Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BGW 500D Stable to 4 OHMS mono?

I agree Tom. you definately do things right and are meticulous in your approach. I love my gear that I got from you and have sound that I never imagined. Thanks for that. Can't wait to hear your setup. Over here, I am waiting for my 250 b to arrive so I can hear the whole system. I was certain that the amp would be here yesterday, but was told it may be next week.

I think I am going to run stereo from my 500 d, at least at first, but will most definately be converting to mono to get more power. Do you remember which solder joints need to be changed to make that happen? your brother's band sounded good last night.

J.A.F.S.

BGW

I would look on your favorite auction site for a BGW 150. It is a one rack unit height amp. With the BGW 500, 250 and 150 all you would need would be a 3 way active crossover. A good entry level active crossover is a Behringer CX 3400. It is a 4th order (24 db / octave) unit. It sounds quite good. The mechanical construction is not up to "on the road standards" (it is not built like a tank), but it is quite sufficient for a fixed installation such as home hi-fi use. As for mods to the speakers, all you need to do is disconnect the driver leads from the KLIPSCH crossover and bring them out to 5 way binding posts. I suggest some safety capacitors in-line with the mid range and tweeter drivers (Zilch / Widget -- any ideas on the values?) to protect them from turn on / off thumps.

Have fun!
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by OtherwiseSW View Post
    I agree Tom. you definately do things right and are meticulous in your approach. I love my gear that I got from you and have sound that I never imagined. Thanks for that. Can't wait to hear your setup. Over here, I am waiting for my 250 b to arrive so I can hear the whole system. I was certain that the amp would be here yesterday, but was told it may be next week.

I think I am going to run stereo from my 500 d, at least at first, but will most definately be converting to mono to get more power. Do you remember which solder joints need to be changed to make that happen? your brother's band sounded good last night.
    It runs in my mind, that I put the channel with the bad switch I bypassed, on the right side (looking at the amp from the back). Therefore, you probably just need my switch extentsion. Note: louder isn't alway's better. Running the 500D bridged mono, will reduce it's fidelity (damping factor, much more heat generation, distortion, and etc) it would be nice if you could run it 4 ohm stereo. I have these other K-Horn bottoms. I worry, however, that you do not have the room... You need a fairly large room, to realize the subsonics the klipsch are capable of...
    Last edited by Loud & Clear; 07-12-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling???

Two Time "Kidney Transplant Recipient"

Thread Information