Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustical treatment the DIY cheep approach!

JBL 4645

Arrow Acoustical treatment the DIY cheep approach!

Is it not easy for one who might be sceptical about room acoustics to take a different approach and use common materials, like household goods to some cheap fabrics? Then make his and hers own treatment within less than £$100.00 pounds/dollars?

I was looking at the different shapes from plastic ready-meal microwave meals to Pringles for diffusers and even pillows as some type of absorbent or other?

There are so many cheap items out there that one might not even consider fabricating into practical acoustic device rather spending enormous amounts of money on few tiny overpriced products.

Picture of the front corner kitchen shows some items I’m considering using. I buy enough of the ready-meals each month I might as well stack up a few hundred and make them into a diffuser of sort?

Clean them up obviously and spray paint them a different colour.

Any thoughts on this and yes laugh away if you want because I can turn the other cheek as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Why don't you just nail a few hundred rolls of toilet-paper-still-on-the-tube
    to the wall - or - maybe glue thee rolls, end on ...

that soft fluffy paper would absorb all kinds of high freqs ...

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Is it not easy for one who might be sceptical about room acoustics to take a different approach and use common materials, like household goods to some cheap fabrics? Then make his and hers own treatment within less than £$100.00 pounds/dollars?

I was looking at the different shapes from plastic ready-meal microwave meals to Pringles for diffusers and even pillows as some type of absorbent or other?

There are so many cheap items out there that one might not even consider fabricating into practical acoustic device rather spending enormous amounts of money on few tiny overpriced products.

Picture of the front corner kitchen shows some items I’m considering using. I buy enough of the ready-meals each month I might as well stack up a few hundred and make them into a diffuser of sort?

Clean them up obviously and spray paint them a different colour.

Any thoughts on this and yes laugh away if you want because I can turn the other cheek as well.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    the ass option of sound

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    the ass option of sound

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Why don't you just nail a few hundred rolls of toilet-paper-still-on-the-tube
    to the wall - or - maybe glue thee rolls, end on ...

Now that’s funny. But very impractical LOL yeah the room would look fancy with bog role stuck to the walls.

Wouldn’t a straight narrow walls make for sharp sound due to the sheer flat surface? Unlike one that has carefully placed diffusers and some absorbent too reduce the brittle sound that is most common in untreated rooms’ such as mine and many more alike.

I’m just looking for facts and then means of ways to tackle it without spending hundreds!

Your priorities are in perfect order, live long and prosper*

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    Your priorities are in perfect order, live long and prosper*
    “I will say good luck”
    Spock STAR TREK 2009

Well I placed cardboard, tins glass and plastics in separate bags and place it in the dustbin.

I still need to get the window sorted if I’m to place any type of diffuser or absorbent fabric; I need to get the window sorted.

Wink Well, the age old fix was egg cartons!

Yes, take your egg cartons and fasten them to the walls!
    I'm not sure how well the new plastic cartons would work, but I do remember seeing pictures years ago of someone who did this.
    Take one of those rippled foam bed mattress pads, fasten on the wall. Cover it with a sheet if you don't like how it looks.

Hi Ash,

Why don't you get some auto-carpet and stick it on the walls? It's cheap and simple and it solves a lot of issues. Or, purchase some second hand black drapes and hang them in such a way that they are not flat against the wall but create a wave effect, ala, a movie theatre.

Allan.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi Ash,

Why don't you get some auto-carpet and stick it on the walls? It's cheap and simple and it solves a lot of issues. Or, purchase some second hand black drapes and hang them in such a way that they are not flat against the wall but create a wave effect, ala, a movie theatre.

Allan.
    Evening Al

Its been mentioned before carpet will only deal with mild range, hmm, question is what range in my room and in yours, how does one test it for that range that is just a bit on the bright side??

As to the carpet I know the stuff you mean. I think ASDA packs it in there car section car mates, but I think you mean that fabric that is often found in the boot that is stuck all around to make it look neat and cosy, well it depends on the situation if you happen to find yourself in the back of the boot?

So I might need to look at Halfords over at Holdenhurst Road and see how much it is and how many meters there is on the role.

I’m also going to pop over at Dorset reclaim next week and see if there is any carpet on the cheap or carpet tiles like I planed to do last year, but the funds where getting low and I had to abort that idea.

My dad says he as some carpet but I’m still waiting?

I might keep a look out for some drapes or curtains at reclaim and other as well, other is kinder of elusive that thing that is that the back of the mind, but once you see it, yes it starts to click.

Well cheers for the reminder Al, having fun listening tonight or is it still morning?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    I'm not sure how well the new plastic cartons would work, but I do remember seeing pictures years ago of someone who did this.
    Take one of those rippled foam bed mattress pads, fasten on the wall. Cover it with a sheet if you don't like how it looks.
    Good ole egg trays spot on!

Does anyone know what frequencies they deal with?

Unless I plan to break Paul Newman’s egg challenge and buy loads of eggs as I like fried eggs yummy. Or they can be used to make mayonnaise and I haven’t made real mayonnaise in over 20 years. Or I could hang out at ASDA, no they don’t do the large egg trays!

I need to find store that does and ask nicely for the egg trays. They always look at you, and you can tell what there thinking. He’s using them for room acoustics. LOL

Well what else would I be using for 100 chickens laying eggs at home!

As for the bed mattress I’d need to get a good supply of it. You can’t and don’t believe in mixing up different, types, that could be challenge to look for.

my 0.02

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post

note : egg cartons for ostrich eggs should be better in low frequency range (1/4 wavelenght ...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

JBL 4645
    Post the URL link I can’t open egg for some strange reason?

Thanks

Delay that order! I managed to open it I saved it as rather than open as.

Cheers

So the **stars located to the sides of the frequencies indicates the frequencies that had some effect, no?

So the **stars located to the sides of the frequencies indicates the frequencies that had some effect, no?
    ** indicates only the center frequency value of the standard octave filter bands

Effect is linked to the absorption Sabins value (0 = no absorption, 1 or 100% = total absorption)

JBL 4645
    ** indicates only the center frequency value of the standard octave filter bands

Effect is linked to the absorption Sabins value (0 = no absorption, 1 or 100% = total absorption)
    Such as 1/3 octave as mentioned in the report, interesting.

Right I follow you, 0 none and 1, right, understood.

Egg trays I’ll put those inexpensive items on the shopping list.

Cheers for that.

And if the egg trays don’t work I could always buy a few hens and lay some eggs and sale them off.

Well cheers for the reminder Al, having fun listening tonight or is it still morning?
    Hi Ash, Its 11 am Saturday morning here. Not much listening going on but I am working on some guitar stuff.

Al.

Thread Information