I scored what seemed to be a good deal on ebay for this amp. To my dismay when I hooked it up there was a loud distracting hum from the transformer, which isn't acceptable in my studio environment. I know it's the transformer because it happens when only the power is hooked up, and I can hear it emanating and vibrating from the large transformer. I tried tightening the screws, no help. I also tried some rubber washers on both ends, didn't seem to help much. I understand with old transformers this just happens, as is the nature of transformers to vibrate. Is it possible to replace the transformer with something stock/cheap? I might try setting the transformer loose on a vibration absorbing pad of some sort so it doesn't resonate through the chasis, but I have a feeling there is still going to be noticeable hum.

Sometimes I think I waste my money trying to get bargins and they end up needing more work than they are worth... and I should have just bought something new. Thanks for any ideas/advice...