Thread: DIY LE8 Cab

DIY LE8 Cab

I am in the process of building some cabinets for an older pair of LE8 drivers. They are 16 ohm, with Lans-a-loy surrounds, and whizzer cones.
    Other than the data on this site for the LE8T, I haven't found any recommendations for cabinet dimensions on this particular driver. In my typical ready - fire - aim fashion, I have a box mostly done with an internal volume of 1.25 ft3. The recommended port for the LE8T is 6 sq in with a 7.5 in tunnel.
    Would this also be a good port size for my drivers?

LinearTeam WinISD

Hey, John W. - welcome...

From your post, you seem the type - so why not go to LinearTeam's website and try their Freeware WinISD and model them, yourself. The Thiele-Small specs for the LE8T are within the working database.

Give it a try...

Oh, and I'm sure LinearTeam would appreciate a donation, but I seem to get hammered everytime I suggest anything like that...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

That is a good option, but I don’t have the equipment yet to accurately measure the t/s parameters for these drivers. Are there any appreciable differences between the LE8T and the older LE8 drivers with the whizzer cones?

Originally posted by John W
    ...I don’t have the equipment yet to accurately measure the t/s parameters for these drivers.
    Sorry - I must've confused. The Thiele-Small parameters ARE INCLUDED in the WinISD database - you needn't measure anything to model your cabinet.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

The WinISD program suggested the same value that the JBL document recommended. I went with a 6 sq in throat by 7.5 inches.
    I finished the speakers, they sound wonderful. On some tracks I find them a bit forward in the mid range. It could just be that they are different than what I am used to. They are surprisingly sensitive.
    Here are a couple pictures. The cabinets are cherry veneer over mdf, with a cherry edging rounded to reduce refraction.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those a beautiful!! Nice Job

Rob

Ski
    And quick too.

Paul Joppa

LE8 vs LE8T

I've never seen any data for the older LE8, but between your pictures and the old catalogs, it seems they may be quite different.

I'll start a new thread on re-coning the LE8T.

Cabinet Dimensions for LE8

HI,

Just found my old thread from six years ago!!!!! As you might guess another project that was on hold. I just bought a pair of Monitor Audio's for the family room which prompted me to start thinking about building the cabinets for my JBL's to use in the back room. Wondering if you kept the dimensions on the nice looking cabinets you built?

Thanks,

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    The WinISD program suggested the same value that the JBL document recommended. I went with a 6 sq in throat by 7.5 inches.
    I finished the speakers, they sound wonderful. On some tracks I find them a bit forward in the mid range. It could just be that they are different than what I am used to. They are surprisingly sensitive.
    Here are a couple pictures. The cabinets are cherry veneer over mdf, with a cherry edging rounded to reduce refraction.

Wow, it has been a while.
    I'll look for the dimensions, but doubt I can find them. Most of the sketches get covered in sawdust and thrown in a box. The originals are no longer here.
    Is your plan to have bookshelf or floor standing speakers?

Thread Information