Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Music...Do you prefer JBL's or other speakers?

Classical Music...Do you prefer JBL's or other speakers?

I have never liked how any of my JBL's reproduce classical music, especially strings. However, all of my JBL' s tend to be the older studio monitor series: L100, 4315, 4411, 4430. They sound as they were designed to sound...through the studio window as opposed to concert hall in your living room.
    I am a great believer that speakers designed for home acoustics sound better in the home, so perhaps JBL's designed for home use fair better in this regard. For classical stringed instruments I find speakers that disperse sound in a more omni directional field provide a fuller sound stage flattering to this type of music.
    For that reason I prefer my Castle Winchester's over my JBL's for symphonic works.
    They do not at all produce rock, popular music or anything with a rhythm section nearly as well as the JBL's.
    But, I find the the Castle Winchester's sound good on natural acoustic instruments.
    Curious if other Classical listeners feel the same way and if you prefer other designs or makes of speakers.

The Castles are basically a 2way design with a third driver pointing directly upward. Low end is derived from a variation of folded horn style tuning referred to as 'quarter plank' and fires out of a fair size mouth at the bottom rear of the speaker. This speaker has excellent 35Hz response--a bit of a waste for Classical with the exception of pipe organ.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Beautiful

now that you asked..I do prefer the Walsh F's on classical and anything with acoustic guitar or piano
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Beautiful

now that you asked..I do prefer the Walsh F's on classical and anything with acoustic guitar or piano
    I'm still not sure I want a pair of nice wood-finish Daleks in my living room ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I have never liked how any of my JBL's reproduce classical music
    Yeah me neither.

Over half of my listening is classical and I still use my L100Ts which were purchased new in 1986. I updated with T3 networks a couple of years ago and like others have said, this improved clarity increased detail. But like you, I also like the "fuller sound stage" for orchestral works. For that, I still use my vinty Yamaha DSP1 to provide that ambience using L20Ts as processing speakers with an Outlaw 990 prepo and their 7 channel 200wpc amp. The key for my satisfaction with this old sound processor has always been that the volume level must never reach the point where the effects from the L20Ts transition from subtle to obvious. If I can hear them separately, the sound is totally unnatural and it defeats their purpose. For that reason, I do not care for Dolby Logic IIx music, as it does not sound natural. But I also listen and enjoy two channel, but the "full sound stage" of a large concert hall is my favorite. The listening variety helps keep my ears from getting tired with several recordings I have heard hundreds of times. No problem with strings on the L100T/3s either; violin concertos are among my very favorite.

The best orchestral sound I've heard is from the Performance Series, fully deployed. The clarity, richness, and fullness is wonderful.

Luckily I can compare lots of venues: LA's music center halls (Taper, Chandler, etc.), the Greek Theatre, the Ahmanson, the Long Beach Civic, the Kodak, the Nokia, Hollywood Bowl, Cerritos Center since I go to A LOT of live performances each year. The Performance Series reproduces those experiences more faithfully than anything else I've got or heard.

I heartily agree with J. Gordon Holt's 2002 statement:

I listen to very little amplified music because I prefer the sounds of acoustical instruments, and I get to hear a live orchestra once or twice a month, so I'm as picky about realism as any reviewer. Because realism is one of the Performance's strongest suits, someone who hears live music rarely probably won't share my enthusiasm about the system, but if you're interested in realistic reproduction, you'll love what these do—with size, for instance.

Size—the apparent dimension(s) of reproduced sounds—is a quality that's completely ignored in most reviews because it's relevant only to acoustical instruments and other real-life noisemakers. Every brass instrument, for example, ends in a flared bell that gives it that horn sound—variously described as an awk or an ah or an a (as in at) vowel coloration, depending on the size of the bell. The same is true of other instruments: A viola sounds bigger than a fiddle and a cello sounds bigger than a viola because, each being bigger in actuality, its wooden sound box resonates at a lower frequency. If a system makes instruments sound the wrong size, it bothers listeners who know what they should sound like. Correct size is important for home theater because so many of the sound effects used in films are intimately familiar to all of us. If a Mercedes door-slam sounds like a Renault, or a Sherman tank sounds like a bulldozer, it elicits a "Huh?" response that can undermine our involvement with the film. Not many speaker systems do size right; the JBL Performance did it much better than most.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Beautiful

I've always wondered what the operating principle of those speakers were.
    Can you explain how they work or refer me to a link?
    THX

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I've always wondered what the operating principle of those speakers were.
    Can you explain how they work or refer me to a link?
    THX
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&postcount=133

When I listen to amplified music sources - I love Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Santana and Chicago Blues for instance - big JBL's are just fine. But I mostly listen to acoustic music, and a much more intimate experience is called for. Jazz combos above all, but acoustic guitar, string quartets and string orchestras, American, European, Oriental and African modern acoustic music, and much more. Then I prefer speakers that locate sound in space very precisely, and coherence is also a must for that spatial reality that is "right sizing" and convincing source location. Timbre must also be "right". The 4345's make me feel like Santana is in the room, but they will never cut it with acoustic music. Systems with multiple drivers and big enclosures trying to mimic sound fields are just not good at these program sources. At one time I thought they were fine but then I heard it done much, much better.

My two weapons of choice are the Hammer Dynamics 12" single driver augmented speakers and my Stax electrostatic headphones.

Amps matter too. There is a reason why small, high quality tube amps are legendary for their soundstages, imaging and spatial realism.

To each his own, but I like to think I outgrew big "classical" orchestras a long time ago. (I loved them when I was a kid.) For me bombastic rather than intimate, they no longer resonate with me. If I did still go for them, locating all those instruments precisely in space would be quite a challenge and my hat is off to any speaker that does that well. Those Castles look very interesting, and I wonder if big horn systems might excel at the task as well. Perhaps Tannoy Churchills might also fill the bill. Expensive stuff all. The Performance Series must have been a bargain after all.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

Amps matter too. There is a reason why small, high quality tube amps are legendary for their soundstages, imaging and spatial realism.
    What is that reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    To each his own, but I like to think I outgrew big "classical" orchestras a long time ago. (I loved them when I was a kid.) For me bombastic rather than intimate, they no longer resonate with me.

Clark
    Yes, exactly, to each his or her own, but your terminology seems either condescending or arrogant. I'm not sure which; maybe both? Probably not your intent.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    I would listen to classical music only on modified JBL control 5 and control 1 and 4645 because that is all I have LOL to listen on.

Twice the speed of sound 3,000! That’s a rather impressive Ohm speaker Tom. Don’t you use them as surrounds and the JBLTi is it 250i for the fronts?

Every time I look at those OHMS I keep thinking your doing some road surface repairs to the living room?

Come on Dome you can’t fool us we know what your listening too?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'm still not sure I want a pair of nice wood-finish Daleks in my living room ...

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I would listen to classical music only on modified JBL control 5 and control 1 and 4645 because that is all I have LOL to listen on.

Twice the speed of sound 3,000! That’s a rather impressive Ohm speaker Tom. Don’t you use them as surrounds and the JBLTi is it 250i for the fronts?

Come on Dome you can’t fool us we know what your listening too?
    I haven't tried any classical music down in the HT yet. However I did beef up the Performance Series MCH music system on the main floor by adding a second HTPS400 and changing crossover frequencies and trim levels on three channels. There's something about the purity of sound in that system that makes it very, very musical.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I haven't tried any classical music down in the HT yet. However I did beef up the Performance Series MCH music system on the main floor by adding a second HTPS400 and changing crossover frequencies and trim levels on three channels. There's something about the purity of sound in that system that makes it very, very musical.
    Oh, so let’s see if I have this right? One room for movies and one room for music only?

Also I thought it was capable of a music feature mode or is that on the next few models up from the ones you have? I have broacher of the Synthesis Two® that uses nice horn located in the middle and two 6” bass mid located top and bottom with a smaller 5” mid range and 1” titanium dome.

Dome,

When I upgraded the networks in the L100Ts to the T3 equivalents, it refined the sound with much more detail and clarity. Upgrading from a NAD 1600/2400 to the Outlaw 990/7700 further enhanced the detail.
    I'm the first to admit that I am not blessed with audiophile grade eardrums but at least I could discern many more subtle instrumental parts far more clearly after these upgrades. You are correct that purity of sound makes music very special. I've oftened wondered if I had the ear of a maestro, could I ever appreciate reproduced sound?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    One room for movies and one room for music only?.
    thats what I do also .... and you wudnt joke abt the Walsh's if you heard them. read the review in my link. They'll blow a bunch of little plastic boxes right out of the room , and do the same for many larger systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The 4345's make me feel like Santana is in the room, but they will never cut it with acoustic music. Systems with multiple drivers and big enclosures trying to mimic sound fields are just not good at these program sources. At one time I thought they were fine but then I heard it done much, much better.
    Clark
    mebbe thats what I like abt the Walsh sound ....1 coherent driver..no crossover

Thread Information