Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: Jbl B460 + Bx63a

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France Near Paris
    Posts
    103
    it seems that when the B460 was released, it is expected to work with satellites whose frequency does not fall below 60Hz and the B460 to 30Hz/0db
    I think the BX63A will flatten the frequency of my 2235H and my L300 will no longer work properly,
    to do should be a filter that can adjust the frequencies of each speaker with overlapping frequencies in the bass 2235H down to 40Hz and 30Hz for the B460,I do not know if this type of filter is ?
    especially is my analysis is correct?
    thank you for your advice


  2. #17
    Dang. Amateur speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,704
    The BX63A will passively high pass the "satellites" so they and the subwoofer do not overlap. I doubt you would like it if they overlapped. You will not be losing anything by taking the lowest frequencies out of the L300's. The B460 can handle those very well all by itself. Besides, being free of the lowest frequencies, the L300's will more cleanly reproduce the upper bass and lower midrange.

    The one thing that has changed since the day of the B460 is that JBL now considers it better to use multiple subwoofers rather than just one, but you could try one first and see if you get the performance you want that way, and add another later.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France Near Paris
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Honestly, if you really want to get a wee bit more out of your L300's then just tune them down to 25 to 26 Hz, apply the BX63 with the high pass defeated and enjoy your newly created QB6 alignment.
    * Especially in larger rooms where the room gain starts lower and the overall room response is more uniform.
    what is QB6 ..

    Thank you for these details,
    I'm just curious but also interested in understanding the mechanism of sound reproduction without going into technical details that I do not understand.
    A user point of view seems more relevant to me !
    My room is 5X8x3H meters

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France Near Paris
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The one thing that has changed since the day of the B460, is that JBL now considers it better to use multiple subwoofers rather than just one, but you could try one first and see if you get the performance you want that way, and add another later.
    thank you for informations, also i have the possibility to pickup new B460 with new reform for €1700 and i dont now if it is a good price for 2009 ..
    it is also possible that one day I do the 5.1 and the B460 will be interesting for me but it would require a THX filter now to move in that direction (with a quality at least equal to what I currently) .. it's just a question

  5. #20
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,436
    Quote Originally Posted by mm54 View Post
    what is QB6 ..

    Thank you for these details,
    I'm just curious but also interested in understanding the mechanism of sound reproduction without going into technical details that I do not understand.
    A user point of view seems more relevant to me !
    My room is 5X8x3H meters
    AT some point, grasshopper, you need to read and think and ask thoughtful questions ...

    As I used to tell the marketing types at the TV studio I worked at, years back:

    "I wish I could change the laws of physics just for you, but ..."

    Basically, either you get it, or you study more until you DO get it ...

    But how will you understand if you chase the teacher away??
    2ch: RPi-4, Oppo, Acurus RL-11,Jolida 502,Valencias,JBL L212,Von Schw
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France Near Paris
    Posts
    103
    Hi Hjames , I think you're right
    I just want to say that I can not take a degree of sound engineer to listen music
    some of you have years of experience and I find it easier to understand by taking the users views like you rather than trying to read books that I do not realy understand, I have trouble deciphering some posts and there is insufficient time for me ..
    again thank you to all members who take the trouble to answer questions that should be easy and repetitive ..I hope my english is not to bad.. it is important for me to listen your comments, I appreciate your help

  7. #22
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,436
    Quote Originally Posted by mm54 View Post
    Hi Hjames , I think you're right
    I just want to say that I can not take a degree of sound engineer to listen music
    some of you have years of experience and I find it easier to understand by taking the users views like you rather than trying to read books that I do not realy understand, I have trouble deciphering some posts and there is insufficient time for me ..
    again thank you to all members who take the trouble to answer questions that should be easy and repetitive ..I hope my english is not to bad.. it is important for me to listen your comments, I appreciate your help
    I have no advanced degree, but I spent nearly 20 years doing AV engineering work
    around TV and cable tv systems ... before I got into web development ...
    but I am not a design level engineer like 4313B or the JBL folks ...
    so, I read A LOT here, and ask questions, and sometimes ask the louder ones
    to explain things when I don't get them -
    and sometimes I just let them talk and I listen, because I figure I won't get EVERYTHING,
    but if I get a big part of it, thats all I really need.
    2ch: RPi-4, Oppo, Acurus RL-11,Jolida 502,Valencias,JBL L212,Von Schw
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France Near Paris
    Posts
    103
    i am looking for a Bx63A ..
    Name:  mm54_JBL_BX63A.jpg
Views: 3668
Size:  33.0 KB
    picture from jarrods thread2187

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France Near Paris
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

    B460

    Keele designed the BX63 way back when he was working at JBL (After leaving EV. He's now at Harman-Becker along with Richard H. Small of Thiele-Small fame).

    Don't let the title of the AES papers throw you with respect to the B380 and B460, they are quasi-third order alignments as are most high performance JBL loudspeaker systems due to their low Q transducers. Addition of the BX63 makes them quasi-fifth order. If you understand the concepts it all makes sense. One can choose to use the BX63 or not depending on boundary reinforcement in any given room.
    thank you 4313B , I just begin to understand

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France Near Paris
    Posts
    103
    Does anyone have an idea what a b460 in fair condition is worth today?

    the same question 01-20-2005, 05:09 PM
    and the reply from Zilch thread4403 :
    If I'm sellin':

    Poor = $200, maybe
    Fair = $300
    Good = $500
    Excellent = $750
    Mint = $1000

    If I'm buyin':

    "What'd you PAY for that worthless piece of crap? Didya get the crossover thingy with it? No WAY anybody's gonna pay to SHIP that obsolete beast anywhere...."

  11. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by mm54 View Post
    Does anyone have an idea what a b460 in fair condition is worth today?

    If you have to ask, chances are you can't afford one!

  12. #27
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,422
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If you have to ask, chances are you can't afford one!
    People have thrown that answer at me for many years. It just ain't true. And always a little patronizing!

    I asked a customer many decades ago what she was asking for her even-then vintage BMW car (3.0CS) I'd seen an ad for. Her reply was a bit more acerbic: "More than you can afford." I forced myself not to reply with the first thing that came into my mind. After all, it was in our store and she was a customer with other cars from us.

    It didn't surprise me when I heard within a year that her husband had committed suicide. Pleasant woman.

    But, to try to answer the question, I've watched B460s go for as little as $350 in need of surrounds and cabinetry work and without the BX63, to asking nearly ten-times that, as seen here: http://www.katzassaudio.com/speakers.html. And I seem to recall occasions here where several have dropped their jaws in reaction to what a BX63 brought on Ebay all by itself!

    So the answer may not be "if you have to ask, you can't afford one" but more like "what are you willing to pay and how long are you willing to wait"? I got tired of looking for a deal on what I wanted and just figured, "screw it, I'm gonna enjoy what I want while I still can."

    I hope you find what you're looking for.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."óGreg Timbers

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France Near Paris
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    So the answer may not be "if you have to ask, you can't afford one" but more like "what are you willing to pay and how long are you willing to wait"? I got tired of looking for a deal on what I wanted and just figured, "screw it, I'm gonna enjoy what I want while I still can."
    I hope you find what you're looking for.
    there are philosophers on the forum and I am happy to this answer!
    I say what I think

    http://www.katzassaudio.com/speakers.html I have already consulted the link but I want from France or Germany (shipping cost)

  14. #29
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rocinante
    Posts
    8,792
    Does anyone have an idea what a b460 in fair condition is worth today?
    Hello mm54

    Build your own we have the plans. Get a 2245 basket get a fresh recone and if you can score a BX-63/63A so much the better. That way you end up with essentially a new sub.

    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  15. #30
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,436
    Quote Originally Posted by mm54 View Post
    there are philosophers on the forum and I am happy to this answer!
    I say what I think

    http://www.katzassaudio.com/speakers.html I have already consulted the link but I want from France or Germany (shipping cost)
    Yes, but he has a matched pair!
    2ch: RPi-4, Oppo, Acurus RL-11,Jolida 502,Valencias,JBL L212,Von Schw
    7: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. DBX 18" Subwoofer Poorman's JBL B460
    By stephane RAME in forum Miscellaneous Gear
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 10:35 AM
  2. Odeon Leicester Square a JBL installation.
    By JBL 4645 in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 06:20 AM
  3. JBL Control 1 summertime project surround array and more!
    By JBL 4645 in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 12:29 AM
  4. B460 and JBL Pro Sub opinions anyone?
    By Izzy Weird in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 12:41 PM
  5. Weighing in on a few issues, L220 and B460
    By pmakres1 in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •