Thread: 4430 & 2405 questions?

4430 & 2405 questions?

First off- Thank you to the forum members for the advise and guidance on building my first pair of 4430's!

Sooooo...the modifications now begin. I would like to add a pair if 2405's to the mix, basically turn them around to bounce of the front wall so as to add some "depth" to the sound. How can I go about this?

Another Question-

Before the 4430's were finished I came from the world of klipsch (can i say that around here?) anyway... I am noticing a harder edged treble with the jbl horns than anticipated. AND! The drivers are used-they came out of a system that was installed in the 80's- Any ideas or is this the nature of the beast?

Thanks

Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice Pix-

I will be more specific. I would like to run the 2405 off the same amp as the horns but take them up to around 8000hrz. I am running the 4430's with an external crossover. What do I need to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordwall View Post
    Nice Pix-

I will be more specific. I would like to run the 2405 off the same amp as the horns but take them up to around 8000hrz. I am running the 4430's with an external crossover. What do I need to add?

Are you saying that you are starting them at 8k or rolling them off there? If you are starting them at 8k you might need/want to roll that 2425h off at 8k or you are going to have a spike/overlap at that given frequency if you don't. Might be a tad harsh, I think you will definitely here it. Analyzed with pink noise you will see it for sure.

Do you have some pics yet of you project?
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by Nordwall View Post
    Sooooo...the modifications now begin. I would like to add a pair if 2405's to the mix, basically turn them around to bounce of the front wall so as to add some "depth" to the sound. How can I go about this?

Another Question-

Before the 4430's were finished I came from the world of klipsch (can i say that around here?) anyway... I am noticing a harder edged treble with the jbl horns than anticipated. AND! The drivers are used-they came out of a system that was installed in the 80's- Any ideas or is this the nature of the beast?

Thanks
    1) You could try putting a 1 mfd capacitor on the tweeter, wire this up to the horn output and simply turn the tweeter around to determine if you like/dislike this effect. Try both in and out of phase. If you like it, you could tweak from there.

2) Maybe you have an objection to the "titanium" sound? (Some of us can hear this difference.) Try to borrow/obtain a driver with an aluminum diaphragm and see if that better suits you.

up the amps

Get a larger amplifier so it doesn't clip. That D75 is *only* 35 watts per channel and will clip on even low level dynamic program material. Min should be 150.

Studio monitors are meant to have 3db of headroom ( 75 watt driver = 150 watt amp ).

sub

Hello,
    I agree, some pictures of my amplifier racks.
    Stéphane
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information