Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet More Capacitors

This usually happens to me...

Typically it is more of a well, it's different. Of course I am not talking about 50 cent NPEs.

Widget

I, also, have purchased expensive caps, and they do sound different.

But better? Havent found the " one " that makes me say, yeah, baby, either.

JohnH
    I switched out a Solen 20uf cap on my 2441s with a Sonicap of the same value. I would say that the difference was definitely an improvement. The character of the change was pretty much as advertised.

I also replaced a 1uf Relcap on my horn tweeter with a 1uf Audiocap Theta. Another definite improvement. With the Relcap, nothing coming out of the tweeter was intelligible. Garbage out. The Theta changed all that.
    Last edited by JohnH; 10-13-2004 at 04:24 PM.

Sounds like a Capital idea..lol

Ian

SoniCap

,,, the Sonicaps. The whole point of using them is to get away from metallized dielectrics. A top quality film and foil bypass maybe, but a metallized polypropylene?
    I do agree with those sentiments , - though isn't the actual makeup of the SoniCap still a mystery ?

I, also, have purchased expensive caps, and they do sound different.
    I'm still fooling around with surplus stuff. In the last 14 months of effort , I've foundout some neat stuff - though not very useful to this forum since most of these caps are n/a.

That said imho you need a reasonable good main capacitor to start with.
    I agree with that to a point as long as "good" isn't misconstrued as meaning "expensive" .

<> EarlK

I have given this some thought and logically if the tweeter gives us the most sense of space and detail and it uses the smallest value (least expensive) then buy the best you can get.

The horn/mid can then be average / good quality bypassed with small 0.1 +0.01 high quality bypass.

ie UHF 1.00/1.5 buy Theta audio cap, bypass with 0.01 if needed.

Horn 6.00-12.00 Sonicap and bypass with Theta 0.01

Midrange 20-80 uf Solen or North Creek or Axon, bypass with 0.1 Theta and 0.01 Theta

My point here is spread the funds according area of importance rather than a linear spread based on value and brand.

Most of the fine resolution seems to me at least to come from the highs so why compromise when the small values are say about $10-12 each. It appears from our links you can improve the performance and transparency of larger values used by the horns/midrange by cascading mylar or metalised PPM with small high quality value bypass caps

My point here is spread the funds according area of importance rather than a linear spread based on value and brand.
    - Yeh, that makes a lot of sense .

For instance;

I don't use DC blocking caps on my compression drivers. The 2 cap types that "I hear " the most are : some Siemens .022 (or twin DC- biased .043 ) uf Polystyrene "Passive Line Level High-Pass" caps , and the cap found in my series RC filter which acts as a MidRange suppression / HF boost . This single cap (@ 3 uf ) technically crosses in around 6625 hz but still has an audible ( nuanced ) effect down to about an octave below that crossover point. I find spectral changes in these upper harmonics will completely dominate the overall presentation and voicing of my 2 way system.

This ability of one 3uf capacitor to drive the final voicing of a system contines to surprise me .

<. Earl K
    Ê
    Last edited by Earl K; 10-14-2004 at 11:17 AM.

caps

hello

have you seen this link :http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...=&pagenumber=4

and the page before ....

Just a question : It seems in Usa people do not speak so much about mundorf supreme silver oil.

It seems also it is the very best of the caps .... even if expensive nobody says it is bad , in all forums they say the sound really improve ....

Well I do not knwo so much about it but it seems if I want the Best of it I have to go to mundorf ....

Gerard

Smile

Hi Gerard

Thanks for the link to that thread over in the diyAudio forum - it was an interesting banter of sorts .

As it happens, the polypropylene film & foil bypass caps that I use are made by F-DYNE . MY old surplus F-Dynes' are a PPA model that doesn't show up on that web site ( which is pretty limited in scope ). Additionally, a lot of my Polystyrene caps are from Seimens .

You're right, there's not much talk about Mundorf in these circles. With only one vendor selling their product here in North America, their profile is quite low in the audiophile cap community . They are available from "Mundrof Parts" at E-Speakers. E-Speakers prices for these caps seem to be quite "ballpark" when compared to similar products such as "AudioNotes" from Parts Connexion .

These types of "Paper In Oil" caps are out of my price range .

<. Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 10-15-2004 at 07:02 AM.

Obsolete
    Wow! 10 uF for $95...

There's a point where one simply says "Screw this bullshit!" and goes active.

Ok

As far as I know in 4 weeks looking for xover parts , you really need good caps for medium and tweeter range which is low value caps .

compare the price .

Audiocap which is considered top of the line ? ( I may buy those to upgrade my xover )

audiocap ppt 0.47 uf 10.00 $
    audiocap ppt 0.33 uf 8.00 $

Mundorf silver oil
    supreme silver oil 0.47 uf 19.76 euro
    supreme silver oil 0.33 uf 18.36 euro

if you need 4 of them you will spend : 36.00 $ or 76.00 ero ( 90.00 $ ) .

If really mundorf is so good and you only need few caps , difference is not so much specially if you leave in the Usa and you have Jbl systems ( you must have a lot of money but do not know how to spend it .. )

Gerard

Obsolete
    Using the supreme silver oil for HF passives could be real cool while switching to active in the systems where larger value passive components would go.
    Last edited by 4313B; 10-16-2004 at 12:32 AM.

Well Giskard

I am a french from Paris living in Casablanca ; You know sometimes french people says things that other do not really understand the way it should be and sometimes they do not understand themselves ...

Just if you compare Morocco to Usa we leave in a different world ...

I still believe spending 100.00 $ more to have the "best caps ever " I am not saying it I just read it can be done .

I also still believe after reading documents audiocap should be as good as mundorf but never try .

Best regards

Gerard

Obsolete
    Here's something fun:

Cost to replace stock capacitors with Mundorf Supreme Silver & Oil capacitors in a pair of JBL Model 4345 Studio Monitors.

UHF
    $30.87 1.0 uF
    $35.16 1.5 uF

$132.06 a pair

HF
    $78.48 8.0 uF
    $61.77 6.0 uF
    $61.77 6.0 uF
    $47.07 3.0 uF

$498.18 a pair

MH
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $69.78 7.0 uF
    $69.78 7.0 uF

$1407.36 a pair

LF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF
    $94.02 10.0 uF

$2068.44 a pair

$4,106.04 a pair total for capacitors
    Last edited by 4313B; 10-16-2004 at 12:33 AM.

Using the supreme silver oil for HF passives could be real cool while switching to active in the systems where larger value passive components would go.

What I find most interesting about the stated "winding topology" for the upper end of Mundorfs' cap offerings is this: They are in effect a "tip of the hat" towards the clever use of "end to end series" caps ( as in "Charge Coupled" ) but with stated effect that the "interleaving" of the 2 windings, reduces ESR effects , & resonances, etc. .

NOW:
    Rubicons' BlackGate series of electrolytics toutes a similar quality increase of sonics if their (already non-polararized) "N, NH, NX types" are paralleled so that the "sexed" electrodes are reversed in respect to each other. A bit of the official article can be found in Michael Percys' pdf catalogue in the "Black Gate" cap area.

The passive implementation of this form of "self-cancelling" (anything) is somewhat akin to the lengths that amplifier circuit designers go to reduce crossover distortion in class "B" topologies.

About a week ago, I started to explore this "reported" phenomena.
    I was going to hold off for a few weeks before discussing it- but the recent Mundorf info makes it topical - now .

Some Early Conclusions: there's a lot to be gained in the reduction of "grain" or "resonances" by adpoting this approach. Charge-coupling this topolgy takes it to another level. I've implemented the 180¡ electrode swap in some of my Base capacitors as well as the 2 sorts of "Bypass" capacitors that I have. The problem is ; I don't really have enough various values to remove the fair question of ; is it just the "doubling the bypass cap values that are making these quite substantial differences" in smoothness .

Anyhow ; & it's all quite early in this process - but I can't detect "ANY grain" in my RC circuit (HF boost ) caps . It's all DC-Biased ( today ) .

Very, Very, Very, Smoooooth !

( point being ; more people need to "get a grip" on the available topologies for reducing distortions from capacitors )

The topologies are cost effective & don't require "Boutique Caps" to work .

<. Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 10-15-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Obsolete
    Nice!

Thread Information