time "Kidney Transplant Recipient"

Thread Information