Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub1500 problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jcdahl

Sub1500 problem

Has anyone had problems with the JBL SUB 1500s from Parts Express ?
    I just recently christened mine. After about 10 hours of use, one of the SUB's spider has detached from the frame. I called PE tech support and they said they had problems with three or four units out of the 500+ units they sold in their recent inventory liquidation. Since they can not get any more, they have offered to have mine repaired at their expense by Orange County Speakers .

I wonder if this damage happened from use (I am driving them with a Mackie M2600 [800W max into 4 ohms] crossed over at 90hz and no EQ)

I didn't want to bring it up, but yes I have had the same problem. I bought quite a few of them. Of the first two I put into service one of mine had the exact same problem. I sent it back to PE and they quickly shipped me another. I am sure they will take care of it for you.

To put other's minds at ease, I have beat the hell out of four others with no problems. Hopefully none of those sent to Europe will be defective as the shipping issues could be a problem. If one were in a pinch I would expect it wouldn't be too difficult to re-glue the spider yourself... but I would pursue a proper repair via PE first.

Widget

Frode
    Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    I

Hopefully none of those sent to Europe will be defective as the shipping issues could be a problem.
    Widget
    Yeah, shipping to Norway was $150 each!

Frode

WOW!

Originally posted by Frode
    Yeah, shipping to Norway was $150 each!

Frode
    Ouch, thats expensive freight costs!

jcdahl
    I receive a response from Orange County Speaker repair. They say they can not re-attach the spider. They would have to recone it but they don't have parts for this speaker. They would have to substitute parts. I don't think the know which speaker this is because they kept referring to the "EON 1500" so, I will try somewhere else. Any suggestions?

C4RSUB1500 Recone Kit

Contact OCS and tell them you will need the C4RSUB1500 kit for your Sub 1500. They should be able to order it from JBL.

Giskard had posted the kit number on the massive Sub 1500 thread. I thought I had better take note of it for future reference. Thanks, Giskard!

Good luck,

Widget

BTW. I am sure that with care the spider could be reglued. If I were in Europe I would certainly give it a shot. OCS is saying the right thing, but then you aren't supposed to refoam a speaker either.
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 06-09-2004 at 10:36 PM.

can we see....

I wonder if someone with one of the broken Sub1500's could post in a digital cam shot of the damage so I can understand what the problem looks like. I have got one of these from PE and would be very interested to know where to look to see if any damage is starting to happen.

thanks,
    jarrod

If the woofer is out of the enclosure and you carefully push the cone forward you can see the spider lift from the frame allowing you a view of that magnificent voicecoil.

The symptoms of the failure are distortion and/or the sound of voicecoil rub. Bo happened to be at my place when it became quite obvious. It is the sort of failure that will occur by the time you have finished breaking in the woofer. Basically if it doesn't fail within the first few hard hitting hours, it won't. I suppose if you never push the thing it may never fail... remember they stress tested them to over 40Vrms for over 8 hrs. That is well over 400 rms watts continuously! Believe me you couldn't stay in the room with that!

Widget

Tom Loizeaux
    I wonder if it would be advisable to do a pre-emptive "repair" on these Sub 1500s. It seems to me that applying extra adhesive to the spyder, forcing it down in to the fabric might keep this seperation from happening. If it's done before seperation, the spyder placement will still be correct.

Any thoughts on this from experienced JBL re-coners? Oldmics, etc.?

Tom

jcdahl
    Thanks for the Info. I remembered the Kit being in the long SUB1500 thread but could not find it.

OC just quoted me a price of $461.00 to recone the thing with the C4RSUB1500 recone kit.

However, after I better explained the situation, they said they could probably reglue the existing spider to the frame. I think I will load it into the car and drive over to LA and talk to them. I have a couple of LE15As that need reconing and Magnet recharging anyway.

I will try to get a picture of it tonight. It is rather hard to get my camera in there.
    Last edited by jcdahl; 06-10-2004 at 11:49 AM.

jcdahl
    Here are some photos of the detached spider.

It has come loose completely 360deg around the outer circumference

JCD
    Last edited by jcdahl; 06-10-2004 at 07:29 PM.

Maron Horonzakz
    I guess the 1500 was'nt such a good deal after all. I wonder how many "REVEL" subwoofers have failed & were covered under warrenty?

RIP 2009
    So far, I've had one Sub1500 that I'm using for live bass guitar, and two still in the box. But I run the live one at very high sustained output, probably eight hours total so far with 800 watts near max most the time. It appears fine so far - I hope the others are OK... Using them in a normal or even loud HT setup probably wouldn't drive them near as hard as my live bass, so it seems there is either a manufacturing defect or materials, (glue), defect in some of these.

How about posting SNs so we can see if only a certain run appears to be involved? I'll post my 3 later this evening or tomorrow.

John

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
    I guess the 1500 was'nt such a good deal after all. I wonder how many "REVEL" subwoofers have failed & were covered under warrenty?
    I guess there isn't enough data yet for me to extrapolate that they weren't such a good deal after all.

Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
    I guess the 1500 was'nt such a good deal after all.
    I am enjoying the hell out of mine!

Thread Information