Thread: Shearer Horn

Arrow Shearer Horn

Dearest friends!
    Please help me to find the original drafts (with sizes) of Lansing Manufacturing Shearer Horn
    Model 75W5.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...co/shearer.htm
    Thank you very much in advance! Wish a lot of Success and Happiness to all!
    Thanks in advance! Good luck and happiness to you!
    Best regards,
    Andrey

Quote Originally Posted by wwf108 View Post
    Dearest friends!
    Please help me to find the original drafts (with sizes) of Lansing Manufacturing Shearer Horn
    Model 75W5.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...co/shearer.htm
    Thank you very much in advance! Wish a lot of Success and Happiness to all!
    Thanks in advance! Good luck and happiness to you!
    Best regards,
    Andrey
    I don't think original plans exist. That's something I'd love to have, too.

Quote Originally Posted by originaltubino View Post
    Great Horn, but there is no draft with sizes ! There are only external sizes!

16hz lover
    Great Horn, but there is no draft with sizes ! There are only external sizes!
    That is my post about the Shearer horn I just acquired. I also have reprints of the original RCA literature with some drawings showing all the dimensions. I will have to scan them in as a file for you as of now, I don't have them on my computer. I tried last night to scan them, but I don't have it set up right, so give me a few days.

Andrey, I looked through my literature and cannot find any dimensions that would assist you in building these cabinets. The original blueprints may no longer exist. It is possible to make a drawing by measuring an existing cabinet; perhaps 16hz lover can do this for you. The RCA W bin should be quite close in dimensions to the Lansing, as both were derived from the Shearer.

I am curious as to your need for the plans. Are you planning to build these cabinets for home hi fi? As bass horns go the Shearer design is not particularly well suited, as the axial length is only 40" and the cutoff frequency is fairly high, probably 80Hz. or so.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Steve,
    have you ever had an opportunity to hear some of the
    1970s adaptations of the Shearer for disco 'subbass' applications?

I am thinking of the somewhat 'famous' Richard Long and Associates "Bertha" or "Levan horn"

the two were basically the same, with the Levan having an additional flare bolted to the Bertha...

here are a few examples in installations...

and a drawing of what I understand they may look like in crosssection...

Levan horn on bottom

and to note, the PDF does have some errors on the power ratings,
    not all 1W/1M
    Attached Images Attached Images

16hz lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post

I am curious as to your need for the plans. Are you planning to build these cabinets for home hi fi? As bass horns go the Shearer design is not particularly well suited, as the axial length is only 40" and the cutoff frequency is fairly high, probably 80Hz. or so.

Steve: Now you're making me nervous, are you saying there is really nothing below 80hz coming out of these? The one guy who said he used these touring in Austrailia seemed to have high praise for the bass output. I thought this design had serious ouput down to 40hz??????

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 16hz lover View Post
    That is my post about the Shearer horn I just acquired. I also have reprints of the original RCA literature with some drawings showing all the dimensions. I will have to scan them in as a file for you as of now, I don't have them on my computer. I tried last night to scan them, but I don't have it set up right, so give me a few days.
    Dearest friends!
    Thank you very much for you generous help. I would appreciate the scanned files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Andrey, I looked through my literature and cannot find any dimensions that would assist you in building these cabinets. The original blueprints may no longer exist. It is possible to make a drawing by measuring an existing cabinet; perhaps 16hz lover can do this for you. The RCA W bin should be quite close in dimensions to the Lansing, as both were derived from the Shearer.

Thank you again. I am going to use Horm in a big home space - more than 3 937 " x 3 937" !

Thank you all very much for your help!
    I found a sketch, but not sure in it's authenticity
    Name:  3269765.jpgbass horn W (FLOOR) 15(tda).jpg
Views: 19090
Size:  74.1 KB

Ocean of Success and Happiness to all of you!
    With strong wishes of success and joy every moment!
    With respect, Andrey.

Oh boy Steve, open mouth insert foot. I was speaking theoretically, as I've never actually heard a large Shearer bin in operation. I would expect it to have really impressive mid bass, but not much of the pants flapping stuff below 50Hz. To some extent the high flare constant might be offset by the huge mouth area and if used with drivers having a low resonant frequency.

16hz lover, you will be in the position to let us know once you get yours up and running. Please do report back with listening impressions and, if possible, some measurements. I am green with envy, as firing up one of these monsters is something that I have always wanted to do.

Louped garouv, I visited a web site one time that had drawings of a number of bass bins such as you have shown. Wish I could find it now. As I recall, some of these have more interior folds than a Shearer, providing considerably longer path length and slower flare expansion.

16hz lover
    [quote=wwf108;254319]Dearest friends!
    Thank you very much for you generous help. I would appreciate the scanned files.

the drawings I have are much simpler than those...my scanner has issues now, I'll get them to you asap.

I found a sketch, but not sure in it's authenticity
    It is a design by E.G.Beck, one among others.
    http://www.egbeck.de/speaker.htm
    (alle Entwürfe von E.G.Beck 1974-94), Nachbau ohne Gewähr)

It should be stacked with at least one more horn. QTS<0,25 recommended.

16hz lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    It is a design by E.G.Beck, one among others.
    http://www.egbeck.de/speaker.htm
    (alle Entwürfe von E.G.Beck 1974-94), Nachbau ohne Gewähr)

It should be stacked with at least one more horn. QTS<0,25 recommended.

I got my Shearer horn in my garage today and have started cleaning all the 70 year old dust off of it. I went out and bought some new Semi-Gloss paint for it, so it will have to be completely painted inside and out before mounting the woofers in it. I also have to cut a new plate for the back woofer enclosure and the original one got tossed recently.

I found the Ebay listing for the RCA multi cell horn and it has the drawings which are protected by Auctiva, but you can click on them and see the drawings.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=250402401192

16hz lover
    I forgot to add you can print out the drawings once you bring up the Auctiva drawings. If you print out the drawings and have a scanner that works, you can then send out the drawings as files to future interested people...may scanner just has issues now. I would suggest everyone print out the drawings asap before the Ebay auction time limit is reached and they take all the information down from the site.

Here are some more pics after I got the cabinet in my garage. Still covered in 70 year old dirt.

Then I used Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner on it, then painted it with Valspar "New Black" exterior semi-gloss paint ( high solids ).

I'll get it flipped over and work on the backside, cleaning and painted again.
    Last edited by 16hz lover; 06-07-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added information

Thread Information