Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub1500 problem

jbl

Question

Where all of the defective 1500's purchased at Parts Express?

jcdahl
    Originally posted by jbl
    Where all of the defective 1500's purchased at Parts Express?
    Mine was... They are working on it now.

Umm.

If worse comes to worse, and they cant rectify the situation, PE could always give you guys a few Genuine Eminence drivers, after all, IF youve listened to live music, chances are youve listened to Eminence!

O.K., so tell me why sending them SUB 1500's back to JBL for warranty repair is not an option?

I have four I haven't fired up yet.

[Working on it, tho....]

RIP 2009
    I doubt JBL directly warrants these particular Sub1500s because they apparently were intended for use in the Revel subwoofers, and this stock was either discontinued/surplus, and not intended for end users as individual components.

If you actually had one of the Revel systems, maybe JBL would accomodate you, unless they directly supply Revel with recone kits, but as far as I know, "gray market" items like these are rarely covered by the manufacturer, especially at the price they went for. They *might* do a recone at the factory, (does JBL still do that?), but I doubt it would be covered by warranty...

John

MJC
    Originally posted by jcdahl
    After getting a Quote from OC Speaker, Parts Express decided to undertake the repair themselves. I am sending it off today so, we will see what they come up with. I included in the returned shipment all of the good suggestions from this thread.

I'LL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED
    Selling speakers and other parts is one thing, but doing speaker repair is a whole different animal. I realize that we paid only $250 for these and OCS repair prices aren't cheap($200 for 112A recone). So the question becomes how good of a job will PE do? Hopefully for those with this problem, a job comparable to OCS.

GUARANTEE

Hi All non functional sub 1500 users,

someone has please to explain me what's about the guarantee of the company (mostly with 5 years for fabricational disfunctions)
    I can not understand, why the owners of such new speakers not easy ship them back and get a new.

HP
    Last edited by Hofmannhp; 06-28-2004 at 09:58 AM.
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

I don't care who the "Dealer" is, JBL Pro typically warrants its products against manufacturing defects, and provides excellent factory service.

This is clearly defective manufacturing, and, unless there was a specific warranty disclaimer, we should be leaning on the factory to take care of it directly.

Do we presume "Tent Sale" or "B-Stock" items come without warranty just because we get a good deal on them?

As far as I know all items from the Tent are under waranty. I got damaged goods that were promptly replaced. Now with parts sold through PE?? If it was a close out of 2226's they would be covered against defects in workmanship. So why not these??? Unless the intention was not to sell them as drivers. Bottom line is has anyone actually contact JBL to find out??

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 06-28-2004 at 09:58 AM.

It seems that there is a lot being made about very little here.

These woofers were sold by JBL at well below their normal wholesale cost. PE was able to purchase JBL's remaining inventory for a song and they passed it on to us. PE is in effect offering the warranty. JBL might take care of these speakers, but since they dumped them they certainly are not obligated to. I am sure if PE can't fix them, they will refund the money paid for the woofers. That would be the "right" thing to do and they are a very ethical company.

If I end up having a problem with any of the remaining woofers that I have yet to unbox I think I would fix it/them myself. It is a simple fix. Since Giskard sleuthed the proper glue, it would be easy for any of us to do the repair.

Why are so many people so uptight about such a simple problem that has only affected a handful of woofers?

Widget

... it would be easy for any of us to do the repair.
    Heh, heh. If any of mine fail, I know who to call now.
    Last edited by Zilch; 06-28-2004 at 11:00 AM.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Since Giskard sleuthed the proper glue, it would be easy for any of us to do the repair.
    Yes, I would think a physical check of the spider and spider pad would indicate an imminent failure. If the spider is easily separated from the pad then careful application of primer and glue is in order. I would be inclined to repair small sections of the spider so as to keep the voice coil properly aligned. I've seen this happen on other drivers before. 115H-1's and 127H-1's come to mind. The spider will separate pretty easily if the primer was forgotten. Like the designer of this driver said - it should never fail if the primer was applied first.

What are the over-the-counter primer and adhesive equivalents Mr. Widget?
    Last edited by 4313B; 06-28-2004 at 10:48 AM.

I don't think that we want to make a big fuss about this. Problems like this might make JBL want to bury the next batch of surplus woofers in a landfill anstead of selling them off so cheaply.

Obsolete

There just might be some merit in that! Harman sure had no problems filling several huge dumpsters with perfectly good service product back in the nineties! Dark days indeed! Never even offered the Service Centers the opportunity to stock up for their hard won customers!

Originally posted by Giskard

What are the over-the-counter primer and adhesive equivalents Mr. Widget?
    The glue is Loctite model 422. The appropriate primer is Loctite 770 Prism Primer. We buy Loctite products from R.S. Hughes Co. They stock the full line of Loctite products and have offices all over the country. Their toll free number is 877-774-8443

The smallest amount they stock is a 1 oz. bottle. That will do dozens and dozens of woofers. I called and the 422 was just under $20. I didn't price the primer. I have some that I use with other Loctite CA glues. I would expect it to be in the $10 range.

Widget

Thread Information