Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2nd east coast LHS social event

I'll be brining some bass traps that we can put in the corners and do a before/after listening test on the acoustics of the room. My experience is that they really tighten up the bass, but I don't know if it's universal in every room. It's not an equipment comparison, but it may be educational and interesting. And it takes seconds to stick them in the corners and see if we hear a difference.

Oh, did I mention I'll be bringing beer? We can compare if we are happier before or after a couple of them.

Wifredo states

Hi All,

Since it seems that the priority is preamps and amps, I can bring a parasound preamp and a crown or adcom amp(s).

thanks, wilfredo

Anybody else want to add to the official list

L7vs250 in the local 4 way shoot out interests me too Phil

So the 1st official bring along is Phil's L7s
    2nd I would like to to hear the Parasound from Wilfredo
    3rd Dhar 's Plynth amp (please correct!)
    4th bass traps from Steve V
    5th ???? RTA
    or at least a RS hand held (Wilfredo?)

Duane are you out there?
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    So the 1st official bring along is Phil's L7s

Whoops! Now I've got to find time to get the van inspected . . .
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

more important you show w or wo L7!

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Got an 8:30am appointment tomorrow for inspection. What could possibly go wrong? The van is only 18-years-old with 210,000 miles on it. Shall I make a list? Then I've got to manage getting the spare L7 pair out of the upstairs bedroom and into the van!

I'm actually only posting to see if the site is still working since there have only been three posts in five-and-a-half hours!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

took the day off and slept late - wonder if Phil got off ok or if they put him into lockup?
    He's got that darned old van with strange Beemer logos and fins ...

I'm not planning to bring any speakers - L200-w/duck lips are too heavy to manage alone,
    4341s even worse and won't play without the associated biamp rack ...

didn't sound like any interest in the L100Ts with T3 crossovers -
    s'ok, can't seem to sell them right now either ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

First failed inspection, ever! Hit for outer tie-rods and a loose headlight. I'll fix the headlight (deer hit, apparently; it would cost more than the van is worth to pay to have it done) but I ain't doing the tire-rods on this old POS, and the inpection station can't do it today, either. So, most likely no L7s. I know the L5 will fit in the BMW trunk (BTDT) but the L7s would need at least the whole backseat for just one of them.

I will shoot for de-racking a Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ-44 for Mark to try, maybe a Crown PS-400 amp if I get energetic. Hoping to arrive tomorrow around 11am if that's all right?

Spent some time enjoying a new toy: Tascam DR-1 SD recorder, bought with Amex points, at $100 off list-price, with a 20% points discount, and a $20 rebate. New features in the latest firmware update make it a winner for my use. Anyone ever use one?

Bummer on the failed inspection and the lack of the chance to compare the 7 to 250

Anytime is fine and if it is too much hassle I wouldn't worry about eq but if it makes it great! Didn't know it was still in a rack

11 is fine I expect to peak at about 1:30 but it it seems like less than 10 if not close to 5

Haven't heard from Dhar, Duane, Mike and a couple of personal friends I invited who said they wanted to come don't know their status??? I think Duane and Dhar will be here but??? and Mike; Come on down!

Heather, if you are reading this today the only 2 things I am lacking are time to go over my wiring, and a list of what I need to be hospitable host. would like to come over and help w/either of these?

Mark

Sounds like you guys will have a great time. I desperately wanted to get down, but...........

Got yanked last minute into a bid that's due mid-next week, and it's about ..... oh, slightly less than half way done. So, the only JBL listening I'll be doing this weekend will be in my office while I work.

Many thanks for the gracious invite - hope to make the next get together!!! Have a blast (well, not literally - that could be tragic.)

P.S., Sorry I didn't respond earlier - actually, this is the 1st time I've been on the forum in a couple of days due to traveling for work.

This evening's project

Try to answer a question no one's ever asked—and for good reason: Will a pair of L7s fit in a 1995 BMW 5-Series sedan?

Story at Eleven.

Mike,

I just can't understand some people's priorities!!!

Well I hope you can make the next one

(Seriously,thanks for posting)

I am looking forward to live updates on video of your progress, maybe front seat together with the back down if they behave Phil

I just finished outside cleaning up now for the inside then stereo stuff, so far behind it is funny. I haven't even plugged in the SMS1 much less used it since moving things around

back to work!

Well, I'm not sure I'd do this on a regular basis with my good pair, but the spares actually fit pretty well. No folding seats so they're just laid across the back, on their sides, with a sheet of plexi between and a rug over. If my 105-pound wife and I can get them in, I'm hoping a couple of big burly men will be able to extricate them without damage…to the car! Now I'll find out how much of the spare system I'm willing to dismantle to make them work. I'll see if I have some Y-connectors to run from your source and maybe we'll set them up with their own system. Perhaps 2xCrown PS400? Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four, Pro-EQ-44, and a spare Pro-Power-Four just for grins. I don't think the rack will fit in the trunk but the individual components should. Not sure If I've got enough outputs or Y-connectors to bi-wire the L7s and split your source, unless you've got two outputs. We'll see.

See you in the AM.

Excellent! I am sure at some point a big burly man will show up, other wise greatly looking forward to this!

Mark

A blink of light, a delicate sound of thunder, and ... its OVER!
    There weren't many pictures - there was just too much to do to stop and pose like that,
    but I did catch a brief snap as they were setting up the center stage with 250tis and L7s for an early shootout ...
    BMWCCA (Phil) on the left, Steve in the center, mark (Opimax) on the right)

First up, compare the sounds of the 250tis with CC networks from Europe vs the black pair with TiBQ (?) networks ..

Next, shakedown time - pitting Mark's Caramel 250tis against Phil's economy leader L7s (woofies pointed to center)

Other tests followed with Wilfredo's Parasound preamp against Phil's stack-o-Soundcraftsmen -
    and...
    Do the mighty mysterious Perraux amps hold their own against the big beefy sound of Crown P2-400?
    Ya hadda be there!! (And why weren't you??)

Much fun and beverages ensued (Mark even grilled us steaks!) great fun until the weeee hours ...
    I ran for cover at 8 but it was still going on .... it may be going still!

o, those POOR dbs!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Looks like a blast. Wish I could have been there to complain about the poor positioning of the L7s.
    Out.

Thread Information