Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd east coast LHS social event

When we first began discussing a second mid-Atlantic event, one theme that seemed to get a lot of play was comparison of the 8"-woofer-and-smaller JBLs. We seem to have a lot of players in that range. I believe we may have bumped it to 10" during that discussion to include the L96 and others (probably in fear of the L5 walking away in the 8"-and-under competition). The amp comparo suggestion was simply in response to Ian's championing of the Perreaux and I figured we could easily do that since Opi has one (some?).

I had also suggested a continuation of our first theme of comparing the 15" 4333 3-way with the 12" L7 4-way, but now comparing the L7 to the 14" 4-way L250/250ti, also housed chez-Opimax. That's certainly three themes to consider but we have to be realistic about what we can easily handle without diminishing the social value of the day.

For the 10"-and-under comparo, I can provide (not to duplicate what others have):

6.5":
    •L1 (706G, 035TiA)
    •L20t (115H-1, 035Ti)
    •LX22 (406G, 026Ti)

8":
    •L5 (708G, 706G, 704G, 035TiA)

10":
    •L96 (LE10H-1, LE5-12, 044)
    •L80T (127H-1, 104H-2, 035Ti)

If we expand that to 12" we may put a strain on Opi's accommodations, vehicle space, and focusing on a narrow goal.

For amp comparo I have two Crown PS-400 and two PS-200 as well as one Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four all of which can travel without too much trouble on my end and I'm assuming we could use Opi's 250s for that. I also have a spare pair of L7s if we want to do an L7/250 comparo. :dont-know

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    probably need a decent set of rcas too, mine are avg at best.
    "Lansing Heritage, where everyone is above average."
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

My selfish response is to see what might make my 250 sing even better and how the Perreauxs stack up to other equipment so I am not as interested in speakers as electronics. Please note the word "selfish". Also amps tend to be smaller than speakers concerned about space a litlle bit. I believe we have doubled the group but not too critical of an issue
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Well, the biamp rack is back in place - but if you want something pulled from it, speak out!

Otherwise - if interested, the L100T/3s could be brought along ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Mark,

I have several boxes of rigid fiberglass insulation that will be used for bass traps in my basement when I get to that point in the build-out. For now, they're stacked up in the garage. However, they still work well as bass traps even in the sealed boxes. Would you like me to bring a few to stick in your corners and see if they make a difference to the low end?

I loaned three boxes to a friend to try in his system. He loved the results so much that he permanently intalled the fiberglass covered with grilles he made and he's going to buy me three boxes to replace them later. I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    I'm still a maybe, but can't really plan too far ahead these days, so you shouldn't change anything on my account. 7/11 works so far.

Might want to take this off-forum to e-mails as things whittle down.

je
    That weekend's gotten densely scheduled for me, so I'm a no-go if it's still the 11th. Have fun, kids, I'll join up another time.

je

Steve, That would be great!

John, that sucks, (are your priorities in order? lol!) You will be missed (in a good way!)

Of course if things change no need to do anything but show up!

But if anyone else wants to be there please come!

We should start finalizing plans...Heather , Phil, anyone...

Also to say it mildly I am not a professional host type so please start by telling me as "host" what is expected to be here? food, liquids, utensils, dusty house, electricity....JBLs...be specific please

Official time is noon? I am up by 8 so a phone call if you plan to arrive before 10(and that is fine) just make sure i am dressed. any out of towners need any accommodations?

Address needed ? any questions? opimax at yahooo will get your questions answered and a phone number (Phil's , j/k lol)
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Also to say it mildly I am not a professional host type so please start by telling me as "host" what is expected to be here? food, liquids, utensils, dusty house, electricity....JBLs...be specific please
    I'll bring some cold malty beverages!

Are you asking Wilfredo?

he has said he will be there, I will remind him of course

Mark

Hi guys!
    been under the weather this past weekend.
    Woke up Thursday with a tickle at the back of my throat and a nasty dry cough - Friday it was a full blown fever with skull-pounder headache, Saturday was more of the same. Fever broke sunday and it seemed to ease a bit after that. Took a sick day today just to be sure its on the way out ... ugh.
    Mostly sniffles and a grumbly tummy at this point - whew.

Don't know if it was Swine Flue or ragin' Asian flu or what it was, just glad its wearing off! Don't want to share THIS gift with anyone!

If things go well rest of the week I'm still up for the sound party!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

glad you feeling better! I would miss you 2 very much stay healthy!

Mark

So, any update as to theme? What components we're planning on comparing? I'll need to know if I'll need my van so I can make time to get it inspected.

I did reply to an email from Opi recently but never got a reply back? Did I miss some notice? :dont-know
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Geez - did this go solar today and get purged?
    WTF - it wasn't an argument - just a comment on a public event elsewhere ...
    I didn't even give it a yeay or nay - I basically said it is what it is ...

Dang - it must have lit up a mod somewho ...?

Anyway, I just said Emma is speaking Sunday, and because she nursed me back to health last weekend
    when I had a swine flu bug or something and was totally out of it (a fever of 103.5 at one point),
    Anyway, because of that she fell behind in her writing so she'll probably be spending this Saturday catching up on her sermon (Won't mention the Topic, NOPE!) ...
    and she probably won't be able to make it - sorry ... (she does enjoy these sound parties!)

I sent an email out to all who said at one time or another they were interested in coming.

Phil , didn't know what to say specifically, sounded like I would wait on purchasing an EQ

I just reread your email to make sure i I understood it and found the second part w/questions and all. I stopped reading the email the st time when it started w/my text, I didn't see the 2nd part after that, very sorry!

"Any update on next weekend? Theme? Participants? What to bring along? I can even bring a Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ if you wanted to try one out. Need to figure out what I can/should bring and may have to have the van inspected if it's needed.

Got directions? Phone number?"

No real theme defined YET! As in the email/and above I am in for the electronics, anything to try that might make my 250 sing even better. I believe we have a fancy amp coming, anybody have fancy cables/wiring, fancy pre stuff, tube amp for the top end, passive bi amped

I would love to see the EQ

Phone number in the email, directions/address by spoken word or maybe i'll break down and send you my address if I must

Heather, what did I miss? either email me or maybe the clean version here
    Mark

Continuing my selfish interest (btw some others maybe interested in my selfish concerns too) anybody have an RTA portable enough to bring to test any of my systems and see comparisms of the different equipemt...

Mark

So, nobody's bringing anything along for a comparo? We'll just be messin' with Mark's system?

Or can I contribute some more variables? :dont-know

Thread Information