Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great Marantz day on CL

Hey Seawolf, flip 'em this:

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

got the Horizons up & going

had forgotten how much I like these little guys (well, little next to the 250ti's)
    ..only 1 foam was bad,,think I may pull the good one anyway , just to be matched. Grills attach with velcro , these are original HORIZONS with L-166 in small type....sound just as good as my L-166A's.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    had forgotten how much I like these little guys (well, little next to the 250ti's)
    ..only 1 foam was bad,,think I may pull the good one anyway , just to be matched. Grills attach with velcro , these are original HORIZONS with L-166 in small type....sound just as good as my L-166A's.
    Nice, are those JBL risers or aftermarket? I need some***

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Nice, are those JBL risers or aftermarket? I need some***
    simple to make aftermarkets ..I posted photos , search if interested.

got the 2385 back today...Doug cleaned all controls, refurbed relays, adjusted DC offset and idle current ..replaced all lamps...put on 4 Marantz feet (suspect they were removed to fit into cabinet) ..... first time I've seen it light up..

He is a pro , and said it is one of the most powerful , musical receivers that he'd ever worked on.

lit up:
    Those are GREAT rigs. NOICE score!
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE View Post
    Those are GREAT rigs. NOICE score!
    I was kinda sad to see it go away, but the new owner is a 2270 guy who will appreciate it...Easily the best sounding receiver that I've ever heard.

the guy who sold the L166s , B&O tt and nice MD deck has been out of work since Oct ...a tile cutter, I believe... just got this email , sounds like he got a job that many of us wud like

"Hey Tom, I just wanted to drop a quick line and wish ya luck with your surgery on Thursday. I've put up almost all of my amps on Craigs List. Bought a new one that really rocks and though I won't sell them all I'll see which ones go first and then pull back the rest. I'll probably sell two of the four. Anyway I have a bit of interesting news. I'm going to accept a job at a used record store MUSIC TIME in Beaverton. The manager runs it by himself and really needs help. I'm also going to work on getting him up and running on the internet. This guy is sitting on an AMAZING collection of mint records like you would not believe but he is holding them back until he can set up a good interntet sales program. He keeps them all stored in he back of the store and operates on a whole other inventory to sell through the store, it's crazy but wow what a collection. We're looking right now for a good programer to build a program that will act as an iterenet store front and give us tracking and current sales numbers on our inventory. It's going to be fun. As soon as your up and moving after your surgery you HAVE to come and check it out. Anyway say hi to your wife for me and I'll be talking at ya soon.....Ken" .

Hey HJ ..is this something you can do ?

Well , I got the B&O 4002 back from Doug today...BMWCCA was right..problem was solidified lubricant ...sounds nice now.
    (and 90 day warranty)

Last week I was cleaning the garage and found a SVN flag that I picked up in 1969,,told the OL "hey, I just found $50" ..she thot I'm crazy , so just to prove my point, I put in on da Bay ..sold for $51 ...then sold the Marantz tt (first post in this thread) ...so..counting those 2 sales towards the B&O and its repair..the new TT cost $10 out of poket. I like it

The B&O doesnt have a ground wire , but seems OK w/o it ..also DIN plugs with rca converters ..no dampening suspension that I see, but fairly immune to howling.

Classy looking table - always liked B&O's styling, and the one table I had by them sounded surprisingly nice. Not having to go through the ordeal of cartridge alignment and setup is an appealing feature as well. Only downside is the carts are getting a bit rare to come by, though there was still a company that manufactured reproductions when I had the tables. A bit pricey, but it's to be expected with a specialty item.

(Just Googled it - it's Soundsmith):http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/boall.html. Never did wind up ordering from them, so no personal experience.

So, now to the important part ............... how's it sound???

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    So, now to the important part ............... how's it sound???
    well, I asked Doug , "my" repair tech if it was worth putting money into ..his answer was that the cart/stylus lasts forever and sounds vfine..he just sold same model/same condition unit for $349.

Been listening to Ronstadt at dinner on the B&O ..(Simple Dreams) there's really not much more than I cud ask from in its sound or operation ...full auto-belt drive , Danish modern with real teak trim. one nice feature is that you can back it up flush to a wall and the cover will still open. The DIN converter runs to 4 rca's, so I surmise that its from the quad era. ?

doug replaced the rca's with gold ones also as the origs had connectivity issues.

All sounds good!

And nice choice in tunes - inspired me to throw on some vinyl of my own

So tonight a guy comes over for the Horizons ....and he discovers that a brilliance pot is flakey, and he is correct....so I let him have my L-166a's at the same price.....I pull them reluctantly from the LR system and say goodbye...

OK...what to fit in the hole made by the Horizons ??? havnt listened to the 4410's in a while and they are the right sized cabinet,,so in they go.... WOW..they continue to impress me...mebbe not as much bass as the L166's,,,but the incredible detail ...they really coax the sweetness out of Linda.. (both Simple Dreams & Prisoner in Disguise)

cleaned up pots on 2nd pair L166's and they went away this morning ....geeze , I have NO JBLs' with 12ers any longer ....but sure am enjoying the 4410s.

L26 -2x,L40.L56,4410,250ti is all the JBL thats left.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Classy looking table - always liked B&O's styling,
    I can wholeheartedly agree with that, very sharp! (the cover looks brand new) Plus it sounds good
    Just Play Music.

Stopped by Audio Specialties yesterday ...Doug had 2 new to him Marantz receivers ....a 2385 & 2500

These are like the Holy Grail of older Marantz's ....anyway, he prices fairly and wants $795 for the 2385 & $1395 for the 2500....

He's usually open to a little bargaining and puts a 90 day transferable warranty on the items he sells ...

Dont know much abt the 2500, other than much more power & built in O-scope.

I was watching 2385 prices on eBay and the "who knows what you are getting/no warranty" ones there average between 600-1000 , so he is in the middle of the range, but offers valuable extras.

He may ship..but not sure

Thread Information