Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country Rock

Country Rock

Given the average age of the membership here, I think I am not alone in my fondness for Country Rock. I think it needs its own thread.

So who do you like? This list from Wiki is a good place to start. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ry_rock_albums

I think this is some of the best popular music ever recorded. I will give a call out to Chris Hillman and his bands, Gene Clark, Poco and Pure Prairie League to start. But that list all sounds pretty good to me from top to bottom, from Dylan to Neko Case.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I think Steve Earl is THE MAN.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I think Steve Earl is THE MAN.
    I was lucky enough to see him open for Bob Dylan at the Peoria Civic Center once. I understand he has had a lot of problems since then, I hope he is alright.

He has put himself through a lot it's true. All those problems fueled some great music. I believe he has been doing well for about the last decade. The scope of my music appreciation is pretty wide but Steve has been my desert island artist for 25 years.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

a relatively recent Pandora find, he has his own station now

Does Southern rock fit in this catogory?

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    a relatively recent Pandora find, he has his own statin now

Mark
    I dunno, once you open the door to them, swamp rock is next ...
    then Leon Russell shows up, and its all gone to the weeds after that!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Oh No !!!

I DO like some of Leon's offerings* .... as well as Linda's and The Eagles and CCR and Fogerty. (even The Soggy Bottom Boys)

*esp: Back to the Island
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    a relatively recent Pandora find, he has his own station now

Mark
    Well, not to my ears. The Wiki list is pretty good, but not inclusive. I would put Desert Rose Band squarely in there, but they are not on the list. Some would consider them Country Pop, but what Country artists besides Willie Nelson, or Ricky Skaggs and Alison Krause (ie Bluegrass artists), and a few others are not Country Pop these days? There may be some bands who are considered Country Rock just because they employed a pedal steel; that ain't necessarily so.

Compare The Outlaws and 38 Special to the first Eagles album, and the gulf between Southern Rock and Country Rock becomes obvious. I can see how Neil Young's Tonight's The Night is and Zuma is not. Not all this is as obvious as his Harvest and Comes A Time, but a pattern does emerge. Pure Prairie League does sometimes remind one of Bread, but the latter has no Country and is 100% Pop. America (the group) is an example of probably not, but I wouldn't argue either way. I think the problem arises when one is not quite familiar with pure Country - if there is such a thing. Country has been so Pop for so long that most listeners confuse the two.

Another good example would be The Grateful Dead. Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are very different from the rest of their canon, and the difference is lots of Country influence.

Hope this helps.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

I knew there was a reason I still visited this website. That's just plain hillarious.

I do like a few Leon tunes though.

Poco... I listen to the Legend album probably once a month. I just like that stuff! Never cared for Dylan or CCR. I grew up loathing Neil Young's work but have done a complete one eighty with respect to him. The Eagles are rediculously overtalented. No band deserves to be loaded with that much skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I think the problem arises when one is not quite familiar with pure Country - if there is such a thing. Country has been so Pop for so long that most listeners confuse the two.
    I grew up with the real deal. I stopped listening to it all when I discovered that there were other stations on the radio besides country once I got my own transistor radio that I could tune myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The Eagles are rediculously overtalented. No band deserves to be loaded with that much skill.

The band began to form when Linda Ronstadt and then-manager John Boylan recruited session musicians Glenn Frey and Don Henley in the spring of 1971.[3] Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon would join her group of performers by the summer tour.[3] The original Eagles would play only once together as a live unit backing Ronstadt (for a July concert at Disneyland),[3] but all four appeared on her eponymous 1971 album.[4] After their tenure with Ronstadt and with her encouragement, they decided to form their own band, signing with Asylum Records

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_eagles

I watched the concert DVD - Live from Melbourne ....and their song "Hole in the World" (re:911) was very touching.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B
    I grew up with the real deal. I stopped listening to it all when I discovered that there were other stations on the radio besides country once I got my own transistor radio that I could tune myself
    My story to a "T", except there were not any other stations but more country.... we got BOTH kinds of music-country AND western! One AM pop station until 1976 when Amarillo College started FM90. Let there be rock...at least through high school.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The Eagles are rediculously overtalented. No band deserves to be loaded with that much skill.
    Oh, like Buffalo Springfield? Any time Young and Stills share a band they out talent almost anybody else. Add Furray (founder & leader of Poco of course) and it gets into beyond.

I like the first Eagles lineup the best, and their album. A desert island pick for sure.

Oh, like Buffalo Springfield? Any time Young and Stills share a band they out talent almost anybody else. Add Furray (founder & leader of Poco of course) and it gets into beyond.

I like the first Eagles lineup the best, and their album. A desert island pick for sure.
    Agreed ... have been on a Stills collecting binge ...especially like it when he lets go and gets out of the mold (Spanish Suite) ....tho he and Neil are better sampled in short sessions.

I've heard most Eagles recordings (including the excellent "Live from Melborne") and just can't hear the personnel changes , tho Timothy is distinctive.

great thread, and not off in the weeds yet.

Buffalo Springfield was the first band that came to mind for me but I wonder about that wiki list starting with 1966. That is about the time that the folkies and traditional influences were transitioning into electric and rock ....but... there was a guy in Texas named Charles Hardin Holly who had country influences and he definitely rocked. Rave On!
    Fosgate Signature Tube Phono Pre/Rega P9/Benz Wood/McIntosh MC 2205/JBL 4430

Oh, like Buffalo Springfield? Any time Young and Stills share a band they out talent almost anybody else.
    Buffalo Springfield was one of my favorites growing up. As Seawolf knows, I'm a huge Steve Stills fan. I've taken my one-daughter-of-three that shares my taste in music to see CSN live. But our nickname for Young around here is "The Whiner". Now Crosby, who still has his voice, unlike Stills, is (IMHO) far more talented than Young. Go to early Byrds and Jeff Airplane to confirm his songwriting skill. An all-time favorite album of mine (as well as many critics) is Crosby's "If Only I Could Remember My Name" which is really a snapshot of everyone active in the music biz in the Bay Area back then. A great album, for anyone not familiar with it already and way ahead of its time.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information