Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4350 Newbie

Raise 'em up - what?

Why not just invert the 2308 and see if that makes any difference whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Guys, you take me as someone without JBL references nor experience! Duh. I considered their physical layout before posting (it is why I chased 4345's and not 4350's, but still...).
    Not at all. And that was one of the attributes of the 4345 (as well as SAEMAN's 4346) that appealed to me when I was "shopping".
    And, it was not I who suggested that raising them would 'increase bass extension'. "Double-duh" to that one...
    No. It was here:
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenred View Post
    My speakers are sat on 6" high stands which have noticeably improved bass extension and articulation. With only one 15" woofer a side, the 4344s don't have your 4350 bass, but it is sufficient- especially with a pair of Jeff Rowland Model 7s monoblocks pushing out 700 watts into 4 ohms on the bottom end.

Peace. Out.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    4346 ? Interesting it sounds like a JBL series # I never heard of ?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Does it refer to the speaker being leaned on in this shot? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...1&postcount=59

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Does it refer to the speaker being leaned on in this shot? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...1&postcount=59

Clark
    It could be?, I missed that one by a few weeks but I did experiance the 4351!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Yep. Custom SAEman design, basically a taller 4344 for the Japanese market (click the pic):

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Why not just invert the 2308 and see if that makes any difference whatsoever...
    It shouldn't make much of a difference, though I admit I never measured one that way. I am a big fan of getting the mid horn, especially one as beamy as the 2311, at or near ear level. In the 4350 it is nearly a foot below typical seated ear height. I think raising it makes sense.

Here is JBL's published vertical response for the 2307 and 2311 with 2308.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Why not just invert the 2308...?
    You think this worth trying?

You think this worth trying?
    It's certainly an easy thing to try, but as I understand the acoustic lens theory, they perform somewhat like an optical diffraction grate. These are meant to bend the sound waves outward and have little effect vertically.

Widget

Thanks to all for the dissertations, descriptions, dissagreements and details !

I find that an odd comment about these/those.

Odder still , unless when listening you are positioned significantly out of the dispersion of the MF, HF and UHF elements. Truly?

Which makes me ask:
    Please define "pristine"? What condition are the drivers in? Has anyone worked on them, and if so, what was done?

I do believe, that if you are sitting in front of these - even in antipodeanland - you should have wonderful definition, er, by definition, so long as the drivers and internal crossover are performing properly.

These speakers are a genuine one owner prior to me. Known history along with all manuals, brochures and warranty cards. They are truly pristine imho . I have recently oiled the cabinets and can find not one flaw, chip or discouloration, anywhere on the woodwork. The baffles are a slightly different coulor and do show some minor scuffs here and there.

The drivers are all original as described by the previous owner. They were sent to Jands in Sydney, the JBL agent, some time ago for service. I am awaitng the paperwork to see exactly what was done. Apparently the cost was not small.

As for my comment on "palpability" etc, I likely did not make the context clear. Coming from ownership of several high end speaker systems, the latest being Usher AC-20's with ceramic mids and highs, I find the JBL's less able to produce the pinpoint accuracy of the midrange. This may even be a good thing overall and more of a criticism of the Ushers than the JBL's. Personally, I dont find it a major issue and am blissfully happy with the sound they produce.

Considering my coments are based on a "whole" three weeks of ownership, I may well revise them completely in time to come. With upgrades in amplification, room treatment and positioning, the issue may even dissapear completely

Yo, 'nutz...

Thanks for the added detail. I'll be very interested in that refurb info, too. The 2202A and 2440/2308 combine together awfully darn well to cover that frequency range you are talking about. Nearly seamlessly, actually. However, the 2440 does benefit from installing a new diaphragm after all the years - many here have done it, and note the improvement. I wonder if that was on Jands' to-do list? Much of their cost charges might have related to remag of those alnico motors - I hope they stuffed a new diaphragm into the 2440!

Otherwise, the woofs should have all been reconed. That would help the 2202A.

Any chance you can post some pics? We love to oogle these.

Combing off the Usher's will be a change. But, you should be aware the larger 43xx series are not "plug-and-play". They require a bit of set up - tuning to the room.

It may be you are not accustomed to the big low-end of a "real" speaker and so the MF, HF and UHF are under-balanced (gain wise) for your taste. Working with the amp(s) output(s), using differential gain, you could achieve a balance more to your liking.

Anyway, I'll be anxious to learn what Jands' has done. Maybe there are a few tweaks left...

Oh - and try inverting that 2308 lense. It should elevate the HF dispersion pattern about 3" is my guess. No sense directing it down, now is there...

The suspense is killing me

Quote Originally Posted by Audionutz View Post
    Thanks to all for the dissertations, descriptions, dissagreements and details !

These speakers are a genuine one owner prior to me. Known history along with all manuals, brochures and warranty cards. They are truly pristine imho . I have recently oiled the cabinets and can find not one flaw, chip or discouloration, anywhere on the woodwork. The baffles are a slightly different coulor and do show some minor scuffs here and there.

The drivers are all original as described by the previous owner. They were sent to Jands in Sydney, the JBL agent, some time ago for service. I am awaitng the paperwork to see exactly what was done. Apparently the cost was not small.

As for my comment on "palpability" etc, I likely did not make the context clear. Coming from ownership of several high end speaker systems, the latest being Usher AC-20's with ceramic mids and highs, I find the JBL's less able to produce the pinpoint accuracy of the midrange. This may even be a good thing overall and more of a criticism of the Ushers than the JBL's. Personally, I dont find it a major issue and am blissfully happy with the sound they produce.

Considering my coments are based on a "whole" three weeks of ownership, I may well revise them completely in time to come. With upgrades in amplification, room treatment and positioning, the issue may even dissapear completely
    Could you post some detailed pictures of your lovely speakers?

Heres the pics so far ........

And yes, the rugs have been removed and system has been considerably tidied up since

Cheers

'Nutz
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Yo, 'nutz...

Thanks for the added detail. I'll be very interested in that refurb info, too. The 2202A and 2440/2308 combine together awfully darn well to cover that frequency range you are talking about. Nearly seamlessly, actually. However, the 2440 does benefit from installing a new diaphragm after all the years - many here have done it, and note the improvement. I wonder if that was on Jands' to-do list? Much of their cost charges might have related to remag of those alnico motors - I hope they stuffed a new diaphragm into the 2440!

Otherwise, the woofs should have all been reconed. That would help the 2202A.

Any chance you can post some pics? We love to oogle these.

Combing off the Usher's will be a change. But, you should be aware the larger 43xx series are not "plug-and-play". They require a bit of set up - tuning to the room.

It may be you are not accustomed to the big low-end of a "real" speaker and so the MF, HF and UHF are under-balanced (gain wise) for your taste. Working with the amp(s) output(s), using differential gain, you could achieve a balance more to your liking.

Anyway, I'll be anxious to learn what Jands' has done. Maybe there are a few tweaks left...

Oh - and try inverting that 2308 lense. It should elevate the HF dispersion pattern about 3" is my guess. No sense directing it down, now is there...
    Thanks Bo, just tried inverting the lens and a definite improvement !

As for the full range issue, I agree. I really thought I knew what bass was - how wrong was I ...ha

Even at low levels, these babies rumble and punch like few others I have heard. I have adjusted the gain and input impedance on the MA-24's to blend them with the bass levels more accurately. This definitely helped, especially given the passive preamp/attenuator I'm using needs to see at least 100k. I run the MA-24's full range and it now works really well, to my ears at least.

They also need toeing in to establish a more stable center image of course, and that's on the to-do list. The wife helped last night to get some insulation material under them as a reviewer was coming out today to shoot some pics. I thought the blankets looked a little "low rent" ....

How many guys have a wife who not only indulges their passion but is willing to heave monsters like these around after a hard days work ? Bless her cotton socks !

Quote Originally Posted by Audionutz View Post

How many guys have a wife who not only indulges their passion but is willing to heave monsters like these around after a hard days work ?
    Good God you are one lucky man!!!

Thread Information