Thread: Marantz model 6370Q turntable - need info

Marantz model 6370Q turntable - need info

edit: 6370Q, not 63700 - info and opinions on this piece are still very much sought after and appreciated though.

greets guys and gals, I just acquired one of these and it has been a royal pita trying to google up some info on this thing, and I got no matches for it here either, altho I wasnt expecting any.

does anyone know anything about these? im mainly interested in the following:

1: how does it stack up against the 6300
    2: assuming good/ex condition and that everything works as it should, what kind of price range could one of these bring in?

thanks.
    Last edited by wd4090; 06-14-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: I cant read! :(

P.S> its a 6370Q, I didnt notice that yesterday on account of 1) quite tired, 2) as you can see in the first 2 pictures its quite dark in this room and that Q looks just like a zero to me. but the pics show differently.

some preliminary pictures, these are before cleaning it (which i still havnt gotton to yet, heh), and before finding a better record to test it with, as you can see in pic 3 the first record i pulled out (which isnt mine, btw) is scratched all to... yeah..

under carrage with bottom removed

dig the display

notice this model has a little brush deal near the needle to clean dust, unfortunately it didnt help much with this particular album:P

So far, I like it. I need to replace the power cord on it which is going to be very easy to do thanks to that power block in there, I wont even have to solder anything. and apparently I need to get a new belt for the return home mechanism as its not auto returning when it finishes an album.

I particularly dig the transformer having a suspension, ive never seen that before.
    Last edited by wd4090; 06-14-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo

The little ball-end brush thingee looks like a Stanton cartridge to me ...
    got to adjust the tonearm higher to compensate for that ...

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/cartridg...s_681eeemk.php

Looks like a neat table!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    The little ball-end brush thingee looks like a Stanton cartridge to me ...
    got to adjust the tonearm higher to compensate for that ...

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/cartridg...s_681eeemk.php

Looks like a neat table!

hmm, I took the cartridge off and had a look at it and it is indeed a stanton, 681EEE, is this a good thing or a bad thing? im not highly familiar with turntables and accessories, I just know which ones to buy at goodwill when I see them.

it never occurred to me it may be aftermarket, as its still mounted to the marantz branded cage.

alright, well.. we're making progress at least, one more thing I now know about this particular unit. thanks for the info

find out more here...

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/marantz/6370q.shtml

playing that badly scratched record wont help the condition of the stylus any..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by wd4090 View Post
    hmm, I took the cartridge off and had a look at it and it is indeed a stanton, 681EEE, is this a good thing or a bad thing? im not highly familiar with turntables and accessories, I just know which ones to buy at goodwill when I see them.

it never occurred to me it may be aftermarket, as its still mounted to the marantz branded cage.

alright, well.. we're making progress at least, one more thing I now know about this particular unit. thanks for the info
    yeah - in the 70s and 80s - the Stanton 681EEE was a highly noted cart in some circles - I still run one even today, but it can be unforgiving if you have noisy vinyl, depending on your other components ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

heh, no worries on that record, about 15 seconds in to listening to the pops I took that out and went and found another one, a brand new looking rocky score from my brothers collection. I also remembered this morning that I had some johnny cash albums I found at a thrift store, the san quintin live album I have is in excellent condition, so ive been listening to that.

im debating making another trip to the thrift store near my house later today to see if I can find a good album or two, as well. sadly, I dont have a collection.

From here
    http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-26-336.html
    a rough translation:
    The tonearm is a proven Jelco-design with adjustable oil damping, this arm was distributed as a seperate product by Audioqust and Sumiko, often found in Technics studio TT SP-10 II and SP-15.
    A similar arm is still offered by Jelco without damper. Jelco produced not only for Audioquest and Sumiko but also for Mission, Revolver, Roksan or Systemdek ...
    The arm is adjustable in height, the arm can be removed and exchanged with another one with "Linn-borehole"...."

all cleaned up and fully functional

Just a little update. I've cleaned it up as best I could (pretty, aint it )
    and repaired the problems mentioned before. heres the updated pics

I even made a video of it in action, but I failed to take into account my crappy camera mic being too close to the ports on my timewindows. so the audio distorts easily in the video.. sounded amazing in person though!

the link for the video is here though if anyone wants to check it out
    http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=marantz.flv

dont mind shop light, its been storming/overcast here for days and I didnt have enough sunlight coming through the window for the camera to pick up the TT well.

ps: my camera makes that album look like its warped.. I dunno whats going on with that.. as far as my eye can see, it isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by wd4090 View Post
    Just a little update. I've cleaned it up as best I could (pretty, aint it )
    and repaired the problems mentioned before. heres the updated pics

I even made a video of it in action, but I failed to take into account my crappy camera mic being too close to the ports on my timewindows. so the audio distorts easily in the video.. sounded amazing in person though!

the link for the video is here though if anyone wants to check it out
    http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt=marantz.flv

dont mind shop light, its been storming/overcast here for days and I didnt have enough sunlight coming through the window for the camera to pick up the TT well.

ps: my camera makes that album look like its warped.. I dunno whats going on with that.. as far as my eye can see, it isnt.
    Hi do you still have the Marantz 6370q tt. I just got one. How does it sound?

Thread Information