Thread: Vertical horns

Vertical horns

What are all the known iterations of JBL using a mid or hi horn in a vertical arrangement?

Maron Horonzakz
    Yes I would like to know more about the verticle horns my self. Are they diffraction slots? are they some other horn thery for horizontle despersion.

The throat for the large format 2365 horn was modified and used in the short-lived JBL "concert series" floor wedge monitors.

model numbers 4802(A) and 4805(A)

it was re-machined and given the number 2396 - I bought a handful at the original sale in '97 but they are all gone.

aside from that ( and the 2405 ) nothing.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Concert_Series.pdf

Those butt cheek horns alway looked kind of sideways to me. And didn't we see an experimental two way witha big vertical horn and a 14 inch woofer on this forum recently?

Hi Mike

I'm not sure that I understand your question. Are you asking why JBL mid horns are centered on the same axis as the woofer or are you asking about rectangular horns that have the long side aligned vertically. The latter are rare exceptions.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Vertecs

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    Hi Mike

I'm not sure that I understand your question. Are you asking why JBL mid horns are centered on the same axis as the woofer or are you asking about rectangular horns that have the long side aligned vertically. The latter are rare exceptions.
    The latter, as in http://www.jbl.com/home/synthesis/pr...yn8&SynId=Syn8

Originally posted by Don C
    Those butt cheek horns alway looked kind of sideways to me. And didn't we see an experimental two way witha big vertical horn and a 14 inch woofer on this forum recently?
    Yeah, like that; somebody help point me to that again, please.

Hi Mike,

I am guessing these are what you are looking for... I know nothing about them.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mike

The Synthesis and Project Array series (shown in Widget's post above) are the only ones I can think of off hand. I asked the designer of the latter about the philosophy of the vertical horn. He stated that the diffraction slot used in the throat of CD horns works better when aligned vertically. Personally, it looks problematic to me given that I would expect pronounced reflections off of the floor and ceiling. However, I'm no expert and their designer is.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Don,

Do you know if those "Project" speakers were ever built? That image I attached looks like a CG rendering. They appear to be using the 435Be and 045Be or the less expensive aluminum diaphragmed versions.

Widget

Finished prototypes were definitely built. They were on display at the 2004 CES. The design prototypes I saw at Northridge used the Be versions of the compression drivers. However, it would appear that the production systems use the AL and Ti versions. There are a number of press releases here:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie...G=Search&meta=

At the time I saw them, they were proposed as the replacement for the TiK series. I don't know if this is still the plan.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

That's retro

If you look at the 2342/2344 4425/4430/4435 that is how the difraction slot is placed.

Rob

RIP 2009
    Wow - over $25K for that "Project Array" setup, with an additional $4K per side if you want the extra subs! 'Looks like I'm going to be using the versions we all know and love here for quite the foreseeable future...

John

Obsolete
    Yeah... well... fortunately the versions we all know and love aren't half bad.

Thread Information