Thread: Glee Cast beats Beatles as Top Billboard act - AutoTuned "Talent"

Glee Cast beats Beatles as Top Billboard act - AutoTuned "Talent"

Don't know if you watched this show on the FOX Network - we tried to watch it twice - great choice of songs for the each show's theme, but when the kids open their mouths to sing and you can hear the Autotune kick in and pull them on-tune - well, that turns us off and we have to fast-forward through the songs! There's are a LOT of "singing" in every show.

Synthetic voices were cool in Switched-On Bach, and with Cher,'s Believe or even Timberlake's stuff where its used purely as an effect. In those performances they don't pretend its real - but with autotune you can't tell if these these kids even have any serious musical talent behind the cyber-sounds ... its just sad.

And this morning I read this AP release:

The Associated Press
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010; 9:25 PM

NEW YORK -- The "Glee" cast has surpassed the Beatles for the most appearances on the Billboard Hot 100 chart by a non-solo act.

The cast of the Fox television musical series about a high school glee club has six debuts on the chart this week. That gives it a total of 75 songs on the chart to the Beatles' 71.
    The show's soundtrack got a boost after this week's episode featuring the music of Britney Spears.

Elvis Presley still leads overall with 108 songs to chart on the Hot 100. He's followed by James Brown with 91, then "Glee."

The Beatles are sixth, behind Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin. Elton John, Lil Wayne, Stevie Wonder and Jay-Z round out the Top 10.

Nielsen SoundScan says the "Glee" cast has sold 2.8 million albums and 11.5 million downloads.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Well I guess the above pretty much says it all.

h

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    The Beatles are sixth, behind Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin. Elton John, Lil Wayne, Stevie Wonder and Jay-Z round out the Top 10.
    of course....a great gauge of quality....we listen to lots 'mo Lil Paine than them old Fab Fo'....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Synthetic voices were cool in Switched-On Bach, and with Cher,'s Believe or even Timberlake's stuff where its used purely as an effect.
    Non of this stuff was ever cool, at least not to me.

I had never heard of "auto tuning" until HJ brought it up , tho I wondered why POP & country sound so annoying these days ....it all sounds the same , no dynamics ...just YUKKY

then I read abt the miracle of auto tuning ....what garbage ....mebbe thats why I dont listen to much after the mid 90's ..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information