Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSOTM, Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    So, I guess I'm the only one stuck with the hybrid disc whose SACD player won't recognize the SACD layer?

Sucks to be me
    Is your player a dedicated CD only player or a DVD CD/SACD palyer. If it is a DVD player you have to go into the set up menu and tell it what part of the SACD you want it to play. (2 or 5 channel)
    Jeff-S1A

"DSOTM DVD-A" is choosen automatically on my Pioneer player.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    "DSOTM DVD-A" is choosen automatically.

when you play DVD-Audio discs on your system, the default mode is DVD-A instead of DVD-V.
    On my OPPO, I go in and select my preference in Settings, I recently switched it from DVD-A to DVD-V
    and NOW I get that menu you showed

Now it allows you to select either Dolby Digital 4.1 or DTS 4.1 for your audio -
    and many DVD-As have both (my Beatles Love disc allows me to make that choice,
    once my DVD player is set to output RAW data)

Not your fault - DVD-Audio discs have a DVD-A mode (!!) as well as a DVD-V mode - easy to confuse that!
    Maybe they should have named them DVD-M discs for multi-Media
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Right, but it allows you to select either Dolby Digital 4.1 or DTS 4.1 for your audio -
    and many DVD-As have both (my Beatles Love disc allows me to make that choice, once my DVD player is set to output RAW data)
    ... to shed more light on the settings:
    My player Pioneer DV-575A chooses DVD-A automatically when available. If I want to listen to other formats than DVD-A then I have to go into the "Home Menu" and choose "System > Options > DVD-Playback > DVD-Video". (Afterwards DSOTM DVD offers DD4.1 or DTS4.1.)
    There is an AUDIO key on the remote control for channel control, but it is not functioning with all DVDs.

BTW. my player chooses SACD automatically too. For the CD layer I would have to go into the menu which I try to avoid. For a simpler CD testing I have choosen digital out from the computer DVD player which goes directly into the receiver.

... just playing around ...
    Last edited by Hoerninger; 06-21-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: channel control

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    "DSOTM DVD-A" is choosen automatically on my Pioneer player.

Yours is a DVD-A??? Mine is an SACD.

I wonder how much difference there is between the two formats and if the mixes are identical? I know that the SACD section specs out far better than the DVD-A section on my Yamaha DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD unit, not that the difference is readily noticable.

Also, mine is 5.1 and Money starts out with the first "jinging" in the center channel and includes the center channel in the surround "pan."

Right - DVD-A version is mixed from the original Alan Parson's Quadrophonic Mix - SACD is not..

For the specifics of that, check out Hoerninger's POST #1 in this same thread ... he has links to all the official discussions of these discs:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...37&postcount=1

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Yours is a DVD-A??? Mine is an SACD.

I wonder how much difference there is between the two formats and if the mixes are identical? I know that the SACD section specs out far better than the DVD-A section on my Yamaha DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD unit, not that the difference is readily noticable.

Also, mine is 5.1 and Money starts out with the first "jinging" in the center channel and includes the center channel in the surround "pan."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Looking carefully into my download folder I found this:

Dark Side Of The Moon
    From the original 1/2" Master Tapes

This is the real deal. not the usual Q8 or SQ versions with all their limitations
    (limited bandwidth on the Q8, Matrixed surround on the SQ etc) but a genuine transfer from the original master tapes.
    Finally you can hear Alan Parsons mix as it was always intended to be heard in studio quality audio.
    The only "liberty" we have taken here is an additional .1 track. You can make up your own mind as to
    whether or not it is a worthwhile addition.
    It also features all new artwork in both sections specially created for this DVD-Audio release
    The disc will play on all DVD players, as it is a DVD-Audio/Video "hybrid" containing the following:

Audio_TS
    MLP Lossless at 24/96 Resolution in 4.1

Video_TS
    DTS from 24/48 Source files
    Dolby Digital from 24/48 Source files

Additionally, it is possible to play both the lossy streams from DVD-Audio players.
    Each type has it's own menus. What you can access is dependant entirely on your player.

All Authoring, Encoding, Post Production and design is exclusive to this release.

FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE THIS DISC TO OTHERS, BUT ALWAYS "AS IS" AND IN FULL.
    PLEASE DO NOT RIP AND REPOST IN ANY OTHER FORMAT. THERE IS NO NEED AS ALL DVD PLAYERS CAN READ THIS DISC,
    AND DOING SO WILL DEPRIVE OTHERS OF THE FULL HIGH RESOLUTION FORMATS USED.
    ADDITIONALLY, RIPPING TO DTS-CD WILL INVOLVE QUALITY LOSS DUE TO DOWNSAMPLING, AND WILL
    REDUCE THE LISTENING PLEASURE FOR OTHERS.

Never heard a digital version but my 30th Anniversary vinyl copy, whilst ok, is nothing to write home about either.

pdemondo
    Pink Floyd in ultra-high fidelity is awesome

Thread Information