Thread: Really good turntables?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Really good turntables?

Doing a little research on turntables and I have come across two brands that do look nice. Rega and Music Hall, anyone knows if these two are real performers? thanks. ...

Both are very reputable companies; are there any particular models you have in mind? Both manufacturers make products that range from a few hundered dollars up to the $3-5K range.

A quick Google search will net you some reviews of current and past products such as this one: http://www.stereophile.com/turntable...ega/index.html

Best,
    - Mike

Just e-browsing at present. The Music Hall MMF-5.1 and the Rega P3-24 are both to my liking, but are high dollar tables for someone who lost their very well kept lp collection??

We used to run the Mitsubishi LT-5V linear tracking turntable with B&O cartridge...the only issues we had were drive belt life, but a great sounding unit in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Just e-browsing at present. The Music Hall MMF-5.1 and the Rega P3-24 are both to my liking, but are high dollar tables for someone who lost their very well kept lp collection??
    You raise a very good point, actually. I know some may disagree with me, but if most of your LP collection is going to be pulled together from second hand sources, I'd argue that it's very easy to quickly hit the point of diminishing returns by investing in a high-end table. You have to assume that at least 1/2 of what you're going to purchase will have been played on substandard equipment with extreme tracking forces, poorly maintained and/or cheap styli, etc. Purchasing an extremely detailed setup to play less-than-optimal source material may actually wind up being counterproductive.

So, if you plan on re-building your collection from vintage stores, etc., then I'd recommend sticking with a decent vintage deck and upgrading the cartridge (or minimally the stylus) as a good starting point. On the other hand, if you plan on purchasing new vinyl (180 gram new pressings / reissues, etc.) then getting a highly-capable new table is well worth the investment.

Just a consideration based on my specific experiences with vinyl...

Do you see the "classic records" coming back strongly with the 180grams reissues, and their availability being sustained? Or is it a niche market with little variety and supply?

Another factor to consider is the availability of deep diving styli that cartridges like my Dynavector have. The shape is supposed to go deeper into the grove than any previously used cheaper stylus/cart did, playing virgin groves in worn records. Within reason, of course.

I agree that throwing cash at playing vinyl is a slippery slope. New vinyl is expensive and vintage disks were often a crapshoot with bad presses interspersed with good.

Really nice 180 gram reissues tend to be very limited editions. Once out of print, prices climb even further. Not a game for the faint of heart or the thin of wallet.

Tables, I use a P5 and it is very nice. I have not heard the P3 but it must be good. Regas work very well indeed and cost much less than the pretty boutique brands. The P9 is as good as it gets and I have paid less for cars, but the competition costs more like a house than a car.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information