Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jbl B460 + Bx63a

it seems that when the B460 was released, it is expected to work with satellites whose frequency does not fall below 60Hz and the B460 to 30Hz/0db
    I think the BX63A will flatten the frequency of my 2235H and my L300 will no longer work properly,
    to do should be a filter that can adjust the frequencies of each speaker with overlapping frequencies in the bass 2235H down to 40Hz and 30Hz for the B460,I do not know if this type of filter is ?
    especially is my analysis is correct?
    thank you for your advice

The BX63A will passively high pass the "satellites" so they and the subwoofer do not overlap. I doubt you would like it if they overlapped. You will not be losing anything by taking the lowest frequencies out of the L300's. The B460 can handle those very well all by itself. Besides, being free of the lowest frequencies, the L300's will more cleanly reproduce the upper bass and lower midrange.

The one thing that has changed since the day of the B460 is that JBL now considers it better to use multiple subwoofers rather than just one, but you could try one first and see if you get the performance you want that way, and add another later.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Honestly, if you really want to get a wee bit more out of your L300's then just tune them down to 25 to 26 Hz, apply the BX63 with the high pass defeated and enjoy your newly created QB6 alignment.
    * Especially in larger rooms where the room gain starts lower and the overall room response is more uniform.
    what is QB6 ..

Thank you for these details,
    I'm just curious but also interested in understanding the mechanism of sound reproduction without going into technical details that I do not understand.
    A user point of view seems more relevant to me !
    My room is 5X8x3H meters

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The one thing that has changed since the day of the B460, is that JBL now considers it better to use multiple subwoofers rather than just one, but you could try one first and see if you get the performance you want that way, and add another later.
    thank you for informations, also i have the possibility to pickup new B460 with new reform for €1700 and i dont now if it is a good price for 2009 ..
    it is also possible that one day I do the 5.1 and the B460 will be interesting for me but it would require a THX filter now to move in that direction (with a quality at least equal to what I currently) .. it's just a question

Quote Originally Posted by mm54 View Post
    what is QB6 ..

Thank you for these details,
    I'm just curious but also interested in understanding the mechanism of sound reproduction without going into technical details that I do not understand.
    A user point of view seems more relevant to me !
    My room is 5X8x3H meters
    AT some point, grasshopper, you need to read and think and ask thoughtful questions ...

As I used to tell the marketing types at the TV studio I worked at, years back:

"I wish I could change the laws of physics just for you, but ..."

Basically, either you get it, or you study more until you DO get it ...

But how will you understand if you chase the teacher away??
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi Hjames , I think you're right
    I just want to say that I can not take a degree of sound engineer to listen music
    some of you have years of experience and I find it easier to understand by taking the users views like you rather than trying to read books that I do not realy understand, I have trouble deciphering some posts and there is insufficient time for me ..
    again thank you to all members who take the trouble to answer questions that should be easy and repetitive ..I hope my english is not to bad.. it is important for me to listen your comments, I appreciate your help

Hi Hjames , I think you're right
    I just want to say that I can not take a degree of sound engineer to listen music
    some of you have years of experience and I find it easier to understand by taking the users views like you rather than trying to read books that I do not realy understand, I have trouble deciphering some posts and there is insufficient time for me ..
    again thank you to all members who take the trouble to answer questions that should be easy and repetitive ..I hope my english is not to bad.. it is important for me to listen your comments, I appreciate your help
    I have no advanced degree, but I spent nearly 20 years doing AV engineering work
    around TV and cable tv systems ... before I got into web development ...
    but I am not a design level engineer like 4313B or the JBL folks ...
    so, I read A LOT here, and ask questions, and sometimes ask the louder ones
    to explain things when I don't get them -
    and sometimes I just let them talk and I listen, because I figure I won't get EVERYTHING,
    but if I get a big part of it, thats all I really need.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

i am looking for a Bx63A ..
    Name:  mm54_JBL_BX63A.jpg
Views: 4253
Size:  33.0 KB
    picture from jarrods thread2187

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post

B460

Keele designed the BX63 way back when he was working at JBL (After leaving EV. He's now at Harman-Becker along with Richard H. Small of Thiele-Small fame).

Don't let the title of the AES papers throw you with respect to the B380 and B460, they are quasi-third order alignments as are most high performance JBL loudspeaker systems due to their low Q transducers. Addition of the BX63 makes them quasi-fifth order. If you understand the concepts it all makes sense. One can choose to use the BX63 or not depending on boundary reinforcement in any given room.
    thank you 4313B , I just begin to understand

Does anyone have an idea what a b460 in fair condition is worth today?

the same question 01-20-2005, 05:09 PM
    and the reply from Zilch thread4403 :
    If I'm sellin':

Poor = $200, maybe
    Fair = $300
    Good = $500
    Excellent = $750
    Mint = $1000

If I'm buyin':

"What'd you PAY for that worthless piece of crap? Didya get the crossover thingy with it? No WAY anybody's gonna pay to SHIP that obsolete beast anywhere...."

If you have to ask, chances are you can't afford one!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If you have to ask, chances are you can't afford one!
    People have thrown that answer at me for many years. It just ain't true. And always a little patronizing!

I asked a customer many decades ago what she was asking for her even-then vintage BMW car (3.0CS) I'd seen an ad for. Her reply was a bit more acerbic: "More than you can afford." I forced myself not to reply with the first thing that came into my mind. After all, it was in our store and she was a customer with other cars from us.

It didn't surprise me when I heard within a year that her husband had committed suicide. Pleasant woman.

But, to try to answer the question, I've watched B460s go for as little as $350 in need of surrounds and cabinetry work and without the BX63, to asking nearly ten-times that, as seen here: http://www.katzassaudio.com/speakers.html. And I seem to recall occasions here where several have dropped their jaws in reaction to what a BX63 brought on Ebay all by itself!

So the answer may not be "if you have to ask, you can't afford one" but more like "what are you willing to pay and how long are you willing to wait"? I got tired of looking for a deal on what I wanted and just figured, "screw it, I'm gonna enjoy what I want while I still can."

I hope you find what you're looking for.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    So the answer may not be "if you have to ask, you can't afford one" but more like "what are you willing to pay and how long are you willing to wait"? I got tired of looking for a deal on what I wanted and just figured, "screw it, I'm gonna enjoy what I want while I still can."
    I hope you find what you're looking for.
    there are philosophers on the forum and I am happy to this answer!
    I say what I think

http://www.katzassaudio.com/speakers.html I have already consulted the link but I want from France or Germany (shipping cost)

Hello mm54

Build your own we have the plans. Get a 2245 basket get a fresh recone and if you can score a BX-63/63A so much the better. That way you end up with essentially a new sub.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

there are philosophers on the forum and I am happy to this answer!
    I say what I think

http://www.katzassaudio.com/speakers.html I have already consulted the link but I want from France or Germany (shipping cost)
    Yes, but he has a matched pair!

Thread Information