Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd east coast LHS social event

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Hi all,

BMWCCA pointed this thread out to me. I'm interested in joining you all for the LHS social event (if that is okay). Unfortunately, I don't have any JBL gear to share (currently own Klipschorns+Cornwalls). I have other components that I may be able to bring.

I found that the social event is on July 11th - can anyone tell me the location?

Thanks
    D
    Its basically Chevy Chase - but I'll let the homeowner do the specifics ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    That looks like a re-tread to me, but it's tough to tell from the pic.
    It does to me, too! Very odd. It does look like the cap is separating from the carcass, re-cap or not. I'd take note of the DOT number on the sidewall and contact Uniroyal. Not unusual for there to be a recall that might get you some credit based on tread life. Strange that they'd be re-caps (and still match) since there are off-brand tires that would have been cheaper than re-caps. Did you buy the CRV privately or from a dealer?

Normally in any vehicle with a viscous drive or traction control, or even ABS, the important thing is to have tires with the same rolling radius. ABS will consider gross mis-matches as a speed differential and either apply or disable the ABS. Traction control normally uses the same speed sensors as ABS and will adjust depending on the system by applying brakes or affecting throttle, constantly, in attempt to "correcting" the speed differential. I've seen some cars that throw the traction control light and limit top speed when two different sized tires are on the car. Different brand as long as they hold close to the nominal size shouldn't make any difference.

That being said, Yokos are a good choice and I don't think they make a bad tire. I'm running them on six vehicles right now (disclaimer: they are one of our top advertisers, too!). $330 for four new Yokos mounted and balanced locally isn't a lot of money these days, considering what other things cost and the price of petroleum. Good peace of mind, too. I buy all my tires by mail from The Tire Rack (disclaimer: our largest advertiser) and their customer service is the industry model. The last pair of Yokos I bought from them were made in Salem, VA, so I also supported our regional economy.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I had the tires replaced at my friend's place, Radial Tire Company.
    The owner, has been a friend of mine since around 1980 ... we all used to hang out and go to Summit Point way back when - even did the first 2 Detroit GP (the REAL Formula 1 GPs) back then ...

Anyway, I bought that '04 CRV used at 36k from CarMax, right after my 2000 Civic Si was stolen ... Those tires were on it when I bought it, and have gone almost 40k since then ... (I'll hit 74,000 by next weekend ...)

Didn't look like a recap, that may have just been chewed from rim-riding 2 miles to get off the interstate.
    But based on the way that tire looked, and the fact that no one seemed to have anything good to say about Tiger Paws these days (Pontiac Wide trackin' anyone?), I felt better dumping them all for something more contemporary.

That was like, $330 out the door, labor, tax, all fees included ...

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It does to me, too! Very odd. It does look like the cap is separating from the carcass, re-cap or not. I'd take note of the DOT number on the sidewall and contact Uniroyal. Not unusual for there to be a recall that might get you some credit based on tread life. Strange that they'd be re-caps (and still match) since there are off-brand tires that would have been cheaper than re-caps. Did you buy the CRV privately or from a dealer?

$330 for four new Yokos mounted and balanced locally isn't a lot of money these days, considering what other things cost and the price of petroleum. Good peace of mind, too.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

owner's house PM me at opimax at yahoo dot com

I want to know how you be transporting your klipsch horns

Tires look like they wee driven flat, no recap IMHO, glad you are OK
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Tires look like they wee driven flat, no recap IMHO, glad you are OK
    We know they were driven flat but not for long or there'd be that tell-tale circumferential groove cut into the sidewall. Looks like the tread is definitely separating though. Would be nice to know what caused the pressure loss, failure, puncture, whatever. :dont-know

Where's that dead-horse emoticon when you need it?!

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

at least 40000 miles , leave the horse alone
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Opimax,

I sent you an e-mail. Please let me know if you received it.

Thanks,
    D

Okay, so how many of you can do DVD-Audio on your system ... ?
    I've come across an interesting 'Audiophile" disc and will make copies ahead of time for all attendees ...

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    at least 40000 miles , leave the horse alone

ME !

Also lets get opor theme going and start deciding on what to compare and bring over...amps were mentioned earlier and just a few speakers??? I spoke Dhar yesterday (nice chatting with you!) has a Plynth (sp?) amp I convinced him to maybe bring , Phil wanted to specifically listen to the Perreauxs...so ...???

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Okay, so how many of you can do DVD-Audio on your system ... ?
    I've come across an interesting 'Audiophile" disc and will make copies ahead of time for all attendees ...
    Well, I use a DVD changer as the primary source in the living-room system (CDs and the kids' movies) if that's what you mean. Also the HK DVD single-play has replaced my old Sony single-play CD upstairs just because it sounds better. No TV in that room.

Well you don't need TV, but it helps if your DVD player has a "6 direct" mode so each channel's output can feed an amp and speaker in your room. Otherwise, you loose information for 6 channel media (5.1 is 6 channels)...
    Oh no! Hymie don't play that stuff!

Well you don't need TV, but it helps if your DVD player has a "6 direct" mode so each channel's output can feed an amp and speaker in your room. Otherwise, you loose information for 6 channel media (5.1 is 6 channels)...
    Oh no! Hymie don't play that stuff!

What, with all your L5 and L7 speakers - you could do awesome surround for movies and shtuff!!

4 crown amps (1 for front pair, one for rear pair, bridged one for center and
    bigger bridged one for a Sub)

What, with all your L5 and L7 speakers - you could do awesome surround for movies and shtuff!!
    My daughter thinks her favorite movie Transformers sounds just fine on the two 4345s, thanks! In my small home I might as well use headphones as try to put six channels in one room. What's a sub?

The sound already dwarfs the 27" CRT TV anyway.

My daughter thinks her favorite movie Transformers sounds just fine on the two 4345s, thanks! In my small home I might as well use headphones as try to put six channels in one room. What's a sub?

The sound already dwarfs the 27" CRT TV anyway.
    Hokay, No disc for you! No disc!

NEXT!

4 responses and no suggestions on themes! stay on track here, some . is this going to be an amp compsrism meet? if so looking for just a few accurate speakers for base lines to compare . probably need a decent set of rcas too, mine are avg at best.

Thread Information