Thread: X-Over recommendation

X-Over recommendation

Anyone have experience with an Ashly XR1001 & a DBX 223XL? Would just like some opinions before I hand out the hard earned.
    Application is to run 2 dedicated stereo subs (home Hi fi) from approx 50 or 60 Hz down.
    Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Sootshe View Post
    Anyone have experience with an Ashly XR1001 & a DBX 223XL? Would just like some opinions before I hand out the hard earned.
    Application is to run 2 dedicated stereo subs (home Hi fi) from approx 50 or 60 Hz down.
    Thanks,
    John

Hi John,

use the search button !!! theres tons on this subject !! good luck

Rich

Longish but famous XR1001 thread

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    theres tons on this subject
    right here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=2316

Velodyne SMS-1

Check out this new item I discovered for an electronic sub x-over, very nice indeed.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...ing-the-system
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    Check out this new item I discovered for an electronic sub x-over, very nice indeed.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...ing-the-system
    Not everyone loves the SMS-1, but I have found it to work quite well. I highly recommend it in a low pass only scenario. I would not use it's high pass filters.

Widget

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    Thanks guys,
    Lots of reading here....seems that these units are more for pro use than critical listening. As I'll only be using this to deal with 60Hz & below & continuing to run my main speakers full range (Klipsch La Scala's - shock horror)....shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Thanks for the input,
    John

As I'll only be using this to deal with 60Hz & below & continuing to run my main speakers full range (Klipsch La Scala's - shock horror)....shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Then you should seriously consider the Velodyne unit... it is deigned just for such an integration and it will help tune the sub(s) to your room and blend them with your mains... something a pro audio active crossover isn't designed to do.

BTW: You might want to crossover a bit higher than normal with La Scalas... if they are not getting boundary reinforcement, they are pretty weak below 80-100Hz or so.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Then you should seriously consider the Velodyne unit... it is deigned just for such an integration and it will help tune the sub(s) to your room and blend them with your mains... something a pro audio active crossover isn't designed to do.

BTW: You might want to crossover a bit higher than normal with La Scalas... if they are not getting boundary reinforcement, they are pretty weak below 80-100Hz or so.

Widget
    Thanks for that.....sounds good...what about connecting into my system. I had a look at the user manual from the Velodyne websitehttp://http://www.velodyne.com/produ...5&sid=560i575k but can't quite figure it out. What I am aiming to do is preserve the sound of my mains & not interfere with them at all. So I want to run a completely seperate system for 2 stereo subs. So I need to come out of my pre, through the crossover, into a seperate power amp & then to my 2 subs. Do you think I can connect the VD that way?...maybe only as a summed mono output.
    Thanks,
    John

Not everyone loves the SMS-1, but I have found it to work quite well. I highly recommend it in a low pass only scenario. I would not use it's high pass filters.

Widget
    You would be correct on that. Only a 6db per octave slope out on the high side.

The unbalanced “Output” RCA connections provide an 80Hz 6dB/octave high pass crossover for use with systems that do not provide adequate bass management.

So I need to come out of my pre, through the crossover, into a seperate power amp & then to my 2 subs. Do you think I can connect the VD that way?...maybe only as a summed mono output.
    Thanks,
    John
    Yes, if you have a second set of pre-outs ava. you will run them into the VD. Your fronts will not be affected by this addition.
    Jeff-S1A

Do you think I can get a stereo output from this unit? Please see attached.
    The owners manual doesn't give any details as to the 3 LFE Outputs.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am pretty sure you will only get a summed output, however, I wouldn't sweat it... a summed output below 80Hz or so is really not a handicap... if you are really convinced you must have stereo subs, you could employ a pair of SMS-1s.

I have used 2 and 4 subs in a number of systems... they have all been summed.

Widget

I am pretty sure you will only get a summed output, however, I wouldn't sweat it... a summed output below 80Hz or so is really not a handicap... if you are really convinced you must have stereo subs, you could employ a pair of SMS-1s.

I have used 2 and 4 subs in a number of systems... they have all been summed.

Widget
    Sounds good.....will check it out at the VD dealer.
    Thanks for all the help guys,
    John

There are three unbalanced “LFE” outputs (for attaching up to 3 subwoofers in parallel). An EQ output provides the necessary sweep tone and calibration outputs which get routed to your AV processor/receiver. Though we would have liked to have seen the ability to independently EQ two subwoofers in the SMS-1, we recognize it would complicate setup for most end users of single subwoofer systems. In some cases, EQ’ing just one sub in a multi subwoofer system will do the trick nicely. For instances where additional EQ’ing is needed, the SMS-1 has the ability to be daisy changed to additional units to make it a reality.

Every thing below 100hz is omni directional. If you are using a 5.1/7.1 receiver the sub outs are mono. If you are using a preamp that is dedicated two channel pre-out your VD x-over will sum them to mono. As Widget stated you will need two units for stereo bass but at the given frequency not neccessary, nor will you notice it. Save the $ you can run three subs off of it.

I run one front and center and two in the rear all in phase acoustically, and what a kick in the pants it is. Good luck with your adventure, post some pics when you get'er done.
    Jeff-S1A

Thread Information