Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub1500 problem

mrbluster

SPIDER RE-GLUE PROCEEDURE

Would someone care to describe the proper procedure and or technique ?

Originally posted by Giskard
    .... wipe a primer onto the frame spider landing surface, then re-apply some 5019 CA so it soaks through the spider material.

Service centers should have 5019 C.A. adhesive, otherwise it is just a cynoacrylate..."super glue"."

Here are the directions that Giskard posted earlier in this thread. The Loctite version of the glue comes in a squeeze bottle with an applicator tip.

After you order the glue ask Loctite or the distributor for application information so that you know the flash and open times for the primer.

Widget

mrbluster
    Any cleaning, sanding or other prep of Landing surface before primer?

They are brand new and should be clean. The spider is glued directly to the powder coat finish.

Do you have a defective woofer?

Widget

mrbluster
    My SUB1500 is still on the shelf, I am afraid that by the time I put it to use, If there is a problem, my options will be limited (Don't know how long PE will stand behind these?) It would be reasuring to know that I could handle the repair in the event it was needed. My thinking regarding the preping of the surface was with the idea that some of the old bonding material might remain.
    Thanks Widget,

MB

jbl
    What ever happened to JBL's claim on all their spec sheets of raw drivers that if the driver didn't meet spec it was destroyed? It is a big mistake for JBL to let anything go on the market with such a high defect percentage. If they are selling their defects to parts distributors, they (JBL) will ruin their reputation in no time.

Ron

mrbluster

OPTIONS

It would be nice if both Parts Express and JBL would issue a clear statement outlining there position on this problem including options and time frame. Although it might be reasuring to have Information for a "Do it your self" repair, It is really not an appropriate solution considering the circumstances.

MB

Obsolete
    I think you should probably start with PE and see where they got the drivers from.

Where is the data showing the defect percentage? I can't find it.

Check the PE forum to see if there are any 1500SUB issues on it.
    Last edited by 4313B; 07-02-2004 at 10:43 AM.

Ron,

I agree that JBL shouldn't sell their rejects. That said, I doubt that these woofers were seconds or rejects. So far we have run into two failures out of the several dozen that were purchased by forum members. This is unfortunate, but sometimes people make mistakes. I for one am glad that JBL sold these surplus woofers to PE so that we would have the opportunity to enjoy them at a very small fraction of their retail price.

Since these woofers were not sold at retail I don't think JBL is obligated to do anything. One reason that a new JBL or any other product costs what it does is that part of that price is to cover the occasional replacement or warranty repair that is inevitable. As a quality retailer PE will take care of any problems that may arise.

Widget

jcdahl
    My guess is that PE did not get these from JBL. They probably bought them from an "excess Inventory" liquidator in Europe. Most often the original manufacturer's warranty would not apply to this kind of merchandise. Personally, I dont think this is a serious problem. I am sure PE will provide service to these drivers if more incidents occur of this nature. I have talked to them just last friday and they assured me they will be able to repair mine and it will be "good as new". It should be on its way back to me next week. I'll keep you all posted.

jbl
    Mr. Widget,
    I agree. Both JBL and PE should be allowed to correct the problem. If it is a problem. I was unaware that so few units were affected. Assuming that these units were in some way "rejects" was unfair.

Ron

Tom Loizeaux

A new potential Sub1500 problem

It was pointed out to me that, because the Sub1500 has breather holes punched throught the cone, between the inside of the dust cover/ voice coil area, that dirt and debris might be sucked into the gap. All the other JBL cone drivers I have seen use screens to keep out debris, but the Sub1500 does not! I wonder what JBL would say about this?

If I decide to keep mine, I think I will glue small discs of a very fine mesh (sheer stocking) over these holes.

Tom

RIP 2009

Re: A new potential Sub1500 problem

Originally posted by Tom Loizeaux
    It was pointed out to me that, because the Sub1500 has breather holes punched throught the cone, between the inside of the dust cover/ voice coil area, that dirt and debris might be sucked into the gap. All the other JBL cone drivers I have seen use screens to keep out debris, but the Sub1500 does not! I wonder what JBL would say about this?

Tom
    JBL is usually pretty conscientous about this kind of stuff. I wonder if it's really open to the voice coil gap under there, or if they addressed it somehow, though I don't know how they would do it.

Interesting...

John

jcdahl
    Well, at long last, I have received my repaired SUB1500 back from Parts Express. It works great and looks as good as new.
    They explained that the reason it took so long was that they did not repair it in-house. They sent it out and the shop they sent it to had to order special adhesives and primer to ensure that the job was done right.

It looks like the did the job right.

WOW! Two of them really do the job. I have been running them with my Paragon and I hear things that I never knew were on the some of my CDs. Really Low and really clean bass.

I am building some companion speakers for them using a pair of LE10's to cover 90HZ to 500HZ, a pair of LE5-6's to cover 500 to 7000 and a pair of 075's to fill in the top

Iwilll tri-amp the system using my Makie 2600 to drive the SUBs and a Dynaco ST70 to drive the LE10 and Le5's, and a JBL solid state 20W amp to drive the 075's Crossover is accomplished with a Rane three way electronic crossover and the Mackie built in 90HZ crossover

add on to old thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    The glue is Loctite model 422. The appropriate primer is Loctite 770 Prism Primer. We buy Loctite products from R.S. Hughes Co. They stock the full line of Loctite products and have offices all over the country. Their toll free number is 877-774-8443

The smallest amount they stock is a 1 oz. bottle. That will do dozens and dozens of woofers. I called and the 422 was just under $20. I didn't price the primer. I have some that I use with other Loctite CA glues. I would expect it to be in the $10 range.

Widget
    Thanks for the tip to R.S. Hughs.

I had one of my sub1500's spiders lift from the frame as well. I was drunk one night and was trying to get one of my pc's to output into my system and it wasn't working. So then I hit some button and there was sound, with everything maxed out, but I couldn't pull the siders down fast enough on my board. Sounded like alliens were landing!!

I have 2 sub1500's in a single 5 cu ft sealed box powered by a QSC rmx2450 amp. 1 failed and the other is ok. The failed serial # is J864-05990, if anyone is keeping track.

Thread Information