Thread: New system, new wiring $?$?$

New system, new wiring $?$?$

Putting a new system together, the forum has been helpful, So I am back with another question. I am cableing everything from scratch, speaker wiring (w/niles switching) component connections and the like. Would like to have some recommendations for effective, reasonable cost, system wiring. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Putting a new system together, the forum has been helpful, So I am back with another question. I am cableing everything from scratch, speaker wiring (w/niles switching) component connections and the like. Would like to have some recommendations for effective, reasonable cost, system wiring. thanks
    I never found the Niles boxes to be satisfactory in a hi-line system. I "switched" to separate amps to drive separate speakers. Or completely separate systems in each room. I'm sure others will have an opinion more refined than mine. I just didn't like the resulting sound and felt I was missing something.

As for wiring, I just use 14-gauge Lowe's speaker wire in bulk, but then I don't know the length of your runs. The expectation is that 14 is good to about 30-feet and 12 to about 50-feet.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I never found the Niles boxes to be satisfactory in a hi-line system. I "switched" to separate amps to drive separate speakers. Or completely separate systems in each room. I'm sure others will have an opinion more refined than mine. I just didn't like the resulting sound and felt I was missing something.

As for wiring, I just use 14-gauge Lowe's speaker wire in bulk, but then I don't know the length of your runs. The expectation is that 14 is good to about 30-feet and 12 to about 50-feet.
    Thanks, had no experience with the niles, hopefully there will be more info too come. How about "patch cords" I have to do all wiring and cableing, have nothing. Is that how Lowes labels the bulk speaker wire, as "speaker wire"? And having to do 3 rooms I believe I will need some type of switching "network", could plug and unplug, kinda inconvinient though. Also I might have to have the speaker wires run across or close to AC runs, ofcourse will try an avoid this but its gonna happen somewhere. How 'bout them patch cords???

How 'bout them patch cords???
    Monster Cable - I-300MKII - Interconnect Cable 3 pr=$30

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=MC300MKII
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I only use the Niles selectors for outdoor speakers or non-critical areas, to me they've always ruined the sound (reducing high freqs and killing the stereo image).

TiDome has recommended the ProCo switchers, they look great but may not have the functionality you need.

je

Is that how Lowes labels the bulk speaker wire, as "speaker wire"?
    Yes, "High Performance Speaker Wire Made in U.S.A." printed right on the cable; in bulk on spools, or by the foot. I believe the also have jacketed two-conductor speaker wire especially for in-wall installation but you'd have to check locally.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Niles speaker selectors

The Niles speaker selectors are OK, provided you use the high power models (HPS-4, HPS-6). However, use one pair of speakers at a time, or in such a manner that you don't have to use their "Protection" circuit for critical listening. The protection circuit puts a 4ohm power resistor in the circuit with your speakers, so you lose power and damping factor. If you are doing critical listening, avoid any models with autoformers also (SSVC-4, SSVC-6).
    -Hope this helps.

Thread Information