Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the lights be dimming to the beat?

Should the lights be dimming to the beat?

Hi guys,
    I was just playing some tracks from Absolute Benson at about 104db & I noticed the lights started dimming in rythm to the bass line
    I have a 100wpc amp hooked up to the 4313B's. I played other artists at same levels but it did not have the same effect on the lights, the bass line was pretty prominent on that particular song :dont-know
    Anyone ever experience anything like this, all this stuff must be on the same circuit & then some.
    Oh well, I just thought it was funny, I can only listen to music at such levels for a so long while anyway

(Seems like anything with a substantial bass line will induce the "night club" effect in this part of the house.)
    Just Play Music.

WOW, maybe you need one of those $900 power cords.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hi guys,
    I was just playing some tracks from Absolute Benson at about 104db & I noticed the lights started dimming in rythm to the bass line
    I have a 100wpc amp hooked up to the 4313B's. I played other artists at same levels but it did not have the same effect on the lights, the bass line was pretty prominent on that particular song :dont-know
    Anyone ever experience anything like this, all this stuff must be on the same circuit & then some.
    Oh well, I just thought it was funny, I can only listen to music at such levels for a so long while anyway

(Seems like anything with a substantial bass line will induce the "night club" effect in this part of the house.)
    Yes, there must be a lot things on that circuit!!

The $900.00 power cord would just smooth out the flutter, would it get rid of it entirely
    I guess I'll keep it the way it is, ads a nice kinda ambiance to the whole scene
    Just Play Music.

The $900.00 power cord would just smooth out the flutter, would it get rid of it entirely
    I guess I'll keep it the way it is, ads a nice kinda ambiance to the whole scene
    It may not be caused by excessive load. It may be a bad power socket or loose connections at the switchboard. I would investigate further.

Allan.

I agree with Allan. There is likely something loose or corroded between you
    and the electric company.

Lights are on the same breaker/fuse as the amp?
    (guessing so)

Other lights in the house (other circuits) -not- also dimming to the beat?
    (this would isolate the issue to the service panel and a particular breaker)

Left alone, this has the potential to cause a hot spot, circuit failure, or worse.
    Then again, you could be just fine for years. I'd suggest taking it easy until
    you have the time/means/interest to have your house wiring looked at.

At the very least, don't plug heaters, irons, hair-dryers, etc... into that
    circuit ... It was a very sad day when I spent a very ineffective 15 min
    trying to soak my neighbors' house with a garden hose while waiting for
    the fire dept to arrive. I turned off their gas and breaker panel right away,
    but the room of the house where the fire started was too engulfed for
    my garden hose to do much of anything. Unattended iron + maybe bad
    wiring. Totaled the house. Fortunate that no one was physically hurt.

Yer neutral has impedance issues....

bet that wudnt be happenin if you ran Bose's
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Hi Guys, hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Mr. Zilch, Grumpy & Allan, jcrobso, thank you all, I'll be sure to have this little issue looked into. This matter is restricted to the second floor of my home which is in all actuallity a fairly small area, two bedrooms & a small bath. I know the whole upstairs is on one circuit, so maybe spitting the upstairs up would be a good idea. Unfortunately in my area (& this may be the case elsewhere in the country) electricians are like surgeons with their fees

Grumpy, the tale of your neighbors incident is very sobering, I will not even begin mention what I have hooked up on this circuit suffice it to say I will be much more careful till the matter is looked into.

Thanks again guys!

From HiFi to HiFi safety, this site covers it all
    Just Play Music.

Electrical standards

The outlet circuit should be separate from the lighting circuit. As I recall US wiring is Star ie individual outlets have a direct cable back to the fuse / breaker box. You prolly want to check the guage of the cable to the outlets and scale them against the load that you have. Most likely too light a cable and poss poor connections.As it happens your lights are giving you a warning.

Thanks Mac! Yes, lots of investigative work to be done for sure, the fun never ceases.
    How was your fourth hope you had a good one
    Did the tourists arrive yet?
    Just Play Music.

If I was you I would inspect the terminations on your breakers and neutral bus in your breaker box. Make sure that the screws are tight and that there isn't any bad corrosion between the wire and the terminal. My house had the same problem and it was due to corrosion and loose screws on my neutral bus. Of course if you are not comfortable or familiar with this kind of work I would call an electrician as there is some hazard. Also it could be elsewhere in the circuit but I would bet that it is in the box. Sometimes rain water creeps down the incoming feed to the box and causes this.

Mike

Hi Mike!
    Yes I think the whole thing is going to have to be looked at in detail, & no I do not mess with things electrical, not my forte, I'll leave it to the pros.

Thank you
    Just Play Music.

Did the tourists arrive yet?

I know of a couple from this forum who have not as yet !! Yes loads this year now that the £ has tumbled this is much less expensive for the europeans in particular. Thats the ones who have not heard about the midges ! BZZZZZZZZZ Bite Scratch

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    I know of a couple from this forum who have not as yet !!
    Dont be surprised when Seawolf, Heather, Emma & I materialize at your beloved Clachan Inn at Drymen Square
    Just Play Music.

Dont be surprised when Seawolf, Heather, Emma & I materialize at your beloved Clachan Inn at Drymen Square
    Brilliant!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information