Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4311 Wx

Mark Mills

Jbl 4311 Wx

Can anyone tell me the differences between the 4311 "A". "B" & "WX" series speakers?

I have a pair of the WX series serial # 14192 &14195 and am curious. I've haven't seen any mention of them on the JBL Pro vintage site or anywhere else. Thanks!

Obsolete
    WX just means oiled walnut

Mark Mills

4311 WX

I have found out that the "WX" has more info in it than just the "WX" meaning Walnut finish. As they don't have "A" or "B" after the "WX" in the serial number they are orginal 4311s with the rare Alnico V Magnets.

Rare?

The ferrite 4311s are called 4311B. I am not sure but I am fairly confident that there were many more alnico 4311s produced than ferrite 4311Bs.

Mark Mills

4311WX

Rare? I'll stick by that.

The post was not about As or Bs. It was originally about 4311s serialized with a WX suffex only and determining what generation of speaker they were.

First genration 4311s came out in 1979 as I recall and were only manufatured for 1 year. The A & B series are engineering rev levels of the product that would have been added to the serial number i.e. WXA for oiled walnut rev "A". Baffle and component changes were involved in th e A & B series.

Still seem rather rare & desireable to me...Only an opinion however.

Obsolete

Re: 4311WX

4311WX means Oiled Walnut finish.

4311 without the WX means Studio Gray.

4311's with alnico magnets are a dime a dozen, at least they used to be. I'm sure many have made their way to the dumpster by now.

The 4311 was last manufactured in 1978. My Pro price lists only go back to 1977 but it's there on the 1977 price list. It also shows up in the 1974 Pro catalog.

You can view the revision history here:
    http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sys...r%20Series.pdf

Looking at that one can see the 4310 was last manufactured in 1973, so the 4311 must have come out in 1974.

It always ran a ferrite HF. Like Mr. Widget stated, MF and LF remained alnico until the B revision.

Shameless Promote

Mr. Mills, your multiple Forum efforts in shamelessly promoting your eBay auction are real lame. You are a trying to mislead the unknowing.

You wasted the time of two of the most knowledgable on this forum, and should be banished to a soundless sound-proofed room!

Just my opinion.

Last edited by boputnam; 06-05-2003 at 05:54 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

4311 Introduction TimeLine

Hi All

As RobG stated, the 4311 was introduced in 1973/4 .
    • I have a JBL "Pro-Note" ( Volume 1, Issue 7, published - July 1973 ) that intros the 4311 on page 4 . It states that this successor (4311) for the 4310 "is due for production in August 1973" . It also states that "the 4310 will continue to be available until, at least, November 1973" .
    • The same ( July ) Pro-Note mentions that the 4350 is "now shipping" after months of field testing . The previous Pro-Note ( January 1973 ) announced the existence of 4350 prototypes that were already in field tests with "well known studios in our area" .

regards <. Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 06-05-2003 at 11:21 AM.

Obsolete

Re: 4311 Introduction TimeLine

Thanks for the info Earl!

That's pretty definitive

Smile

I am close to picking up a pair of 4311B - WX by the way...

How can tell from the serial no. 6605 the production year?

What you think about this crossover modification - any good? http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

This is great site - made of real people and opinions.
    Last edited by Martin_Cph_DK; 02-06-2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_Cph_DK View Post
    What you think about this crossover modification - any good? http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm
    That appears to be a very serious attempt to "improve" and modernize the venerable L100. There is nothing "Quick and Dirty" about it.

I am sure that the sound of the "improved" L100 is more neutral and closer to what we might seek in a more modern design. However, due to inherent limitations in the drivers themselves, I wouldn't spend the money on trying to make this an "almost new speaker"... If you want an accurate monitor with better imaging, lower distortion, and a more neutral sound, I'd suggest you look elsewhere. If you want a piece of history and want to relive your youth, then pick up a pair of L100s and relive the '70s warts and all.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There is nothing "Quick and Dirty" about it.

If you want a piece of history and want to relive your youth, then pick up a pair of L100s and relive the '70s warts and all.

Widget
    I agree with you... I'm love with the "JBL-sound" and the foot-taping-effect. But will I also be able to keep the sometimes analytical approach?

The L100 Century's that I have been recommended comes with original x-over and low freq-drivers but is however altered by using the 104h midrange and the le26 radiator.

Is that as cruel?

Many thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    so the 4311 must have come out in 1974.

I wish I could find my receipt, I know its somewhere in a box.
    I bought my 4311WX serial numbers 11644 and 11645 while stationed in West Germany
    in 1974 at the PX in Kaiserslautern.

After 20 years of not using them, I just soldered two speakers and got them
    working again, and listening to Jethro Tull mp3 of Benefit is SOOOOOOOO
    great !!!!!!!!!!! Such joy after so many years gone by. So happy for YOU TUbe and
    leaning how to fix busted speakers !!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to order a 60 dollar 240 watt pro amp named pyle 2 channel and I saw
    the Peak, rather then RMS meant it was really much lower in watts and that the
    Freq response was only 20-20K, and I do not think this would be good for my speakers.

What is the optimum requirements and any suggestions as it would have to be used and cheap to buy.

I see on craigslist Onkyo TX840 60 watts per channel 8 ohm for 40 bucks..........do I need 100 watts per ch ?????

Thanks for help

amp

I just found out today that my speakers like 75 watts to run ok. My radio shack amp says
    100 watts so I figured 50 would be fine. Turns out instead of being just a two channel, it has other speakers so that im only getting 7 watts per channel. I stopped using it as my
    40 watt marantz 2245 was what blew my speakers from underpower to begin with.

Im looking at amps and its really bad how all this MONO Bridge crap is coming up, or they are rating them for 4 ohms and what they say is a 240 watt amp ends up really being
    25 watts instead at 8 ohms.

So please tell me what my best bet is for using these without ruining them again?

150 watts RMS, two channel only, I would think would be my best bet........

Do I look for old kenmore or sansui or go to guitar center and look for used live dj amps,
    as I dont need a radio, I just want to power my speakers and have one 1/8" input jack.

The PYLE amps were so bad in their rating system, but the price was nice.

Thanks for help

Quote Originally Posted by ctguy1955 View Post
    I just found out today that my speakers like 75 watts to run ok. My radio shack amp says
    100 watts so I figured 50 would be fine. Turns out instead of being just a two channel, it has other speakers so that im only getting 7 watts per channel. I stopped using it as my
    40 watt marantz 2245 was what blew my speakers from underpower to begin with.

Im looking at amps and its really bad how all this MONO Bridge crap is coming up, or they are rating them for 4 ohms and what they say is a 240 watt amp ends up really being
    25 watts instead at 8 ohms.

So please tell me what my best bet is for using these without ruining them again?

150 watts RMS, two channel only, I would think would be my best bet........

Do I look for old kenmore or sansui or go to guitar center and look for used live dj amps,
    as I dont need a radio, I just want to power my speakers and have one 1/8" input jack.

The PYLE amps were so bad in their rating system, but the price was nice.

Thanks for help
    I think the real questions is an economic issue - figure how much you want to spend, then see what falls in your price range. I and other folks have done well checking local ads for 100-150w/ch pro amps like Crown or JBL/UREI. If you get one in physically good shape, with few dents or scratches, it probably hasn't been beaten to death on the road. Bring some CDs along and have the seller demo it and see if it sounds clean.
    Some of the Adcom amps are also solid performers.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information