Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom Danley mods for Altec VOT A7?

I hadn't read this thread until just now... it would seem to be rife with confusion, misinformation, and speculation. If you really want to know what suggestions Tom Danley has made regarding A7 mods why not ask him?

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

If the goal is to get the best out of your A7s, probably a better tack would be to follow some of the threads on Todd White's Board where the real Altec experts live.

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/altec-users-board/

Widget

mcds
    Mr. Widget, thanks for taking the time to respond. My friend merlin speaks highly of you.

Somewhere on his website, Tom says he's unable to answer questions like mine. I still paged him on AA but he either didn't see it or chose not to respond. Fair enough, I'm sure he has more pressing needs to address than questions from complete strangers.

I'm a member of the Altec board and posted the same question there. Unfortunately, noone had more than I've posted here, either.

What specifically attracted my interest is the comment about phase.

Zilch, with all due respect, I'd rather use a 2405 on top rather than extend the FR of the hf driver. But thanks very much for the diyaudio links, I had not been aware that TD posted there and have started reading up on his old posts there.

Hello mcds,

What specifically attracted my interest is the comment about phase.
    - I concur with Widgets' advice for you to find a way to contact Tom Danley to obtain some clarification about his past comments about phase distortions ( re ; his A7 mods ) .

- I fear you may have read too much into something Tom D. said which might have been just an "off-hand" comment relating more to the superior UHF performance of the newer generation of drivers ( & not at all related to phase issues within the crossover area ) .

- For instance ; One result of using drivers with extended HF performance is the need for less radical HF (EQ ) contouring ( to flatten the HF response ) . Less HF EQ applied results in smaller phase changes within the HF region ( this might be what he was referring to ) .

>< cheers

The larger Danley designs use Faital HF drivers. At least the SH95 does.

Quote Originally Posted by rlsound View Post
    The larger Danley designs use Faital HF drivers. At least the SH95 does.
    Here is the site... had to check it out as I had not heard of them before.

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/hf.php

Widget

mcds
    Hi Earl,

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

- I concur with Widgets' advice for you to find a way to contact Tom Danley to obtain some clarification about his past comments about phase distortions ( re ; his A7 mods ) .
    Agreed, but unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this.
    - I fear you may have read too much into something Tom D. said which might have been just an "off-hand" comment
    Entirely possible.

- For instance ; One result of using drivers with extended HF performance is the need for less radical HF (EQ ) contouring ( to flatten the HF response ) . Less HF EQ applied results in smaller phase changes within the HF region ( this might be what he was referring to ).
    The stock Altec crossover (N501) doesn't use HF contouring, it's a text book symmetrical 12 dB/octave design.

Maybe I really am reading too much into this.

Markus

I would pm cyclotronman (Kent) who has extensive expierience with modifying Altec systems.

Earl also has good handle on this stuff.

Years ago I read an article by Triode System who as I recall who did modifications to these types of systems.

Steve Schell would be another member to contact.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I would pm cyclotronman (Kent)...
    It's Cyclotronguy.

Widget

Thread Information