Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESS / Heil Air-Motion Transformers Available Again!

Quote Originally Posted by toobwacky View Post
    My eyes bugged out of my head when I got the new Parts Express sales flyer yesterday. New ESS AMTs are going to be available for sale on 7-3. Pricey at $350 each, but I'm getting a pair nonetheless.

What JBL woofer should I pair with these? It has to be around 92db and work in a 3 cubic foot or smaller box.

Thanks!
    $350 isn't out of line when you consider that a decent used pair will often go for $500 and new diaphragms are $80 each. I have AMT-1s in a three way system and crossed at 9K. They are outstanding tweeters.

Bob Walker
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Could an AMT woofer be made by upscaling the dimensions ?

Interesting system Bob. Is that the Great White Horn you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Interesting system Bob. Is that the Great White Horn you're using?
    I've never heard it called that but it's an EV HR60 and driven with 288Cs with 8 ohm diaphragms. I couldn't find them in the US and after months of searching these turned up in Germany.

It's an incredible system and I can only thank Evert Veenstra, who you know here as AltecLansingFan, for convincing me to build it, finding the horns, and walking me through the crossover. He recently convinced me to try some quality cables and as a skeptic about that whole thing I was reluctant to try them and very surprised at the noticeable improvement.

It was four months after I had assembled all of the parts before I got to it and only took a day to put it all together. I really liked the stock 620As that I was using and I was in no hurry to get rid of them. However, I couldn't believe my ears when I hooked these up and six months later I'm still blown away.

It has a 416-8B and a modified Model 19 crossover with an added capacitor for the tweeter at 9K. The 620A cabinets are a perfect match for the 416-8B and the rest is simply a good match of speaker components along with a Dynaco CDV-2 CDP, a McIntosh MX110 preamp and a McIntosh 240 amp. BTW the Model 19 crossover on the cabinet is just plugging the hole and has been replaced with a piece of plywood.

Bob Walker

Quote Originally Posted by rgwalker View Post
    BTW the Model 19 crossover on the cabinet is just plugging the hole and has been replaced with a piece of plywood.

Bob Walker
    CORRECTION: Those are 604-8G crossovers plugging the holes in the photos.

Bob W

If keeping to the original design/two way with passive I would use an altec 414c for the mid/woof. I am new here but the explanation was the Heil being super quick needs the fastest midrange you can get. I did away with the passive radiator and used a modified transmission line with the altec and am quite pleased with the results. Blows away the original AMT1's or the KEF 104/2's they replaced in quickness/transparency. The 12" is also recommended over the 15" only because it is important to keep the large tweet/mid Heil as close to the mid/woof as possible. Mine sits on top the absolute minimum separation- within 3/8" of the frame! Love the sound. Recommended.

Welcome to LHF

Quote Originally Posted by cerondipity View Post
    If keeping to the original design/two way with passive I would use an altec 414c for the mid/woof. I am new here but...
    Sounds interesting.

What crossover frequency/topology did you use?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Sounds interesting.

What crossover frequency/topology did you use?

Widget
    I was spending too much time and money so gave up trying Altec crossovers and even active (fried a good amp with a shorted patch cord). So went back to the original AMT crossover and upgraded the parts. I believe mine is series "c" with a crossover at 800 hz with a 12 db slope. There is (what the members here already know) a midbass bump that I think is characteristic of the altec and not the crossover, but It gives an interesting punchiness. Not sure how to smooth that out while using the existing xover. Still I am quite pleased. This is my first truly transparent speaker.

Horn loaded AMTs

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Savant View Post
    Speaker Builder magazine of 04/82 had a two-part project for a "Horn-loaded Heil" (home made horn & AMT !) with a crossover of 300 to 500 hz.
    Claimed to have exceptional performance.
    Article/project was by Kenneth Rauen of Detroit. Looks easier to buy one than to make them yourself.
    ...and I found you while looking for what else has happened in the intervening years. I'm the one who built those horn-loaded AMTs back around 1980 and had the article published in Speaker Builder, in one of its early issues. If you have any questions, I'm available for comment.

Ken Rauen

Anybody interested in a nice clean pair of ESS Heil AMT's that work in the ESS L4. LS5, or LS8?Name:  HEILAMT1.gif
Views: 3561
Size:  148.6 KBName:  HEILAMT2.gif
Views: 3880
Size:  142.3 KB

Interested in your ESS Heil AMT's

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    Anybody interested in a nice clean pair of ESS Heil AMT's that work in the ESS L4. LS5, or LS8?Name:  HEILAMT1.gif
Views: 3561
Size:  148.6 KBName:  HEILAMT2.gif
Views: 3880
Size:  142.3 KB
    Will you ship to Sweden?

/Fredrik

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbbbx View Post
    Will you ship to Sweden?

/Fredrik
    Sure, Sweden's no problem.

Thread Information