Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Ultima2 Series

Arrow Revel Ultima2 Series

Thanks to a heads up from Mr. Widget, I couldn't be happier to announce the launch of the flaghsip Ultima2 Series by Revel. Here's the complete release:

Revel Launches Flagship Ultima2 Series Loudspeakers

– Revel’s new Ultima Salon2, Studio2, Gem2 and Voice2 are the much anticipated successors to the world-renowned Ultima Series loudspeakers, offering dramatically improved sound quality and aesthetics –

CEDIA EXPO, DENVER, CO, September 14, 2006 – Following closely on the heels of the announcement of its 10th anniversary, leading high-performance loudspeaker manufacturer Revel is announcing its next generation of Ultima loudspeakers. A direct result of an extensive R&D initiative employing the vast resources of parent company Harman International Industries (NYSE: HAR), the new Revel Ultima2 Series sets the new benchmark for high-performance loudspeakers. The Ultima2 Series comprises four new models: the Salon2 and Studio2 floorstanding loudspeakers, the Gem2 on-wall or stand-mounted loudspeaker, and the Voice2 center-channel loudspeaker. Each represents major advancements in both sound quality and design.

At the heart of the loudspeakers are new transducers that were specifically designed for Ultima2 from the ground up. They represent a major improvement in performance from the original Ultima Series with added sonic benefits. Featuring dual neodymium magnet motor systems with sophisticated distortion reduction mechanisms, titanium diaphragms and oversized voice coils with ribbon wire, the Ultima2 Series woofers and midranges represent the state-of-the-art in transducer design. The new 1-inch tweeter, common to all four Revel Ultima2 Series loudspeakers, sets the standard for transparency and low coloration with its pure beryllium dome and custom-designed waveguide. Each Revel Ultima2 Series loudspeaker is individually hand-tuned during manufacturing to match the original engineering reference to within a fraction of a decibel, thereby guaranteeing unsurpassed consistency from loudspeaker to loudspeaker.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the Ultima2 Series cabinets feature smooth rounded lines that blend with a wide variety of architectural styles. The elegant design extends to the magnetically attached grills eliminating the need for mounting hardware, while the acoustically optimized baffles and smooth surfaces of the transducer offer a visually arresting look when the loudspeakers are without their grills. The Ultima2 Series is available in a beautiful high-gloss mahogany wood veneer or a high-gloss black lacquer finish that complements any décor.

The Ultima Salon2 and Studio2 are floorstanding loudspeakers that offer unparalleled sound quality. The Salon2 is a 4-way system with three 8-inch woofers, a 6.5-inch mid-woofer, a 4-inch midrange and a 1-inch tweeter. The Studio2 is a 3-way system for applications requiring a smaller physical package, utilizing two 8-inch woofers, a 5.5-inch midrange and a 1-inch tweeter. An integrated access panel conceals the cast aluminum input panel and controls, hiding them from view, yet providing easy access to the controls and for wiring. The access panel is integrated with the shape of the loudspeaker giving it a finished look when viewed from any angle.

The Ultima Gem2 is a 3-way loudspeaker that can be used as a high-quality front loudspeaker, either on available stands, or wall-mounted using the included bracket, in stereo or multi-channel applications. Its low profile enables its use as a state-of-the-art flat panel display loudspeaker. Although the Gem2 loudspeaker is compact, its 3-way design utilizing an 8-inch woofer with a 2-inch voice coil wound with ribbon wire provides astonishing output with both low dynamic compression and distortion. The Gem2 is equally optimized for use as a surround loudspeaker offering ideal timbre matching with other Ultima2 Series loudspeakers.

The Ultima Voice2 loudspeaker is primarily intended for use as a center-channel loudspeaker, but is also designed for use as “three-across” (Left, Center, Right) front loudspeakers in applications in which its orientation and dimensions are more suitable (such as above or below a screen). The Voice2 loudspeaker utilizes two 8-inch woofers together with a 5.5-inch midrange, all with huge 2-inch flat-wire voice coils to reproduce an extraordinarily wide dynamic range with freedom from compression. The result is uniform sound quality, regardless of output level.

The new Revel Ultima2 Series Loudspeakers represent the pinnacle in performance and design standards, carrying on the Revel tradition of designing and building the world’s best speakers. In the new Ultima Salon2, Studio2, Gem2 and Voice2, audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts alike will revel in the ideal marriage of function and form.
    Out.

I'll post my feelings on this line later today when I have a few minutes. I looked around on-line for some photos of them but haven't found any yet. The models at the show were all prototypes... production units won't be available before CES if memory serves.

Widget

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I'll post my feelings on this line later today when I have a few minutes. I looked around on-line for some photos of them but haven't found any yet. The models at the show were all prototypes... production units won't be available before CES if memory serves.

Widget
    Can't wait to hear them.

Ambiguous: Can't wait to read your feelings. Also, cannot wait to hear the speakers.
    Out.

Smile In the meantime

Here's teaser from AVguide.com with a picture.

http://www.avguide.com/news/2006/09/...ma-2-speakers/

The last paragraph contains a mini review:

In a brief listening session, the new Salon 2s were very impressive, exhibiting almost shocking levels of “see-through” transparency, lively and lifelike dynamics, full-range bass, and the ability to resolve exceedingly fine musical details that would simply get lost in most other loudspeaker systems. Having heard the already excellent original Salons many times, I can vouch for the fact that the Salon 2 takes a big—to my ears, very big—step forward in performance. Whether you can afford them or not, you really should make an effort to hear the Salon 2s, if only to use their sound as a benchmark.
    Out.

Smile A picture or two

The folks over at Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity have a couple shots of the Ultima 2 lineup.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...6-page-08.html

I've included one below. It's quite a change from the current Ultima look.

As Widget correctly pointed out in another thread, the tweeter is now a Be. Then I pointed out that it's swaddled in an EOS Waveguide, though I don't think Revel (or Harman) is going to call it that.

Even more interesting is the rest of the driver complement. It's all Ti inverted dome drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

OH MY GODDD!!!!

that's kind of what I've been wanting to do with my performance series...

Be tweeters...
    Ti Domes.......

Oh my God, Oh my God....

yes, Yes, YES!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Then I pointed out that it's swaddled in an EOS Waveguide, though I don't think Revel (or Harman) is going to call it that.
    In the presentation I attended I believe they did call it that... they did take offense, (quite politely) when I referred to the many forms of JBL technology used in the drivers... they referred to it as Harman Technology.

Widget

Smile A picture with the designer

Just as JBL fans have their fabled designers, including our current hero, Greg Timbers, the Revel fans swear by the work of Kevin Voecks, who came to Harman and the then new Revel from Canada in the wake of Dr. Floyd Toole. They worked together there at the national lab. (Canadian National Research Council)

Stereophile placed him next to the Ultima2 Salons and wrote this:

JA already blogged about the Ultima Salon2 demo we attended yesterday, but I just had to second his praise with an additional rave: These large speakers are incredibly light on their feet. Yes, the bass was impressive, and, yes, they sounded fabulous on vocals, but for me, it was their ability to change rhythmic directions on a tack-head that was most impressive.
    So, it seemed appropriate to post a photo of Kevin Voecks waltzing them around the room. Kevin led.
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:o...&client=safari
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Smile A tad OT

I read this some time ago, but since I mentioned Kevin Voecks, I thought I'd link to it. It says a lot about him, about Harman, and about Revel.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ks-4-2004.html
    Out.

In the presentation I attended I believe they did call it that... they did take offense, (quite politely) when I referred to the many forms of JBL technology used in the drivers... they referred to it as Harman Technology.

Widget
    You're such a rabblerouser, Mr. Widget!!

The drivers bear a striking resemblence to those in the PT's
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    OH MY GODDD!!!!

that's kind of what I've been wanting to do with my performance series...

Be tweeters...
    Ti Domes.......

(snip)
    Yeah, I'm almost as excited as you are. Check out the size of those Ti drivers: 8", 6.5", and 4" sizes. Sounds a bit familiar, eh?
    Out.

I'll post my feelings on this line later today when I have a few minutes.

Widget
    Great.....

Yeah, I'm almost as excited as you are. Check out the size of those Ti drivers: 8", 6.5", and 4" sizes. Sounds a bit familiar, eh?
    Exactly, looks REAL familar ....JBL should be doing this ( it's what I've been begging for)...

BUT I'm sure Harmon tells the companies what to do and then steals tech from everyone to give to Revel....Oh well.....

TD has a flashback?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Exactly, looks REAL familar ....JBL should be doing this ( it's what I've been begging for)...

BUT I'm sure Harmon tells the companies what to do and then steals tech from everyone to give to Revel....Oh well.....
    Well, in the end, it's all Harman, so other than our historical loyalties, I'm not sure it matters. Like Grace Slick said, "I don't care if my lettuce has DDT on it, as long as it's crisp."

Yeah, I know,

The good news is I can see a lot of possibilities here...
    Out.

Well, in the end, it's all Harman, so other than our historical loyalties, I'm not sure it matters. Like Grace Slick said, "I don't care if my lettuce has DDT on it, as long as it's crisp."

Yeah, I know,

The good news is I can see a lot of possibilities here...
    yes, I'm being picky..I know....

I'm sure they worked on the woofers to go lower.....I wonder when we can buy parts???

seriously tho, I don't care what name is on it ( I prefer JBL you understand). I've got to hear those...it's what's been in my head for a over a year now....

Thread Information