Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RETURN OF VINTAGE AUDIO TRADER

ikecarumba

The RETURN OF VINTAGE AUDIO TRADER

Greetings Jibbelites,

Junior member Ike Carumba ( aka KerrB and Kerry Brown ) checking in.

Apparently folks think I am dead or in jail...but noooo...it's just that I finally broke down bought a new computer and got off of MSNtv.

My old webtv web pages Vintage Audio Traders Homepage, etc. have been deleted.

But Vintage Audio Trader is back !

The new web pages are still under construction but lots of Olde and Newe Pictures of Classic Tube Amps and Speakers - including lots of JBL stuff - have been posted.

http://homepage.mac.com/ikecarumba

Hope I'm not breakin' the rules.

Kerry

Marketplace

Hey, Kerry...

Glad for the update! Don McRitchie will likely move this thread to a better place - Off Topic - where your site won't be overlooked. So, don't be ruffled none by that...
    Last edited by boputnam; 06-04-2004 at 11:30 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hey Bo,

I don't think Kerry is selling. His site is an awesome information packed historical reference that has a fantastic number of amazing photos. It is comprised of some JBL gear as well as Jensen, EV, Marantz, McIntosh.....

Kerry,

Welcome aboard this should probably be posted in the "Off Topic" area, but please do let us know when your site is fully up and running.

Widget

I'm sure that's what I typed...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

ikecarumba

VINTAGE AUDIO TRADER

Hey guys,

Thanks Bo.

And thanks for the boost Widge...my site IS mostly just for drooling.

I do sell directly now though - not just on eBay - which is why I hope I wasn't out of line posting on the General forum.

( I will post a set sale list on my site soon - for vintage gear AND vintage LP's - but right now I am advertising only a pair of Imperials with G-610's. )

I mostly just wanted to let folks know I'm alive and kicking...I know lots of folks on this forum...even though I'm a newbie Junior member.

Kerry

JohnH
    Have you got any "corncob" midbass horns done yet? :-)

ikecarumba

Corncob horn ?

You mean my 350 Hz tractrix horns made from laminated-MDF blocks ?

Can't make em right now. The guy who owns the CC router lost his lease.

His 4-axis machine is gathering dust in storage.

The friend who got me started on that project, is trying to talk the router guy into
    opening up another shop space, but that doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon.

So I'm looking for somebody else with an $850,000 CCR ( which he won't charge me too much for, cuz he ain't usin it for much else ).

Which also doesn't seem very likely.

So it may be a while before I start making Blokhorns again.

Which is too bad, because I think they work as well as any tractrix midhorn, and they have some unique, useful features.

eBayTraderT

Router Availabilty

I have a CNC Router. Let me know if you have a .dfx file for your horn design and i can let you know if i can route it.

Also, i have laminating presses.

Might be your lucky day.

Welcome eBay!

What type of router do you have and what type of work do you do with it? For Kerry's horns you need a fair amount of Z height.

My model making company has a small router that I have used to make a few horns on, depending on the horn design, it can be a challenge. (It can be kind of fun too!)

Widget

ikecarumba
    Hey Trader T,

Thanks ! I do have a CAD file on CD. I still need to retrieve it from the router guy, but it's accurate and complete.

As Mr. Widget mentioned though, my horns are pretty deep. They are basically two joined, laminated blocks, each about 7.5 " deep x 15.5 " x 15.5 ". So your CNC would have to be capable of boring a hole through 8" of MDF.

The lamination press sounds good too. Our homemade jig is clumsy.

Another thing I'd like to do is build midbass horns ( is that what you meant by " corncob " horn John H ? of the Indianapolis H's ? as in Hornmeister John Hasquin ? ).

Which would be really challenging, as the horn depth is approx. 24".

Anyways, where are you located ? I am in San Francisco.

Kerry

JohnH
    Originally posted by ikecarumba
    Hey Trader T,

Another thing I'd like to do is build midbass horns ( is that what you meant by " corncob " horn John H ? of the Indianapolis H's ? as in Hornmeister John Hasquin ? ).

Kerry
    Yes, the midbass horns. You referred to your mids as being rough as a corncob on your former site.

John H (of the blockhorn owner H's)

ikecarumba
    Hey John,

Oh OK, that John H.. Haven't heard from you in a while. Are you still listening to 375's on the Blokhorns ?

Kerry

Hello

Very nice site, cool pics, interesting items.

Could you describe the sound of those Blonde Korina wood Jensen Imperails with the G-610,s? They are very nice cabinets, and wayyyyy before my time, and Im really curious to what they do sonically!

I love the copper magnet covers, and Im always intrigued at the materials used years ago to fabricate things.

My Grandfather had a Vitavox speaker, it also looked like furniture, but I was young and dont really remember how it sounded. Just that my grandfather used to tell me we didnt know what sounded good, all we knew was BOOM, BOOM, Thump, Thump, and exaggerated highs!

ikecarumba
    Hi Scott,

Thanks ( though it's probably time to take this off topic thread to the Off Topic forum ).

To answer your question, Jensen Imperial's can sound great in a good room.

Their main weakness is a 30 Hz hump...it's not bad though. They sound much better in fact, more coherent, than most other back horns ( the rectangular GRF sucks - imo - for instance ).

And, in Imperials, high flux, low Q G-610's sound powerful, dynamic, detailed, smooth undistorted and accurate - 30 Hz to 18 kHz - just as good, better in my opinion, than any of the 604's and Tannoy's. Great with tube amps. Very good stereo imaging.

My 4-way all-front loading horn system ( Stephens 103's in old K-horns as subwoofers with D-130A's, 375's and 077's ) sounds better though with much better imaging.

Kerry

JohnH
    Originally posted by ikecarumba
    Hey John,

Oh OK, that John H.. Haven't heard from you in a while. Are you still listening to 375's on the Blokhorns ?

Kerry
    2441's

Thread Information