Thread: JBL 4311B Tweeter Problem - 4.1 ohms?

JBL 4311B Tweeter Problem - 4.1 ohms?

I bought a used pair of JBL 4311B's in apparent good condition. After extended listening it became apparent one cabinet's tweeter was not as loud as the other. I maxed the treble control on both speakers so the setting is identical, that is not the issue. I read some posts recommending cleaning the pots, I did that as best I could, it was quite a chore to get the crossovers out and I sprayed thoroughly into the back of the L-pads in the bent openings, turning the knobs. I had to remove the tweeter to get at the crossover, so while I was at it I tested it with a multimeter. The readings I got were 4.1-4.2 ohms, tweeter labeled LE25-2. I read that 3.5-3.8 is spec. Maybe this is the real issue? could the frail wire beneath the foam surrounds be the issue? I noticed that part of it was already part way pulled back, not firmly glued down. Maybe this was due to a tweeter recone?

I've been listening to the speakers a bit now and I can't tell if there is improvement, still seems weak on the one tweeter. I've also tried swapping amp channels and cables to eliminate that possibility.

Even if I sort this problem out, I feel left somewhat wanting with the high end response rolling off at 15k. Maybe I should look at getting 4312's with the titanium tweeter rather than trying to tweak these?

no issue on DCR

the DCR value you measured seems OK, eventually considering the added resistor value due to connecting wires

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The LE25-2 had a DCR of 3.6 to 4.4 ohms whereas the LE25/LE25-1/LE25-3/LE25-4/LE25-5 had a DCR of 3.7 to 4.2 ohms

Thread Information