Thread: Experience with Altec 128b Amplifiers

Experience with Altec 128b Amplifiers

Hello,
    Long time lurker here, only posted one other time.
    I just acquired a pair of Altec 128B amplifiers. Both are in decent condition, but are going to need some work. I was surprised to see so little discussion about these amplifiers anywhere on the web, here included. I did manage to find the complete manual with schematic, so I'm in business there. I plan on completely upgrading the units following the original circuit, except for maybe increasing capacitance in a few places.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any opinions on what they are like. I'm surely going to get my own experience soon, but are they any good? I want to run them in a Hi-Fi set up. I have a McIntosh C22 and cornerhorns. Also, does anyone have any proven modifications they might suggest? I am willing to modify them, don't do the design thing myself, but I am willing to experiment with suggestions. From what I see, these amps have a pretty good frequency response, even at full power.
    Any information, experience, input of any kind would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyCee View Post
    Hello,

Thanks!!!
    wow - love to see pictures of them!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by TonyCee View Post
    Hello,
    I just acquired a pair of Altec 128B amplifiers. Both are in decent condition, but are going to need some work. I was surprised to see so little discussion about these amplifiers anywhere on the web, here included. I did manage to find the complete manual with schematic, so I'm in business there. I plan on completely upgrading the units following the original circuit, except for maybe increasing capacitance in a few places.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any opinions on what they are like. I'm surely going to get my own experience soon, but are they any good? I want to run them in a Hi-Fi set up. I have a McIntosh C22 and cornerhorns. Also, does anyone have any proven modifications they might suggest? I am willing to modify them, don't do the design thing myself, but I am willing to experiment with suggestions. From what I see, these amps have a pretty good frequency response, even at full power.
    Any information, experience, input of any kind would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!
    Hey welcome to LH. Start here:

http://www.weitemeyer.net/altec/files/128b.pdf

and

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vint...8B_amp_ALL.pdf

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Thread Information