Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best speakers?

Originally posted by Giskard
    The values so anyone can import them into a spreadsheet/graphing package such as Excel. That's the easiest way I know to be able to transpose the data.
    As requested the files in .frd format
    Attached Files Attached Files

I listened hard and wide before I purchased my 4315, 28 years ago. The alternatives then were the JBL L166 Horizon (flatter but less bass) and the Yamaha NS100 (slightly more midrange colouration and less treble).

The 'essence' of JBL sound is 15 inch bass with compression driver. The smaller models 4301, etc are simply trading on the JBL name and provide only a 'suggestion' of the real thing. With the 4311 and 4313, you get a 'taste' but hardly a mouthful.

The 4315 is an excellent speaker in domestic setting but suffers from excessive treble. Beyond 12 oclock on the volume, you need a 15 inch driver to match the top end which continues to get louder. The 077 slot is capable of slicing air. I have always regretted not having the extra $1000 to get one of the bigger models (4333, 4343, etc).

Dont buy anything JBL with less than 12 inch.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Ken Andrew
    The 'essence' of JBL sound is 15 inch bass with compression driver. The smaller models 4301, etc are simply trading on the JBL name and provide only a 'suggestion' of the real thing. With the 4311 and 4313, you get a 'taste' but hardly a mouthful.
    They are actually very well scaled for their intended applications. For some reason concepts of "scalability" and "intended application" continue to elude many people.

The 4315 is an excellent speaker in domestic setting but suffers from excessive treble.
    It sounds absolutely fantastic in the Studio where it belongs. Oh wait, there's that "intended application" thingie popping up again.

Dont buy anything JBL with less than 12 inch.
    Rubbish.

I second that post of yours, Giskard...

... all of it.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

So thats why you have your ears padded by like a Dorg ...As you Yankees say.

Ian

Figge
    The smaller models 4301, etc are simply trading on the JBL name and provide only a 'suggestion' of the real thing.

im quite shure this speaker is intended for other purposes than the 4343. a buddie of mine produces/mixes Rap/hiphop beats. and has a small studio with some computers and synth:s and samplers etc. he´s been using a pair of pioneer HPM-70, a 4-way 10" bass (jbl copy) system. that i hooked him up with a couple of years ago. he never complained about them. but today i hooked up a pair of L-19:s and tossed the pioneers out. i placed them on each side of the pc:s monitor by about 8":s. and he didnt believe his ears! natural crisp sound with believe it or not a lot of bass. he fell in love! maybe i´ll turn him into a jbl freak, who knows?. So let´s face it! a pair of 4343 would perform terrible under this condititons! first off they wouldnt fit on his studio table, and if they did the sound imaging (when sitting less than one meter from the speakers & having two 15" woofers right in the face) would be terrible.

so im with Giskard "intended application"
    Last edited by Figge; 06-14-2004 at 09:27 AM.

Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    So thats why you have your ears padded by like a Dorg ...As you Yankees say.
    Yankees can't possibly speak as well as you type...

Oh wait, you're the one hosting a group hug for your L100's. Now I get it...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Oh whats that.buzzing....gee thats a bad signal to noise ratio you got Bo.

I started at the top (4343-4345s) get it, its just that I am backward compatible with guys like you who spent 3 decades of suffering........... at the bottom.

Huggs...LOL, Well its much nicer to feel good about all those raspy years behind you.

Ian

Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 06-14-2004 at 09:05 AM.

Obsolete
    Originally posted by boputnam
    Oh wait, you're the one hosting a group hug for your L100's. Now I get it...
    It that what that satanic ritual is going on in that Resurrection thread??? Just a harmless L100 groupie hug??? I called the exorcist and got my prayer beads all knotted up for nothing!

Apparently......but I enjoyed watching.

Ian

Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
    ...but I enjoyed watching.
    IAN!!

Damned Aussie...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Now we'll have't un-knot him.....try reverse engineering a K2.

So much for lit entertainent while we await Tim's musings the his cellar.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I did these tests only to find a substitute for the 2344 as this is NLA.
    So why not combine the 2426 with the PH316? The PH316 has an 1,5" throat but JBL used Adaptors so we can too. The 1" to 1,5" Adaptor is also available from P-Audio.

OK that is a little bit off topic but what to do without 2344? I got two brandnew on german ebay. But they show off maximum twice a year
    How would this horn work with a 1,5" driver as 2447 or 2451 for example? Is there any special reason why this would be a bad idea?
    /Karl

Thread Information