Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis® Calibration Experience

JBL Synthesis® Calibration Experience

*I haven't asked anyone's permission to do this, so keep that in mind. Obviously, I'm doing it anyway.*

Sometime soon, I will have the calibration day of what Chris Neumann tells me is an actual Synthesis® One Array in my "temp" install. It's costing so much that it might be semi-permanent.

Anyway, this is an infrequent event for any LH member, and I thought it would be worth sharing with a small number of members. By "small number" I mean three or four people.

The question arises as to how to do this fairly and also return some value to the site, which has kindly hosted my evolving Synthesis® drama. Here are my thoughts. Bear in mind that none of this is in play at this time, so don't jump the gun. Wait for the official opening of the opportunity later in this thread.

As I get closer to scheduling the calibration day, I plan to announce the opportunity to come and experience it. It could be any day of the week, but there will be notice beforehand of the day and time, at least several days in advance.

When it is confirmed, I'll make the announcement here, and the first three people to donate $33 (or more) to LH and indicate that they want to attend the calibration will be invited to the event. In addition, one of the first three can invite an additional person by making an additional $33 donation after they've been notified that they've been guaranteed attendance. That will be the first person to donate the additional $33.

Whether he knows it or not, Bo will report to me the names of the first three donors. If fewer than three make the donation, then only the number who actually do will be invited.

In addition to witnessing an actual JBL Synthesis® calibration with Harman's exclusive calibration software, there will be the chance to see and hear a few other JBL systems, such as the Performance Series 5.1 MCH music system, the S/2600 pair, an SVA 5.1 system, an XPL200 pair, and more. We may watch a few minutes of Master and Commander or Lord of the Rings just to loosen things up.

There will even be some burgers and dogs on the BBQ and perhaps some brews in the cooler.

At this point in time, these are my thoughts. I hope some of you find it of interest.
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    Sounds cool. If I were a little closer I'd sure be wanting to attend. Good Idea Doug.

Why not do an ebay auction for this, with 3 items?
    That would be easier and cleaner for sure.
    If people pay and do not get their ticket that will generate frustration...

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    If people pay and do not get their ticket that will generate frustration...
    As owner and host I would not be inclined to show completely foreign people, and this could happen, the way to my extraordinary gear.
    It could be me who will be frustrated later.

I think it is a great offer by TiDome to the forumites.

That could be a private auction

I think something like "the three members that pay the most can come" is cleaner than "the fastest three members can come, and the others do not get them money back". Plus the auction could even gather more money.

Anyway, that is just silly talk from me as I would never be able to attempt

80sKid
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    ...I think something like "the three members that pay the most can come" is cleaner than "the fastest three members can come, and the others do not get them money back". Plus the auction could even gather more money...
    IMO, such a thing shouldn't be about "who has the deepest pockets."

I believe a method that provides equality for all members is much more fair.

So I would submit that this should be a raffle. Names would be randomly drawn from a list of those who say they want to participate and WILL make the requested donation to LH (should their name be drawn).

One person would keep the list of who has entered the raffle and they will scramble the list at raffle close. Then, another person (perhaps the site owner / forum master) will post a public message with the winner numbers he has randomly chosen. The first person would then look at the list and determine what names correspond to those numbers.
    Last edited by 80sKid; 05-22-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    As I get closer to scheduling the calibration day, I plan to announce the opportunity to come and experience it. It could be any day of the week, but there will be notice beforehand of the day and time, at least several days in advance.
    Sounds like fun. I'll check on air fares!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
    IMO, such a thing shouldn't be about "who has the deepest pockets."

I believe a method that provides equality for all members is much more fair.

So I would submit that this should be a raffle. Names would be randomly drawn from a list of those who say they want to participate and WILL make the requested donation to LH (should their name be drawn).

One person would keep the list of who has entered the raffle and they will scramble the list at raffle close. Then, another person (perhaps the site owner / forum master) will post a public message with the winner numbers he has randomly chosen. The first person would then look at the list and determine what names correspond to those numbers.
    This is a reasonable proposal, though it would mean more work for Bo. Let's see if he has any comment.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    As owner and host I would not be inclined to show completely foreign people, and this could happen, the way to my extraordinary gear.
    It could be me who will be frustrated later.

I think it is a great offer by TiDome to the forumites.

This idea is a work in progress, so keep the comments coming. Thanks!
    Out.

This is a reasonable proposal, though it would mean more work for Bo. Let's see if he has any comment.
    Hey, Doug...

I have no problem with this whatsoever! You ingenuity and generosity never cease to amaze. I'll let you handle the raffle bit - you have proven to be a very fair man - and the tallying of the donations by me will be the easy part.

There will even be some burgers and dogs on the BBQ and perhaps some brews in the cooler.
    What kinda brews?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    What kinda brews?
    Maybe this kind?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Nice offer and rare opportunity. I'm not clear of what's required given
    the iterations, but if I can make it (schedule-wise) and clear the selection
    or raffle process, I'd be honored to donate and attend.

I'm waiting for three things:

1) I get everything done this weekend that I'm supposed to get done. (I'm pretty confident, actually.)

2) I schedule the installation and calibration day.

3) I announce the date and open registration for the raffle in this thread, give it a couple of days to run, contact the three lucky entrants, confirm they make the specified donations to LH with Bo, and we're off!

Out.

As noted in another thread

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&postcount=178

I should be ready for the calibration after this weekend. Once the calibration equipment is reserved, I'll announce the date here, and the registration can begin.

Chris has graciously agreed to have us observe the process, as long as we're well-behaved. I told him we'd be eating and drinking to excess, so that should be no problem.

Okay, I actually told him we were all decent blokes and would be glad for the experience.

He thinks it could take a week or two to get the equipment reserved from JBL/Harman, since it's in limited supply, maybe 15 kits (which he put together BTW) distributed around the world. I'm pretty lucky to have him handling this part.
    Out.

Thread Information