Thread: What is the difference??????

Gary L

What is the difference??????

New to the forum but grew old with Altec.
    I am attempting to build my own model 19 clones and need to know what the difference is between all the components.
    I just purchased a pair of 416-8A Woofers. I also purchased a set of 811B horns & drivers listed as having been removed form 19s.
    I found the Heritage site and in my search I learned there are 416-8As and 416-8Bs. What is the difference between the A & B 416s????
    I am assuming the 811 horns from the 19s will have the symbiotic drivers but would love to know what the difference is between all the different drivers I see being sold on Ebay and at Audiogone.
    I see 802-Gs and 808-Bs and a host of other drivers being offered but have no idea what it all means and how I can work with them.
    So where is the info???????????

I think I will have some fun here and hope to run into alot of knowledgable audio nuts like me.
    My expertise is in cabinetry and to be frank, I do not posess the apptitude for all the electronics. Sure, I can hook up the speakers but knowing all the ins & outs of cross overs and horn drivers and 416s is a bit past my skill level.
    With a little help from some of you I just might make my dream speakers become a reality.
    I owned model 19s for 30 years, absolutely loved them and have missed them ever since we down sized the home and had no room for them.
    My plan is to build them a bit higher and less wide to fit FIXED wall space and try to acheive as close as possible the great sound I loved.
    I am also a furniture builder and I want very much to build my new speakers in the Mission or Stickley style to match existing decore. MDF on the inside and quarter sawn oak out.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks. Gary L

Stickley style

Welcome, Gary. What part of the Catskills are you from. I have a lot of relatives on my mother's side in the area around Fleischmann's and made many visits to that gorgeous country during my childhood.

Sorry I can't help you with any Altec lore, but I can suggest that you venture with the search function on this forum.

" I am also a furniture builder and I want very much to build my new speakers in the Mission or Stickley style to match existing decore. MDF on the inside and quarter sawn oak out.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated."

I've had this same idea, although the particular project for it is a ways down the road. I can't say I'm a furniture builder, but I've done some stain-grade finish carpentry, so I think I can do well enough with speaker cabinets. I may depart somewhat from the Stickley style to other modes in the Arts and Crafts movement. I have been studying examples of the style, including some photographs I took a couple of years ago of the collection at Cheltnam, England. (They let you photograph in the museums over there!)

The biggest problem I see is the need to harmonize the angularity of those styles with the sonically very good idea of rounding corners. Have you thought about that part of it?

David

There is no functional difference between the 416-8A and 416-8B. Altec changed the magnet structure from a built up steel casing to a cast pot. This made no performance difference. If the horn driver you have is from a Model 19, then it is either a 802-8G or 902-8A. The former has an Alnico magnet and the latter a ferrite magnet. Both are considered equally good. Neither use a Symiotic diaphragm since this was made for higher power handling in professional use. If has poorer high frequency response than the aluminum diaphragm used for home systems. The 808's were the pro drivers. They are basically the same as an 802 with the exception that they employ a symbiotic diaphragm. Again, this is not the driver you want for home use.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Gary L
    Thank you Dave and Don.
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it but, my original 19s had what they called a "radial pahased tangerine plug".
    I always assumed this was the simbiotic driver but I think you are telling me I have been wrong all these years.
    I do want to use these HF Drivers in my home and I need to replace a diaphram in one.
    Where to get this part is a question I have also posted.
    Thanks again. Gary

Thread Information