Thread: Model 19's

Model 19's

I just picked up a pair of model 19's... They sound great but need work.
    Any ideas on what type of veneer was used ?
    Any ideas or suggestions what type of venner to use ???
    10mil 20 mil 2 ply ???

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Whatever1 View Post
    I just picked up a pair of model 19's... They sound great but need work.
    Any ideas on what type of veneer was used ?
    Any ideas or suggestions what type of venner to use ???
    10mil 20 mil 2 ply ???

Thanks

If the cabs are square & level on the surfaces you'd need to use 2 or 3mm veneer in the species of your choice. If not you'll need to fill all the uneven surfaces & square off all the edges first. Make sure the original veneer isn't going to lift anywhere & if it's stable you should be able to veneer over the top of the original. If not you may have to remove the original veneer first. Be very careful here though as 19's are usually constructed from particle board & you may pull off some of the actual timber when trying to do this.

10 mil or 20 mil would be very difficult to apply.

John

I have lightly sanded and refinished a set of 19's that I sold and currently own a beautiful original set of 19's in walnut. The original veneer is very thin (1/16") I believe so sand lightly. The wood under the veneer is indeed MDF and is a mess to work with so be careful. If your cabinets are that beat up rather than re-veneering why not build new cabinets with proper bracing. Say 3/4" BB Plywood stained and finished to your liking would be extremely nice and may sound better too. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by doclamb View Post
    I have lightly sanded and refinished a set of 19's that I sold and currently own a beautiful original set of 19's in walnut. The original veneer is very thin (1/16") I believe so sand lightly. The wood under the veneer is indeed MDF and is a mess to work with so be careful. If your cabinets are that beat up rather than re-veneering why not build new cabinets with proper bracing. Say 3/4" BB Plywood stained and finished to your liking would be extremely nice and may sound better too. JMHO.
    If you think that they're HEAVY now, they're gonna weigh a lot more if you build plywood cabinets. Plywood also has different acoustic properties that might not be what you want.

I re-veneered the tops of my 19's due to water damage from flower pots. It's a very straight forward & inexpensive job compared to the time & materials of building new cabs.

Mike

Thread Information